Cornwall Football Forum

Goonhavern Withdraw!

GOONHAVERN announced on Wednesday morning that they are withdrawing from the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League's division one west – only three days before the start of the new season.

Goonhavern, who were due to face Mousehole away on Saturday, are facing a league fine of £1,000 for failure to give notice of their resignation by December 31 of last year.

A statement from the club said: "At a committee meeting held last night (Tuesday), it was agreed, in the interest of the League and Club, that Goonhavern AFC withdraws its team from the South West Peninsula League.

"The club would like to express its thanks to the management committee for their support during our time in the league.

"The club's management would also express their thanks to John Mitchell for his management duties together with the senior players who have stayed loyal during a difficult two years, and wish them well for the future.

"The committee are of the opinion that it is in the club's best interest to concentrate on their young team taking part in the Mining League, and rebuild for the future."

Peninsula League company secretary Phil Hiscox said in a statement: "We have today received a communication from Goonhavern AFC notifying us of there resignation from the West Division of the South West Peninsula League.

"The Officers and board of the league are disappointed to have received this notice and will in due course issue the full prescribed punishment to Goonhavern AFC.

"In addition the following measures are now taken:

"1. All fixtures involving Goonhavern AFC are cancelled, starting with Saturdays sheduled match away at Mousehole AFC.

"2. Penryn Athletic are awarded a walk-over in the Throgmorton Cup 1st Round.

"3. The 22 registered players of Goonhavern AFC will not be allowed to join any other club until such time as the fine has been paid in full, if this takes longer than the prescribed period for payment to be made we reserve the right to seek a pro rata share from each of these players or request that they be suspended from all football in any league.

"Changes to other clubs fixtures will be notified in the next League News, due on the 17th August, but no new fixtures will be generated during the month of August as a result of this matter."

With a massive fine would it have not been cheaper to plough on in the league? i would assume not however. It just shows how hard it is for teams to survive in cornwall with small budgets and i do feel for the hard working at the club.

I wish the club all the best in their rebuilding time.

well done hakey good to see you carrying on from being a p***k from last season.

This decision was not taken lightly, it is a big thing to pull out of a league especially as it took a monumental effort to get this high up the leagues. and we tried to find every solution available but if you cannot get players to commit to playing then there is no point in flogging a dead horse. we have had to cancel all of our friendlies due to promises of players being available and then not turning up like last saturday at polperro when saturday morning we had 15 players and 6 didn't turn up leaving us with 9 and had to borrow 2 of theirs.

The club has no money, little support and no prospect of getting anymore players and from the 22 we have signed on from last season 14 have left over the last couple of weeks we cannot compete with rteams paying money to attract players.

the problems with the cricket club have not helped and this situation will run and run with no end in sight which puts alot of players off jopining.

the committee felt that it better to pull out before a ball is kicked rather than 4 or 5 games in which then becomes an administration nightmare for Mr Hiscox.

if we promoted our 2nd team then surely losing 15 -0 every week makes more of a mockery of the league.

people could say that we should have seen it coming and yes we could but once the first player went that was the start of it. we tried to leave it until the last possible moment in the hope of being able to carry on.

I would like to thank the loyal band of 5 or 6 players that have stuck through some awful times over the last few years and it is very sad that it has come to this.

I think it a bit harsh that the players that are left should have to carry the can and be banned from football until the fine is paid.

good post jonesy, as i said the club knew the fine would be big and that was why it was such a hard decision and it doesn't help people that don't know the situation making silly comments.

I must admit it does seem unfair that the players have to carry the can. Anyone who has ever played the game will know that all players want to do is play not become involved in club politics. I would expect those that did sign were recruited by the previous manager. He stands down and everyone else has to pay. To bar them from playing seems unfair as what has it got to do with them what decision the club decides to take. What if a player says no I will not pay as I was prepared to play. why should I be punished.

I appreciate it is a draconian measure but clubs must know when they say they are going to compete that at the time they knew they could do so. Not only does it affect the players but it has denied another club from moving up into that league.

Punish the club, not the players. After all the whole object is to play the game not be banned because of a situation beyond their control

In my opinion it is not in the best interests of football to deny those players from playing football for other clubs. perhaps the SWPL can think again.

Punish the club, not the players. After all the whole object is to play the game not be banned because of a situation beyond their control

I agree it is immensely unfair to penalise the players by not allowing them to play elsewhere until the club either pay the fine or the players themselves come to some arrangement, but what other "punishment can realistically be dished out that will be possible to enforce? :(

I REALLY FEEL FOR GOONHAVERN.

