Cornwall Football Forum

EVELY CUP Cancelled

Guest Peppermint

The game should have been played on the proper date anyway. This would not have happened so why was the date changed? Perhaps Truro City could bring in players from all over the two counties like Tamarside!!!!!

Why can't City raise a team?

Just to clarify the point. There is no hard and fast rule that says the date for the Evely Cup is set in stone. It is a mutual agreement between the two leagues as to when the game is to be played. There was no proper date only suggested dates.

You may not also know that it is a ECPL run competition. Indeed the medals etc for both teams and officials have already been purchased. And no Tamarside will not be annointed as there is no game.

It would be perhaps better to have the competition at the beginning of the season rather than at the end. The problem this year is that Truro Reserves are going up to the SWPL.

Guest Grandson of Jimbo

Well said Joe,keep it down here in the West away from ECPL and his Devon teams,he just seems to be against Cornish teams. :clapper: :c:

Guest crosser

You may not also know that it is a ECPL run competition. Indeed the medals etc for both teams and officials have already been purchased. And no Tamarside will not be annointed as there is no game.

Well said Joe,keep it down here in the West away from ECPL and his Devon teams,he just seems to be against Cornish teams. :clapper::c:

Guest WINNO

AS WE AT HELSTON WERE LEAGUE CUP RUNNERS UP WE WILL TAKE THE GAME. I PLAYED IN AND WON THE EVERLY CUP LAST YEAR WITH PENRYN AND IT WOULD BE AN HONOUR TO TRY AND RETAIN IT WITH HELSTON AND FOR THE JCCL.

LETS NOT DEBATE IT LETS DO IT CALL ME 07789935094

I think it's time we clarified ECPL whether you are the official spokesman for the Cornish Guardian East Cornwall League.

Are you writing on behalf of the league when you say the JCCL pulled out of the game, and if so, why did they - I'm referring here to the game scheduled for the 25th?

Which then takes me back to asking for official confirmation as to why the earlier date was changed? Are you saying on behalf of the EC League that the JCCL could not cope with more than one game on the 11th May?

Have a look on the ECPL Mitoo web site. That must be official.

In answer to your first question. The simple answer is NO I AM NOT. I answered that question before and by the way who are WE!

In answer to your second question again speak to the league, I did and that is what I was told. The JCCL contacted the ECPL and advised them they were cancelling the game on the 25th May (I have changed the next bit) because I quickly found out that Truro City Reserves could not raise a side. If you want official confirmation from the ECPL or JCCL then contact them, they may even tell you different.

Again in your third question. All I have done is used my memory banks and to the best of my knowledge the JCCL pulled out of the match on 11th April was I think because there was a cup match being played on that day, whether it was on the same pitch, I honestly can't remember. I am not replying on behalf of the league, neither can I give you official confirmation.

I have now looked back through the web site and on 27th April oddballs CONFIRMED the date as being 11th may at Penryn. Darren Stewart then wrote that Tamarside requested a different date he thought it was on the 18th. I said on the 30th April that the date was the 18th but had yet to be confirmed. Winno comes back and says it’s on the 18th at Helston. Monty comes back and says its still the 11th but Penryn Combo have a game on the same day in the Sup Cup. I was then told by the ECPL that the date was confirmed as the 25th May and NO ONE questioned it. I was asked to put it on this site because it was the quickest method of informing everyone.

So I can only assume that the 11th was not acceptable due to the fact that Penryn were due to play St Day in a semi-final of the sup cup at Wendron, so as posted by Monty who would open up Kernick Road and is it true. What we must remember is that the ECPL is totally in the hands of the JCCL as it was due to be played at one of their grounds on a date of their choosing.

It seems odd by these questions that you would like someone else to ask the questions and for you to question the answers.

All I can say if you want to contact the ECPL or JCCL officials for anything by all means do so. All I am doing is giving out information that comes to me. If you want official confirmation then go to the official person in that league. I will do everything I can to help the league and in my own simple way give answers or reasons on this web site. I will also talk to the league and if they advise me of certain facts and they don't mind me writing about them then I will do so. And trust me if I have a differing view than the ECPL then I will tell you on here.

