Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 6 January 2024

On 06/01/2024 at 17:43, Fish said:

Secondly why has ref given in to being harassed into going over to speak to the Lino at all??

🤔🙈

In the clip, the referee is already moving towards the assistant well before any appeals, so this seems a very strange statement when compared to the video.

Also confirms to me that the Assistant was buzzing as soon as the free kick is taken to alert the referee to the possibility of there being an offside offence.

How on earth didn’t the keeper save it anyway?  It’s not like it was in the corner, it’s gone over his head in the middle of the goal. 

I'm no keeper but I don’t understand his starting position either from one of the videos of behind the ball. Although it could be the angle. 

seems a harsh decision and impossible to tell if ward was offside when the ball was kicked.  What would have been better had he ran to the side and what would the referee had done then. Bit like what Villa did the other day 

Isn’t there a rule/law now where if you are the attacking team on a set piece, you have to be x distance from the defending wall.  Can’t really tell from the video but does appear that he ran towards the wall and may have been too close when the ball was hit perhaps??

10 minutes ago, Barry H said:

Isn’t there a rule/law now where if you are the attacking team on a set piece, you have to be x distance from the defending wall.  Can’t really tell from the video but does appear that he ran towards the wall and may have been too close when the ball was hit perhaps??

There is. If the defending team make a wall (3 or more players) then attackers are not allowed within a metre of the wall until the kick has been taken. Indirect free kick awarded if offence committed

I'm in disagreement, think the goal should have stood. The impeding player was away from the goalkeeper when the ball was struck. The player taking the free kick struck the ball left footed, taking the ball away further the player in question. The keeper moved the opposite way, expecting the ball to be curled around the wall, again distancing himself. With 20 players in that box I believe that's a harsh call.

The referee has one view, no replay, has done everything correctly and it's his opinion that matters.

What is a disappointment is that this is the talking point rather than either the game itself or the win at Clevedon by St Blazey. One loss all season in the league and St Blazey turn them over needs greater credit. Let's hope Helston make it three defeats and open up the title race.

35 minutes ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

What is a disappointment is that this is the talking point rather than either the game itself or the win at Clevedon by St Blazey. One loss all season in the league and St Blazey turn them over needs greater credit.

I've just spoken to Reece Carroll, St Blazey's recent signing and their goalscorer against Clevedon, for this week's podcast! :thumbsup:  

On 07/01/2024 at 21:00, mattelot said:

hence no flag from the Assistant. Assistant sees a goal ,ref gives offside and got the Bridgwater keeper out of jail.

The assistant stands still. Usual practice after a goal is to move towards the halfway line.

If I'm in the middle here and see my Assistant stood still that tells me that they're not happy with something and a conversation needs to happen.