I THINK THAT WITH THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPENING AND I ALSO KNOW A COUPLE OF OTHER CLUBS THAT ARE ON THE VERGE. THAT THE OLD MONEY AND PLAYERS SAGA HAS TO BE LOOKED INTO SERIOUSLY ITS COMPLETELY RUINING CORNISH FOOTBALL.

TRAVELLING MONEY AND NO MORE SHOULD BE PAID .

GIVE THOSE CLUBS WHOM JUST DONT HAVE THE BIG BACKERS TO COMPETE AND SURVIVE.

Guest Uncle Albert

If I were you, Nanks, I would give www.thisiscornwall.co.uk a credit for the Goonhavern story you have lifted on to this forum, otherwise there might be a copyright issue. Just a thought.

Shame to see Goonhavern have to withdraw, but they have been struggling for a couple of years now.

Their dispute with the cricket club will not have helped their cause, either.

It does seem a shame to punish the players even if it is in the rules/constitution. Especially a shame for the core of players that have been loyal to Goonhavern for several seasons.

It seems a different issue to players who have not paid disciplinary fines not being allowed to register elsewhere - after all those fines are related to them personally. This is a club decision and therefore the club should pay.

Another thought, if the club can't pay I wonder if we (forum users) could raise the money between us as a show of support for the players involved. Probably a daft idea and I don't really know how it would be done but thought I'd float it.

Guest Phil H

Geez I wish people would read the statement properly before spouting off !

The CLUB will be fined, we have not even said how much, just others speculate thats it 1k.

The league RESERVES THE RIGHT to seek payment on a pro rata basis IF the club does not pay up - don't shoot the league here boys, if the club are to be trusted and respected they will surely have taken into account being fined and how to pay it when they made the decusion to break the rules

I feel sorry - but my sympathy is for people like Mousehole who were preparing to stage a game on Saturday and no doubt a programme, food, pitch cut & marked etc etc - I see no reason to have any sympathy for Goonhavern, they openly breached the rules and will be punished for doing so - thats life !

Phil H

Guest Phil H

Unfortunatly the FA regulations only state that the players registered at the time of withdrawal can be made liable, as of todays date there are 22 of them.

In reality if Goonhavern are intending continuing in the Mining League they will have to pay the fine as first and foremost we would expect the Mining league team from being stopped from playing until the club has settled its debts, its unlikely that individual players will be called upon but surely we cannot be blamed for "reserving that right" ?

I feel sorry - but my sympathy is for people like Mousehole who were preparing to stage a game on Saturday and no doubt a programme, food, pitch cut & marked etc etc -

Phil H

Thanks Phil and yes we are bitterly disappointed not to be kicking off our season on Saturday.

We are hoping to arrange a friendly to soften the blow somewhat. Not ideal for us when our first league game now becomes the local derby , away at Penzance on the Friday night (22nd).

Jeff

Unfortunatly the FA regulations only state that the players registered at the time of withdrawal can be made liable, as of todays date there are 22 of them.

In reality if Goonhavern are intending continuing in the Mining League they will have to pay the fine as first and foremost we would expect the Mining league team from being stopped from playing until the club has settled its debts, its unlikely that individual players will be called upon but surely we cannot be blamed for "reserving that right" ?

This all seems really strange....Why should players be punished for events that are more than likely out of their control.

I'm pretty sure creditors don’t chase the employees of companies that enter into receivership for payment of bad debts.

Is their any mention of this on signing forms (I think not) Oh by the way if your team leaves the league you are liable for any fines incurred. (Don’t remember reading that bit)

I seem to remember a similar incident several years ago when Looe left the duchy league, their registered players had to pay a pro rata fine before they could play for another club?

Maybe not fair on the players but if the club would not or could not pay the fine what other option did the league have?

I seem to remember a similar incident several years ago when Looe left the duchy league, their registered players had to pay a pro rata fine before they could play for another club?

Maybe not fair on the players but if the club would not or could not pay the fine what other option did the league have?

I do have sympathy for Goonhevern , being heavily involved with a club of similar size and similar financial constraints.

However i do feel the committee must come up with the cash to pay any fine. For it to affect the players would be a real shame.

And a good question

How many of the 22 registered players actually gave their consent to be signed on for Goonhavern for this season? Or how many were submitted by the club as "retained players" without their knowledge?