If people from the league or from anywhere else for that matter want to tell me something or I already know anyway then I let people know on here. If the ECPL want something put on this site quickly and I can do it then I will. It just keeps people informed and that is what this site is all about. You may agree or disagree with what I say on here that’s fine but I am trying to give out information quickly to everyone. If you want me to keep it all to myself then I can certainly do that.

On the odd occasion I may offer my opinion but in virtually every case I am giving out information that is passed on to me or I am giving a laypersons view of a situation.

If you want to get information from the horses mouth about the ECPL then do what I do - and that is talk to them. If they do not want me to put something on this site then I will honour that.

We have come to the end of what I think has been a terrific ECPL season and I am being questioned as to how I know certain information. Simple. I ask questions

No axe to grinde here but for all who may have an interest it may be worth noting the following facts.

Last season Godophin were battling it out at the top end of the league and managed to win the ECPL Cup for the second year running. Their was considerable fixture congestion at the back end of the season for us (due to the Cup format) and on the run up to the Everly Cup final (v Penryn at Blaze Park) we were fixtured to play

Sat, Tues, Thurs, Sat, Tues, Thurs (Everly Cup Final), Sat.

We requested permission from the ECPL to re-fixture our Tuesday fixture (2 days Prior to Everly Cup Final) but the ECPL turned us down and made us play, (We lost to Penrym 1-2, two days later).

We were subsequently very disappointed to learn that Penry had been fixtured to play on the Tuesday prior to the match, but their League Committee had given them permission to re-shedule their fixture for a later date.

What happened this year ??

What is the signing on requirement for the Everly Cup Final? as Truro currently have 3 adult squads, plus a number of youth players who are now aged 16 from 2 under 16 squads. The total number of players available must come close to 50, therefore its seems odd that Truro are unable to raise a side to represent the combination league in this well respected cup final.

Truro seem to be getting a lot of stick about this game being called off, but I think both leagues and both clubs are to blame.

Both Tamarside and Truro have declined to play on certain dates. While the Leagues don't really seem to have too much authority or sympathy in helping to sort it out either. Compromises have been suggested and turned down!

:(

Having spoken to a person in the know today it appears that in the Competition rules it states that the Evely Cup Final MUST be played by the 2nd weekend in May .

Tamarside asked to not play on that date ..........

So how can either club be asked to play on a later date without breaking the Rules ????????????

SIMPLE BLAME TRURO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Peppermint

If you are right Zebedee then why hasn't ECPL come on and enlightened us about this rule.

I cannot understand how Tamarside were allowed to refuse to play the Evely Cup on the due date.

Judging from postings on the Main Discussion section regarding Tamarside's playing a load of players who play in higher leagues they would have been in a position to play at any time.

It would be interesting to get Tamarside's official viewpoint on the matter and ECPL'S answer to Zebedee's claim.

Both Tamarside and Truro have declined to play on certain dates

And alledgedly one of those dates that Tamarside declined to play was May 11th. Hence my suggestion that everyone is at fault with this ludricous situation, not just Truro, but Tamarside, the ECPL and the JCCL. And time is running out to do anything about it!

I heard that Tamarside asked not to play on the 11th because of their in-house football tournament weekend held over 10/11th of May which their players were involved in. Check out their club website - loads of pictures from that day.

The 18th was obviously the day after the Truro Presentations Night which I assume they didn't want to play after - leaving the only Sunday left as the 25th?

As two date were suggested and both teams couldn't make one of those it seems a great shame that it isn't going to be played on the 25th?

I HAVE EDITED MY ORIGINAL POSTING (SHOULD HAVE TURNED THE PAGE)

I do love the conspiracy theory’s that seems to follow almost everything posted on this web site.

