Cornwall Football Forum

Once upon a time ......

............. football was such an easy game to play!

From next season, there are three changes being introduced to how youth football is to be run.

This is one of them :

If a league or club runs teams from Mini-Soccer age to under-18, it is now an FA requirement for a Welfare Officer to be in place to be able to affiliate your league or club for the 2008-09 season.

The introduction of the ruling also means completing an FA Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) application on the Officer. Making an appointment is not a huge job. Once in place, Cornwall FA provides full training and offers ongoing guidance, advice and sharing of best practice.

Cornwall FA's Youth Secretary David Bray says, "So don't risk your league or club losing their affiliation - if you haven't started already, start taking steps today to get a Welfare Officer in place. We have a booklet which answers commonly-asked questions, outlines what the role involves, the type of people who might be interested, and where to get further advice. "

Dave - any chance of briefly letting us know what "a Welfare Officer" is going to have to do? And how is it going to improve the game?

<_<

Dave a welfare officer takes on the role that used to be the child protection person which clubs with youth sections had - the new system will improve the safety of children, young people and vunerable people within the local football league. All welfare officers will need to have a CRB check in place and will be attending a Welfare Officers Workshop after the existing Children Safety Workshop - both courses only take 3 hours but give a good guide to clubs through their welfare officer of good practice and poor practice and how to deal with and approach incidents of concern with matters relating to children.

It is hoped that in time the Club Welfare Officer will become more proactive within the club not as was sometimes the case that they were just a named person for clubs without much involvement.

Hopefully it will be embraced by clubs as it is all part of the National Game Strategy - it is all designed to look after the welfare of children, young people and vunerable adults - something I think is of paramount importance to anyone involved in football.

First and foremost we must protect our youngsters after all we are putting their safety etc in someone elses hands. The problem is what if nobody wants to do it, what if somebody says (who has nothing to hide) I don't want to do a CRB check. That's it is it? No football for the youngsters.

As Dave Deason said at the start 'football was such an easy game to play'.

Surely all a club has to do is to get the persons persmission to inform the polce of the name, address, DOB etc of that person and let them follow it up. That would soon drive the person away if they had something to hide.

Safety of our youngsters is our prime responsibilty. I wonder how many people involved in a football club has been CRB checked anyway. Why don't we get ID Cards in now and we would do away with all this nonsense.

I think that this is a real problem. We ask more and more of volunteers.

Once upon a time you could turn up and coach youngsters. You gave up your Saturday/Sunday morning and that was a wonderful contribution to the beautiful game. ( A lot of people regarded it as a chance to "pay back" the game for the pleasure they got from it)

Now they are expected to pay for the privilege of contributing time and skill! No one could really do it wthout a Level one Coaching Course (£50) + 2 full days + a few evenings. Then pay for a CRB check (£40).

All to give of your valuable time.

Then you'll have to renew your First Aid course and CRB every few years.

I know we have a duty of care to the children but anyone who feels that having EVERYONE CRB checked and giving someone a fancy title is gong to guarantee that the children are safe is living in a fantasy World. I'm not even sure that it'll make any difference. The only people the checks pick up, are the ones that have been caught. The clever ones are still out there.

I have no answers. But we have to realise that volunteers aren't going to always give unconditionally. Make it too demanding and they'll just stay in bed or even decide to go shopping with the missus!

Isn't this just football catching up with other sports? I coach athletics in my spare time and for a number of years we've had to have Child Protection and Welfare Officers, and everyone involved with children under 18 has to go through regular CRB checks. All coaches must be to Level 1 standard, and to lead a session (in fact, even to take a warm up/cool down) should be Level 2. Never just a single adult on a bus with young athletes and if they are of mixed gender, there needs to be a qualified male and a qualified female coach present. No-one (I know of) complains about it, it's partly to protect the coaches as well as to project the juniors.

--

Richard

I quote from the [excellent ] 'Cricket in Cornwall' Handbook 2008.

Rule 7.2.1. 'Child Protection' Page 175

' Each club to appoint a Club Welfare Officer'.

This just confirms what was previously stated.

All sports [ clubs] are having to adopt a CWO whether we like it or no.

Thanks to 'Aggie' for her reply to Dave Deacons question.

Guest Luffy

I think that this is a real problem. We ask more and more of volunteers.

Once upon a time you could turn up and coach youngsters. You gave up your Saturday/Sunday morning and that was a wonderful contribution to the beautiful game. ( A lot of people regarded it as a chance to "pay back" the game for the pleasure they got from it)

Now they are expected to pay for the privilege of contributing time and skill! No one could really do it wthout a Level one Coaching Course (£50) + 2 full days + a few evenings. Then pay for a CRB check (£40).

All to give of your valuable time.

Then you'll have to renew your First Aid course and CRB every few years.

I know we have a duty of care to the children but anyone who feels that having EVERYONE CRB checked and giving someone a fancy title is gong to guarantee that the children are safe is living in a fantasy World. I'm not even sure that it'll make any difference. The only people the checks pick up, are the ones that have been caught. The clever ones are still out there.

