Cornwall Football Forum

BUCKLAND ATHLETIC

Speaking to supporters at Buckland last week they had high expectations of pushing for promotion with the squad and spending of ,excuse the pun,big bucks.Another defeat yesterday sees them sliding down the table and off the pace.A red card for captain Rob Farkins yesterday,can only have deepened the gloom and added more pressure on the manager.

Speaking to the same people after the defeat to Falmouth last week ,there was a suggestion of an unhappy dressing room and that opposing teams have sussed them out.

A great club with lovely facilities , but not happening on the pitch, worrying times for Buckland Jim ?

2 hours ago, mattelot said:

Speaking to supporters at Buckland last week they had high expectations of pushing for promotion with the squad and spending of ,excuse the pun,big bucks.Another defeat yesterday sees them sliding down the table and off the pace.A red card for captain Rob Farkins yesterday,can only have deepened the gloom and added more pressure on the manager.

Speaking to the same people after the defeat to Falmouth last week ,there was a suggestion of an unhappy dressing room and that opposing teams have sussed them out.

A great club with lovely facilities , but not happening on the pitch, worrying times for Buckland Jim ?

Somethings not clicking at the moment, however I'm not overly concerned just yet. Wasn't expecting much v. Falmouth however yesterday's defeat was a bit unexpected. Hopefully get back to winning ways next couple of weeks against Saltash and Shepton before the tricky one with Helston. 

20 hours ago, mattelot said:

A great club with lovely facilities , but not happening on the pitch. 

Oh how Buckland supporters must get fed up with hearing that comment.

8th in the table with almost a 3rd of the league fixtures played is definitely not where they (or anybody else)expected them to be. The promotion play off system that is in place this season does given them a route back though.

Wonder if Dan Hart is fearing a phone call from their trigger happy director of football?

3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Oh how Buckland supporters must get fed up with hearing that comment.

8th in the table with almost a 3rd of the league fixtures played is definitely not where they (or anybody else)expected them to be. The promotion play off system that is in place this season does given them a route back though.

Wonder if Dan Hart is fearing a phone call from their trigger happy director of football?

How many times WOTP have I commented on this through gritted teeth on here?!  Bucks were my introduction to non-league football and I still go occasionally and always look out for their results. It is a great club. The facilties are great but so are the supporters. However, far too early to write off the Bucks and I rate Dan Hart as a coach / manager.  Top 5 gets you a play off position.  That should be within the realms of the Yellows' capabilities. Martindale going a disappointment. Couldn't see the sense of that signing as they already had Josh Robbins on boad - now they have neither! 

7 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

How many times WOTP have I commented on this through gritted teeth on here?!  Bucks were my introduction to non-league football and I still go occasionally and always look out for their results. It is a great club. The facilties are great but so are the supporters. However, far too early to write off the Bucks and I rate Dan Hart as a coach / manager.  Top 5 gets you a play off position.  That should be within the realms of the Yellows' capabilities. Martindale going a disappointment. Couldn't see the sense of that signing as they already had Josh Robbins on boad - now they have neither! 

Neither could get regular football so left the club, Plenty of talent in the squad still not to panic !! 
Missing a few injured players but to be fair most of the games they have slipped up in they could have won. No rush to go up just yet but they won’t be far away I’m sure. Have to beat the top 5 teams and it will all look better. 2 weeks ago they were 2nd so it can change very quickly.

22 minutes ago, rocky170267 said:

Neither could get regular football so left the club, Plenty of talent in the squad still not to panic !! 
Missing a few injured players but to be fair most of the games they have slipped up in they could have won. No rush to go up just yet but they won’t be far away I’m sure. Have to beat the top 5 teams and it will all look better. 2 weeks ago they were 2nd so it can change very quickly.

No rush to go up?   Are you kidding? In recent years Bucks have been overtaken by Devon rivals Parkway (inevitably), but less predictably Tavi, Exmouth and  Willand. None of those three are bigger than the Bucks. The squad should be at the season end in a play-off position at least. All clubs miss players through injury, so you need a squad fit to challenge. Of course, Mousehole have leapfrogged Buckland too and either Helston or Falmouth could join them by the season end from my side of the Tamar. Now as I said, I think Dan has the ability to do this within a season or two, but the sooner the better for me!

13 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

No rush to go up?   Are you kidding? In recent years Bucks have been overtaken by Devon rivals Parkway (inevitably), but less predictably Tavi, Exmouth and  Willand. None of those three are bigger than the Bucks. The squad should be at the season end in a play-off position at least. All clubs miss players through injury, so you need a squad fit to challenge. Of course, Mousehole have leapfrogged Buckland too and either Helston or Falmouth could join them by the season end from my side of the Tamar. Now as I said, I think Dan has the ability to do this within a season or two, but the sooner the better for me!

I know that Buckland stated back in the summer that the intention was to use this season as a springboard, and to have a real crack at the title in 2024/25. The concern is that non league football rarely respects these plans, Saltash are an example of that (admittedly, Buckland are built on much stronger foundations). The danger is that, as ever, rivals sweep past you. With approaching a 3rd of the WLP season played for most clubs, it is clear that the race for the title and play off places is going to be very interesting. A gap of just 6 points divides leaders Falmouth and 8th place Buckland, and there are some clubs with pretty big budgets and followings in place (the recent signings by Barnstaple and Bridgwater emphasise this).

I think Buckland will hit a little form over the coming weeks, especially looking at their fixtures. They have been one of the stronger sides we have played this season but as mentioned above, a few sides have potentially found a solution to set up against their possession based football. In Bush and Lewington, they have a real threat and stature up top. Getting these players involved earlier in the play and causing a threat inbehind will only add to the dynamic.

I can see the League going down to the wire again this season but unlike the past years, I can see 3 or 4 sides being in with a shout late in the day. 

3 hours ago, L.Gibbons said:

I think Buckland will hit a little form over the coming weeks, especially looking at their fixtures. They have been one of the stronger sides we have played this season but as mentioned above, a few sides have potentially found a solution to set up against their possession based football. In Bush and Lewington, they have a real threat and stature up top. Getting these players involved earlier in the play and causing a threat inbehind will only add to the dynamic.

I can see the League going down to the wire again this season but unlike the past years, I can see 3 or 4 sides being in with a shout late in the day. 

They will need to vastly improve at the back from what I saw on Saturday because they were all over the place back there.

On 10/10/2023 at 22:22, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Too slow now anyway.

Good question. Helston maybe?

Elburton Villa was a rumour that I heard. Newly ambitious it seems or, in other words, have money to chuck around.

Already have former Ashes team mates Danny Lewis and Sam Hughes at the club.

On 27/10/2023 at 12:12, Tavi Fan said:

Do they need him?

Callum Watson is at the club still I assume?

Don’t get the Wilson hype. Too many bookings, doesn’t change the flow of the game. Above average, but not outstanding. Watson a much better midfielder! Am I alone with this view, or am I missing something!