Each SWPL club can submit and list of 22 names to the league...and no individual forms have to be signed.

COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!! draw the line dont blame the players who were genuine and stayed at the club ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, punish the club for this season ,,,,,,, but give the club a till the last day of the season to pay up or you face a knock on effect to other lower leagues and teams at the club this is CORNWALL there is no money here !!!!!!!!! or should the league not take a look at its self and all the costs involved in football the clubs have to find ,,,,,,,,, is the cornish CCFA not one of the richest around ,,,,,,,,,,,, do we have to many clubs and not enough players to support and play for them ,,,,,,,,, should players only be allowed to sign for one seinior league or one club only ,,,,,,,, it does seem that players if not out on the pitch playing will walk and play else were they find it easy but clubs and managers find it hard to find players ,,,,,,,,,,, could players think hay we never knew this fact about being find and suggest a players stike in support of the loyalty of the players at Goonhavern ,,,,,,,,,, as for the club you held your hands up said before the start hay sorry so should YOU EVEN GET FINED seems a bit like big brother being heavy handed to me its a shame that with all the money at perranporth you dont get together and join forces and have one club in 2 top leagues perran have spare players come on Gossy help them out lol

Phil H is right, but the FA must look at the way players are being treated over - as we all agree 'something which is out of their control'.

I still go back to the manager stepping down which would appear to be the catalyst for this debacle and he gets off scott free. How is that fair.

Players must be considered as players and not as part of the management committe who run the club. And what is there to stop a committee member walking away and saying 'nothing to do wtih me' I'm off. It seems the easy way is to go after the players.

I still cannot get my head around the rule which if invoked will stop a player joining another club.

Example. A player receives a call 'why not play for us' Ok I'll be down Tuesday for training. The player goes training, signs on and three days later the club goes belly up. The player is informed. Ok he says no worries I'll sign for somebody else. Sorry mate is the reply 'you may have to come up with £50 or £100 or you cant play for anyone'.

Cannot a club put in bond lodged with the league each season an amount that would pay for the possible fine etc if this happened again.

<_< Unfortunately you cannot choose which rules you want applied and which ones you don't. The reverse argument sometimes occurs as well, with regard to player v club and money matters. When a player is charged with bringing the game into disrepute, the club is also charged - yet they may not even have any club official at the game at all when the player committed the offence half an hour after the game in the bar, towards the referee. The club may even 'sack' the player, fine him and do anything to him other than 'capital punishment', but would still be subject to discipline proceedings.

So there are a number of things that do not seem fair, the only way to change them is to change the laws through the correct channels. But of course, its easier to push water up hill. :D

Goonhavern applied for promotion to the SWL in 2005/06 and finished 15/18, the 2006-07 season in the SWL they were bottom 19/19 and last season in the new SWPL(Div1W) were next to bottom 15/16.

Bearing in mind in that first season 2005/06 the first team went from JCCL to SWL and the second team moved up from Mining League to JCCL - a very brave move by the club.

So I think they have given this Senior level of football a good try and with no imminent improvement likely the Goonhavern committee have made the sensible move to descend into junior football.

This will keep the club (formed in 1962) alive and all the more experienced for when the day comes again to progress.

R.I.P the late Brian May (Founder)- GOONHAVERN ATHLETIC FC goes on.

The ironic situation could see their so near neighbours Perranporth FC taking this SWPL(W1) vacancy next season as they are strongly tipped for the JCCL title.

should the league not have an insurance in place to cover any losses ,,,,,,,,,,,,, why is the club at fault that players will not attend the club ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Winno is it not more a fault of clubs that offer money so should they not be fined ,,,,,, do clubs that pay not do that to break clubs up that win and dont pay ,,,,,,,, I realy wish Goonhavern well and hope they stay in football can every player offer £1 to put towards the club as an offer of help ,,,,,,,,,,,

well done hakey good to see you carrying on from being a p***k from last season.

Being a **** from last season??? Back that up can u? what did i do last season that makes u call me that?

Firstly there are clubs out there who had decent seasons last year in this league without any money, yes it is hard i agree with that but it can be done. I also thought the attitude in which your players (which i stated last season after the game) against us last year at Lantoom park when we won 8-1 was exellent, and they kept trying to play all game which when things are going badly isn't easy.

