Cornwall Football Forum

With the rules as they currently stand Truro, Mousehole and Helston will all be ineligible for next season’s Senior Cup and if Falmouth win on Saturday then they will become ineligible too.

Are there any discussions taking place about changing the rules for next season?

When it was just Truro it was a shame but probably didn’t impact the integrity of the competition. If Cornwall’s four highest-placed clubs are all ineligible then it doesn’t - to this contributor at least - feel like the competition any longer has a straightforward claim to be Cornwall’s premier county level competition. 

I  agree Gary,  having these teams (and hopefully Falmouth) not competing in the Senior Cup  does seriously compromise and devalue the competition. What I would say though is, where would the fixtures fit in? The Southern League Div 1 is going to be a 22 team, 42 game, league next season, I can foresee serious problems getting these games played as it is. Also, it would pretty much mean the end of the Easter Monday showpiece final as the SL routinely schedules fixtures for this day.

All Cornish teams should be allowed to enter a Cornish tournament and not be punished for being promoted through the National league pyramid. A lot of counties allow professional teams into their version of a senior cup, and certainly go beyond step 4. I'd imagine it's been a while since the rules around participation were reviewed and now would be a good time regardless of Saturday's fixture to review the rules for all the cup competitions, reset, in the long term you may find more teams unable to participate.

I don't believe fixtures come into it, for those clubs that are not allowed to enter, it's a Cornish tournament, meaning travelling is limited and often allows squad players & those returning from injury to get some game time. If you look at Helston's use of the tournament and Falmouth, they have both certainly taken advantage of their squads this year and not necessarily played the strongest team and why should they.

The rules for all county cups will be looked at over the next month or so.  Mostly this will just be a tidying up and aligning exercise.

When you get to the Step 4 and above clubs there is a complication and that is that any games they play in their County Senior Cup Competition must be played mid-week under lights on one nominated date per month.  This season that rule came as close as it has ever has been to being extended to Steps 5 and 6 and I would fully expect it to do so within the next 5 years.  It's fantastic that we have clubs achieving the levels that they are now but it will take some serious thought to work out a format to include those clubs.  At what round would they enter?  Who else would enter the competition?  What happens if a game gets rained off on the nominated date?  That loses a month straight away.  What happens when the mid-week rule extends to the rest of the NLS? And so it goes on.

There are many different ways of doing it around the country but a lot of senior competitions are small with only the top dozen or so clubs entering.  Some counties even offer the option to opt out for a fee.  In most it's not the big thing it is down here.  Will it change for next season? Probably not.  Season after? Who knows.  Everything is under continual review but for all we can chat about it on here I am not aware of any club submitting a change proposal into the office.