As far as I know the organisation of this years cup was in the hands of the JCCL as it was their leagues turn to host it. But at the end of the day both clubs Truro City Reserves and Tamarside had to agree a date. Another thing is how did either side know they were going to win their respective cups? The season is usually over by now but both the ECPL and the JCCL had not completed their seasons and the 25th May seemed to be the only clear date.. You can argue the fact over why.

The JCCL had a supplementary cup final on one of the days and Tamarside an in house competition on another which had been arranged and organised earlier. It is a shame that we tend to take sides in apportioning blame.

The only rules of the competition I can find is in the 2003-4 ECPL Handbook.

41. The Competition shall be called The Evely Memorial Cup

42. The competition shall observe the rules, regulations and Bye-laws of the Football Association, and all matches shall be played according to the laws of the game as settled by the International Football Association Board.

43. All clubs taking part in the ECPF League and the Cornwall Combination League shall play in this cup competition.

44. The final shall be played between the winner of the seperate competitions run by each league

45. The final shall be played on a ground selected by the Evely Cup Comopetition Committee in each League area alternatively. In the event of a draw, extra time shall be played If it is still a draw after extra time, the FA Rule on the taking of penalty kicks from the spot shalll be followed.

46. The entire management and control of the competition shall be vested in a sub-committee comnprisng the memebrs from each league Any five members shall form a quoram at meetings of this sub committee

47 A Separate fund shall be created to which each league shall contribute an amount equal to £2 (two pounds) per member club of its own league.

48 In the final the net gate shall be paid to the Evely Memorial Cup Committee Fund

49. Players registered with their clubs in the respeicive League Competitions shall be eligible to play in matches up to that final. Names of players in the final must be submitted to the respecitive League Secretaries SEVEN DAYS before the match. League Secretaries must ensure thet players in the FINAL have played in at least six matches for that club in their League and/or League Cup Compeititions during the current season, participation in such six games to be the minimum number for a player to be eligible to play in the final, except in an emergency where an exception be made by a two thirds majority of the sub-committe.

50. The date of the final shall not be later than the 2nd Sunday in May.

51 The trophy shall be handed over to the winners of the final tie on their subscribing to the doculment to the following effect (it then goes more or less to say they will look after it and return it to the ECPL by 1st April)

52 and 53 say tokens to 15 players and officials shall be given.

54 to 61 relates to ground facilities

62 Rules binding clubs

Instead of criticising the clubs and the leagues why doesn’t someone come up with a solution? Here are some suggestions:

1. Keep the cup competition as it is, that is at a mutually agreed date between the teams at the end of the season.

2. Play the competition at the beginning of the following season as a curtain raiser for both leagues (although Truro City Reserves will be in next seasons SWPL (West) Division.

3. Have a proper inter league knock out cup (possibly end up with too many matches played by the better teams).

4. Does the competition have to be on a Sunday, could it be a mid week floodlight cup competition

5. Scrap the competition altogether.

I've only recently read this post and can't beleive how much everyone is bitching about this!!

I don't have a great deal to do with Tamarside mens anymore, well nothing infact, but will say that a number of the players and management do help with the Anual Junior Football Festival which was held this year over 11/12 May. I would imagine this event was organised far in advance of the Evely Cup!!

Surely a date and venue can be agreed over the next week or so to get the game played.

Guest Terrier Tom

There would appear to be bitching Jon because people like ECPL, make statements like:

The 2008 EVELY CUP between Tamarside & Truro City Reserves on 25th May has been Cancelled due to Truro being unable to raise a team.

Without any due care for checking the rules. Like one of our Northern Cups, the final HAS to be played by the second Sunday in May.

By the looks of it, Tamarside couldn't make the first date suggested, Truro couldn't make the second date and thus the game could not have been played before the second Sunday in May. Yes, in an ideal world it could have been played on a Saturday or midweek somewhere.

But comments like ECPL's to open this thread (a comment he is yet to retract or apologise for) is just typical of much of this board and its distain and ease of blame for all things Truro. Sad if you ask me, an exiled Kernownian.