The reasons i said that shambles springs to mind is that surely this could of been done earlier if the club was knowing it was going to struggle, as im sure u said a few of your regular better players from last season left early on in pre season, even before u left? Just would of thought if u could have gone back into the combo and then maybe a club like Helston or Sticker could of filled the position left.

Mostly just slightly annoyed at the fact there will be less games to be honest.

should the league not have an insurance in place to cover any losses ,,,,,,,,,,,,, why is the club at fault that players will not attend the club ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Winno is it not more a fault of clubs that offer money so should they not be fined ,,,,,, do clubs that pay not do that to break clubs up that win and dont pay ,,,,,,,, I realy wish Goonhavern well and hope they stay in football can every player offer £1 to put towards the club as an offer of help ,,,,,,,,,,,

EXACTLY WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY AND HAVE FOR A NUMBER OF SEASONS. MONEY IS RUINING CORNISH FOOTBALL.

ALL PLAYERS SHOULD RECEIVE IF THE CLUB ARE WILLING IS MONEY FOR TRAVELLING NO MORE. THAT RULES OUT ALL THESE GUYS ON £50-£60 UPWARDS.

THAT INCLUDES COMBO PLAYERS SWPL AND PREMIER PLAYERS

It has to be blatantly obvious that (should it come to it) fining the players who signed on contravenes natural justice. I'd have thought that any individual finding him or herself in that position would have an open and shut case if they took the league to court, especially as there is nothing in writing (as far as any player knows) that warns of this on the signed registration form. Or is there? IF it is an FA rule, this wouldn't surprise me because many football fans might well be of the opinion that the FA have never been credited with much common sense. On the other hand, fining a club for the misdemeanours of one of its players is perfectly logical: the club has to be responsible for the players it signs. "We'll sign that bloke who breaks legs for a past time." Well, no, not if you've got the good of the game in mind.

Goonhavern were always going to struggle. On my visits to the ground for Radio Cornwall it was obvious that here was a club out of its depth, run by a small handful of really nice people, hampered by some juvenile bickering with the cricket club.

Best wishes to all involved.

<_<

On the other hand, fining a club for the misdemeanours of one of its players is perfectly logical: the club has to be responsible for the players it signs

Tell me then Tom - How does a club prevent a player, with no previous blemishes in matches, from behaving so badly on the pitch or as he is leaving, to bring a 'disrepute charge' :angry2: If you can answer that I would be interested because no FA Official has ever been able to yet - but they still 'do' the club. :blink:

Guest Phil H

Thursday 14th August : For clarification : The 22 registered players of Goonhavern AFC are free to play football for other clubs and teams. All the league has stated is that if Goonhavern do not pay the fine then we reserve the right to seek shares from those players. In the first instance, we expect and demand, that Goonhavern AFC honour their responsibilities and pay the appropriate financial penalty for their breach of rule 16.

This is my last posting on this subject, lets move on and look forward to the start of Divisions West & East on Saturday !

Phil H

After speaking to phil hiscox yesterday the players would only have to pay pro rata if the club failed to pay the fine in the stipulated time and only as a last resort, players can sign for clubs other than cswpl teams but would be banned if the pro rata came into force.

thanks for the kind comments , tom and mike and yes maybe we did jump into the big boys league to soon and were out of our depth but i feel that if you should strive to play as high as you can and we may never have won the JCCL again and had the chance to progress. hibdsight is a wonderful thing and if we knew 3 years ago that the peninsula league would be starting up we have have stayed in the combo.

Willy and the committee have done a wonderful job in keeping us going in recent years but even they agreed we couldn't continue the way we were going.

the first 2 pre season training sessions we had 22 and 26 players, suddenly players started drifting off and then we start struggling and of the 22 retained players from last season only 7 played in our friendly last saturday.

in reply to ECPL how do i get off scott free ? I was playuer manager so would be classed as paying pro rata as well and unfortunatelly i have a family and work has to come first. When your boss tells you 4 weeks before the season starts that you will have to start later and finish after 3.30pm on a sturday then theres not much i can do other to stay with the club and become caretaker until the new manager arrives. At the moment the uninons and royal mail are still at loggerheads over this and it hasn't come into force yet so at the moment i am still free but can't commit long term.