I have no answers. But we have to realise that volunteers aren't going to always give unconditionally. Make it too demanding and they'll just stay in bed or even decide to go shopping with the missus!

I have to agree with oldasitgets I understand the safety of the kids is paramount but the problem comes about when we expect those who give up their time to pay for checks, coaching courses etc.

Will the FA finance all these conditions that they are asking volunteers to do, I have a sneeking feeling they won't, not every club can afford to put people through these types of courses and I expect some individuals would also find it hard, people have to remember that many managers are already dipping into their own pockets as there is only so much you can ask parents or young adults to fork out, and with the cost of everything in football going up, I am worried that it will not take long before the grass roots game is priced beyond those who wish to run or help the community and it will only be bigger clubs with plenty of sponsorship that will survive.

As I said I understand Why but those who are in charge of the game are going to have to provide the cash to ensure that it is done right.

Guest Ronin

Over the years I've volunteered my services for Scouts, the local schools and (currently) Perranporth Youth and on all occasions have had to have a CRB check but have NEVER been asked to pay for it, whoever I've been volunteering for has always paid for it. Perran also paid for my Level 1 when I did it and I don't doubt they'll pay for my Level 2 when I get round to doing that. They're certainly getting their money back out of me!

Which brings me on to my only gripe (well you knew I'd have one!) and I totally agree with Oldasitgets on this: the time involved in getting certified is a nightmare. The Level 1 can sometimes be spread over 3 or 4 weeks involving 2 full Sundays and 3 evenings from 6pm til 9pm. With a bit of planning I'm sure they could fit the whole thing into one weekend - yes it would be quite a busy weekend but BANG you're in, you get it done and you're out there coaching. Now's the time of year to be pushing people to do it so they're all sorted for the new season. I did my Level 1 when I was assisting as a coach and I had to miss my team's first 2 games cos it was on the first 2 Sundays of the season! The same goes for the Level 2 - as much as I would love to do it the fact that it takes so much time makes it impossible for me to do. Surely they could compact it into an intense course instead of spreading it out so much?

Yes Johnnie we have appointed Bob Oaten and wish him well in establishing himself in this level.

As regards the other issue regarding CWO, Money should never become an issue and every assistance should be afforded to those wonderful people who put themselves forward.The FA should finance the entire programme and also those who wish to take coaching badges.

I have recently been involved with Kerrier Volunteers in Camborne enquiring about a few things.

One thing I did find out is that if your club registers with them then they can sort out group CRB checks and it will not cost your club any money.

The contact details are:

Richard Hocking, Manager,

Kerrier Volunteer Centre,

64, West End,

Redruth TR15 2SQ

Tel: 01209 217614

Hope this can help some of you when sorting out Welfare Officers. Anyone who has gained level 1 coaching in the last 3 years should still have an up-to-date Child Protection module too, thisw should help towards any appointment.

Once upon a time I used to be able to go out for the day and leave my house unlocked.

Once upon a time I could leave the keys in my car while I went into the shops.

Once upon a time I knew when to come home to go to bed because it was getting dark.

I'm afraid we don't live in those times anymore, and anyone who has small kids and leaves them in the hands of others should at least have the comfort of knowing that no harm will come to them.

I know it puts extra pressure on volunteers to become qualified etc, but what price would you pay to ensure the safety of your own children?

If you keep in touch with the CCFA website there are planty of courses available and some of them have been sponsored by McDonalds and the course is free.

I agree, if we put too much onto volunteers it could drive them away, but please don't make excuses for not safeguarding our children.

The Level 1 football coaching course is a joke really!

I know you got to start somewhere, but how you can say you're a coach after completing this course is ridiculous. Thats not aimed at anyone by the way, just saying that the course is the easiest thing I have ever undertaken.

The Level 1 in any sport is more to do with how to coach than learning the game. Most of us know the game but how many of us can teach in a way that we can all learn?

With all the extras you have to do ie: safeguarding children, emergency first aid etc, the FA Level 1 is far more thorough than pretty much every other sport.

So do your level 2 then and become a "proper coach". To be honest I think you will find it was designed to get all the parents etc who coach other people's kids to get an idea of the job. With soccer parent as one of the modules on there I think it is a good course for CERTAIN people.

I agree, anyone with previous coaching experience is going to sail through really. Although I just looked at mine as a means to an end.

There is a level 2 course starting at Cornwall College in August.

Over the years I've volunteered my services for Scouts, the local schools and (currently) Perranporth Youth and on all occasions have had to have a CRB check but have NEVER been asked to pay for it, whoever I've been volunteering for has always paid for it. Perran also paid for my Level 1 when I did it and I don't doubt they'll pay for my Level 2 when I get round to doing that. They're certainly getting their money back out of me!

One thing we have discussed is to pay half up-front, with the candidate paying the other half, then re-imbursing them 12 months later if they're still involved.

--

Richard