Terrier Tom, your reply beggars belief. Irrespective of your nonsenical posting what on earth have I got to aplogise for.

I tell you what. Go contact Truro City or better still the JCCL. Forget when the rules say when this game should be played by it is up to the hosting league to eventually decide whether it goes ahead or not. I do not decide when, how or why a game is called off. Read 46 or is that to difficult.

I often feel that coming on here is letting loose the brain dead of our society who cannot understand the English Language.

This was my opening posting, it has not been denied by anyone so why the silly comment. It is not anti-Truro, it is not anti anything. It is a simple statement advised to me by the ECPL.

The 2008 EVELY CUP between Tamarside & Truro City Reserves on 25th May has been Cancelled due to Truro being unable to raise a team.

And Tony Blair said Education, Education, Education. It seems not to have been meant for adults.

Terrier Tom, your reply beggars belief. Irrespective of your nonsenical posting what on earth have I got to aplogise for.

I tell you what. Go contact Truro City or better still the JCCL. Forget when the rules say when this game should be played by is up to the hosting league to eventually decide whether it goes ahead or not. I do not decide when, how or why a game is called off. Read 46 or is that to diffiuclt.

I often feel that coming on here is letting loose the brain dead of our society who cannot understand the English Language.

This was my opening posting, it has not been denied by anyone so why the silly comment. It is not anti-Truro, it is not anti anything. It is a simple statement advised to me by the ECPL.

And Tony Blair said Education, Education, Education. It seems not to have been meant for adults.

your soo clever and i cant reed i cant right but i can drive a tractor :yahoo:

Why can't both clubs reach an agreement and play the game when it is convenient to both!! And hopefully before the end of may? One evening maybe at Blaise park? But i think that both clubs should have respect for all the other clubs in their respective leagues, as what player wouldn't want to play in another final? Believe me a player for 19 or so seasons and played in 5 finals! I would have loved it to be 6!! Trophy's were more valuable and winning was too back then! Money came 2nd!! Well it did for me!!

It is sad to see the decline of the Evely Cup. A major reason for this, over the last few years, has been the abysmal communication between the respective league committees, although it is a fact that the overarching administration of it rests with the ECPL rather than the Combo. There cannot be much money in the fund.

Secondly, the length of the season was less of a problem when each leagues contained about 16 teams rather than their current 20 and 24. There is little interest in it generally: it has become an equivalent of the Charity Shield.

It needs a rethink: how about a separate East v West knockout competition played on Sundays (double headers are ok as long as it's the same for both sides)...replacing the Sup Cup, which most clubs seem to find a drag ? :D

godolphin were proud to represent the ecpl twice in the evely cup. we played a league fixture on the tue last year and then the final on a thur night at st blazey, its an honour and we would have played it at a moments notice , lets get things sorted and no club is bigger than the league or cup competion , if you dont or wont play it says a lot of how clubs think their better than the competion !!!!!!!!! two dates should be offered then the league should step in and say its on this date end of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( and im sure tamerdise could raise a team of some sorts as the other clubs have finished their fixtures ? ) and i know truro could call on jake , reski ludds dean and a few more who are able to play if the two clubs wont play the third date then give them a 12 month ban for all cup competions, lets see the league doing their job and putting its foot down,can u see this happening again ?//? iv never know this ever in my football career , two often now the clubs are saying we cant play or its cancelled because of the weather ? lets get it right on the day the ref is the only guy that can and should if unplayable cancell the fixture, and the league are the only guys that can move fixtures, im proud of my evely cup medals with stcker, and rivera coasters and st blazey, its a pity some of these players and clubs dont feel the same !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! alan metters

Guest thebigfella

Bit harsh Metts. Tamarside were 'offered' the initial date of 11 May however, like mentioned previously, a large proportion of their squad is involved in organising and officiating in their annual Junior Tournament which was scheduled for the same weekend. I'm not sure you've been to this tournament for U8s, U9s and U10s, played over 2 days, but it is a much bigger specticle and takes alot more organising than the Evely Cup. I also have to say that the club ought to be commended for involving their senior players in this way.