For me to have to walk away is a big thing, i like most managers, spend countless evenings on the phone, do the programme, do thje website wash the kit and sort the pitch out and if you haven't got 15 players willing to just give up a few hours on a saturday to play football then whats the point ? I was in the team that stepped up to this level and to see all that hard work undone is very sad, especially for a loyal player like kevin tonkin who has played for the club all his life since the age of 7. even he said that enough is enough. When i asked him if he would consider being manager he said " no way, over the last 3 years i have seen so called friends of you and Tony rodgers let you down week after week"

to all the players and managers that have spoken to me over the last few days thanks very much for your support and thanks to phil hiscox for all his help and advice last season. enjoy your season

The 22 registered players of Goonhavern AFC will not be allowed to join any other club until such time as the fine has been paid in full

That's not what the original post said Phil. I know you want the matter closed Phil but, for the players sake, can we have some clarification please?

I'm really sorry to hear Goonhaverns news but I know the problems they have had so far and also the amount of work John and the Committee have put in to keep things going. Sometimes you have to take a step back to go forwards & I wish Goonhavern's mining league team all the best.

Guest Peppermint

Firstly I am very sorry about the Goonhavern situation and I shall certainly miss the local derby matches. One has to feel extremely sorry for the people who have worked tirelessly in the Club's cause and hopefully people like John can move on and hopefully find a position in football because people like him are an asset to any club that he is involved with.

Next it is such a shame that the players that stayed loyal to Goonhavern's cause could end up financially worse off when the players who jumped ship will not be liable. I know it is a rule and rules have to be adhered to in most cases but a sympathetic approach in this case would not go amiss.

Without denegrating the clubs in the County who have seemingly endless money to splash around it seems such a shame that a club like Goonhavern have struggled to keep players because of the money go round that is Cornish Football.

Lastly - hopefully the idiot that posted photographs on this Website months ago regarding the changing rooms is satisfied. These photos were taken out of context and the Cricket Club do not come out of this situation very well.

Good luck to Goonhavern Football Club whatever they choose to do.

As a former Goonhavern player and Committee man (albeit many years ago!),i totally back what Peppermint has said.

This is a good club that have fallen on hard times because they tried to move upwards when the momentum was with them but have been let down by the players,not all i have to say and the ones there now have shown John and the club some loyalty through difficult times.

Having made the decision,which would not have been made lightly,i sincerely hope that Goonhavern Football Club can now stabilise and move on.Good luck to you all at Reen Manor Park.

I have read some of these posts over the last couple of days and there is a mixed bag of opinions rolled in with factual pieces from Phil Hiscox.

Firstly as a past player of Goonhavern I know that the committee there works very hard & are very loyal. Unfortunately people like Will Hoskins, the late Brian May, Tony and Sue Rogers and recently John Mitchell to name a few do not grow on trees and for clubs to survive people need more than a handful of players. These people put 110% into the club and for people to say they have no sympathy for the club is disrespectful - you should be grateful that there are lots of people able to put in the hardwork at your club to allow you to play the football you wish. Sympathies also must go to Mousehole as I know they have had a few friendlies pull out on them and preparation done for Saturdays opener has gone to waste.

One problem Goonahvern faced is having a very small catchment area to attract players - especially with Perranporth and Newquay in the same area and players recieving benefits to play for these clubs Goonhavern found it harder and harder to attract players.

I always have had and always will have fond memories of playing for Goonhavern and John had me in two minds what to do this season. I trained a few times at Goonhavern and the few numbers of players turning up for training was frustrating and when John announced friendlies half of those at training were unavailable for the matches. John had arranged four or five good friendlies and due to work commitments, weddings, holidays the players let John down.

I hope Goonhavern continue to play football at the Mining League standard and in a few years hopefully we begin to have the foundations in place again. All the best for the future to John & all at Goonhavern !!!

Guest Peppermint

Regarding Dave Deacon's comments - it does not matter really if it is individuals or clubs that are splasing the money around it still means that clubs like Goonhavern are handicapped when it comes to keeping players attracted by money elsewher. If a club is lucky enough to have money donated by individuals then good luck to them but there is a lot of money floating around in Cornwall but in other parts of the Country clubs at a higher level than Cornish clubs seem to exist on a lot less.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I recall posting on this forum last season that some of the Goonhavern people had stated at the GAFC v NAFC match that they would not start this season. This begs the question, why did they not advise the league of their intention to withdraw at the appropriate time last season.

I sincerely hope that all those VOLUNTEERS who spent a great deal of time, effort and no doubt money to run the club will not be forced to pay fines that the league CAN WAIVE if they choose.

Let us hope that some of you good footballing folk pop up to Mount Wise where you will be given a warm albeit, sympathetic welcome.