The club were happy to play on any other date and the fact that neither Truro, or either league can agree a date is hardly the fault of Tamarside is it? 11th May is the ONLY date Tamarside could/would not play, so your comment about them being able to raise 'some sort of side' due to other teams having finished their fixtures, is purely sour grapes over your 3-2 defeat. Get over it man! Tamarside fielded their strongest possible side. You lost! Or did you want them to roll over for the great G? Get real mate!

I know for a fact Tamarside would have played that fixture on ANY date other than 11th May (ONE day)... so why isn't it being played?

Excuses, excuses, excuses !

A Cup final date should be a Cup final date, end of story !

Lots of Clubs have youth Football Tournaments which is a great thing. But you cannot have Senior level football revolving around youth football competitions.

Tamarside have got plenty of players at the club so could and should have been made to play on the scheduled date.

As far as i can see, the ECPL appear to have a soft spot for Tamarside, why were they not told to get on with it ?

Guest thebigfella

Soft spot? Jesus mate, we are a little bitter aren't we?

As far as I can see, the Evely Cup is little more than a 'Charity Shield' type friendly. The rules appear to state that the game should be played on a date TO BE AGREED between the two clubs and the leagues. It's not like the date was set at the start of the season is it?

Both clubs were OFFERED the first date of 11 May which Tamarside declined. This is only ONE DAY gents and Tamarside were happy to play the fixture on ANY OTHER DATE other than the 11 May... so why isn't the game being played? Over to you Truro!

I would add that I have nothing to do with Tamarside directly other than I know the management, a few of the players, and my son plays for the Youth setup. I just can't see how the finger can be pointed at Tamarside in any way at all. There are no rules in place to FIX the date of the game... it is TO BE AGREED... and Tamarside didn't agree with 11 May!!

As for the ECPL having a soft spot for Tamarside... it appears to me from reading posts on here over the last 2/3 months that the problem is firmly with the fair people of Cornwall and their approach and attitude to teams from Plymouth/Devon coming into 'their' league and taking the silverware! All I see is a well run and ambitious club that wants to play a decent level of football and provide an exit route for players coming through their equally excellent Youth setup. If it wasn't for the restrictions on their ground at the Rok Parkway, they would be playing in the SWPL without a doubt.

The trouble with many of the existing teams in this league is that you had it all your own way for so many years, but the secret handshakes and old pals act has gone now! You have, in my opinion, one of the best quality Step 8 (i think?) football leagues in the country. Some great clubs and some great players. The Plymouth/Devon clubs can only add to that... so enjoy it!

And lay off Tamarside guys! The 11 May was only ONE DAY...

I suggest that next season you organise your tournament for June or July when the season is over.

You are a Senior club and at Senior Clubs Cup finals take priority over youth tournaments. This needs to be taken into consideration when you fixture this tournament.

Its a shame that you have so little respect for the Everly Cup ( nothing more than a charity shield), which is a very prestigous cup played by the winners of two Cup Competitions from seperate leagues in the County.

Having been involved in it twice myself i found it to be an excellent climax to the season.

I suggest that next season you organise your tournament for June or July when the season is over.

You are a Senior club and at Senior Clubs Cup finals take priority over youth tournaments. This needs to be taken into consideration when you fixture this tournament.

Its a shame that you have so little respect for the Everly Cup ( nothing more than a charity shield), which is a very prestigous cup played by the winners of two Cup Competitions from seperate leagues in the County.

Having been involved in it twice myself i found it to be an excellent climax to the season.

perhaps they knew that they would have had there ass kicked!!! :lol:

Evely Cup first contested in 1965

Is this the first time in its 40+ year history not played for?

Poor show by Leagues or clubs for not treating this competition with more respect.

Lets not lose it -open up the new season with it.

R.I.P George Evely.

I think you can play small time football in this period eg. Cubs/Scouts;5/6 aside tourneys etc.

Evely Cup first contested in 1965

Is this the first year in its history not played for?

Poor show by Leagues or clubs for not treating this competition with more respect.

Lets not lose it -open up the new season with it.

R.I.P George Evely.

I think you can play small time football in this period eg. Cubs/Scouts;5/6 aside tourneys etc.

it's a good mike idea but i think that the truro team will have changed just a little bit!!

Guest thebigfella

The Junior season IS over in May Derek! And, as the rules state that the date for the Evely Cup Final is TO BE AGREED between clubs and leagues, why would you plan a Youth football tournament around a match that a) you might not be involved in, and B) has no fixed date? If the Evely Cup Final did have a fixed date, and it was in the rules, then both teams would have had to play.

I take your point about the Evely Cup being treated with more respect, but until the 2 leagues put some rules in place to ensure it's treated with a little more respect, then what can we do? I say again, the current rules state that a date is TO BE AGREED between clubs and leagues... Tamarside only turned down option ONE!!!

Like I said 3/4 times before... Tamarside stated that they were unable to play on 11/12 May... that still left 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd... Why could the game not be played on any of those dates?

As for Mr Mourinho's comment about not wanting to play because Tamarside would "get their asses kicked"... well, an ass kicking they may get, but I think you'll find that following the initial rejection of 11th May, it has been Truro City who have put all the other obsticles in the way! I know that Tamarside would have played this Cup Final on ANY other day other than the 11 May... so, you have to ask why it still hasn't been played. Maybe the Truro premadonnas didn't fancy it!

I agree with most that it is a great shame that a Cup played in honour of someone (I have to admit, I do not know who George Evely is, or was) for a number of years, should not be contested this season. But, from where I'm stood there seems very little explaination as to why the game was not rearranged for any date after 11 May.

Talk of Truro being unable to raise a side is far more ridiculous than talk of Tamarside arranging a tournament around a potentially non-existent fixture on a non-specified date.

Can someone from either Tamarside, Truro City, The Combo or ECPL please go on record and state, once and for all, why the Evely Cup fixture is not being contested this season? Why can the game not have been rearranged after 11 May? Please! :angry2:

nanks wasent it the same side who were one game away from playing at anfield in the carlsberg cup managed by john peters, mark nancarrow jerry solomon andy parr i know john had a lot of the old nanpean players there paul kendal must admit a few beers have passsed my way since then and its a bit hazey now lol, even think garath lobb was the coach and did gary panhaligon play in goal and of course mark clench any one confirm this, and to answer the big fellow iv asked around and yes ur right tamerside only turned down 1 date it looks like truro were the main offenders in this cancellation , a lot of bad feeling involved with the 2nds down there hence only a couple turned up at the awards night, once again the questions asked what happened ? truro city at times dont help their selves do they !

Your missing the point bigfella, the point being that the ECPL is still in progress on May 11/12 and the liklihood is that Tamarside will have a match fixtured on that date. It doesn't matter if its the league Cup final itself, the Everly Cup final or a crucial end of season League match when league championships and relegation battles are often decided.

It is interesting to note that that the teams have to agree a date as i was under the impression that the two Leagues made the decision, not the Clubs which makes it a four way process ?

Godolphin have played in the last two finals and their was certainly no consultation with our Club as to when it would be "most convenient for us to play". Last season we were made to play Tue, Thurs, Sat, Tues, Thurs (Everly Cup Final) Sat.

The League informed us that we had to play the Final on the Thursday which was the worst possible scenario for us, but we had to play, like it or not.

We asked the ECPL to re-fixture out Tuesday match but they refused us whilst at the same time down West

Penryn (our Everly Cup Final opponents) were allowed by their League to re-fixture their Tuesday match.

I don't know where you get your "hand shakes and old pals acts" from because as far as i can see the only people the League is making allowances for is Tamarside !