Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 12 August 2023

SOUTHERN LEAGUE, PREMIER DIVISION SOUTH (3pm)

AFC Totton                    0-2           Salisbury

Basingstoke Town          1-3        Hanwell Town

Beaconsfield Town          0-5               Merthyr Town

Bracknell Town                5-1              Didcot Town

Chesham United              2-1               Hungerford Town

Dorchester Town               2-2              Harrow Borough

Hayes & Yeading Utd         5-2              Tiverton Town

Plymouth Parkway             0-2              Gosport Borough

Poole Town                          2-2             Hendon

Walton & Hersham                4-2          Swindon Supermarine

Winchester City                   1-3             Sholing

SOUTHERN LEAGUE, DIV ONE SOUTH

Bashley                 2-0    Yate Town

Bishops Cleeve      2-5      Wimborne Tn

Bristol Manor Farm  2-2   Larkhall Ath

Exmouth Town    1-1    Evesham United

Frome Town          0-0     Cribbs

Malvern Town       2-2      Bideford

Paulton Rovers     0-1      Melksham Tn

Tavistock         1-2      Bemerton Heath Harlequins

Westbury United       0-4      Mousehole

Think it’ll be a really tight league again this year. No clear and obvious candidates for promotion or relegation IMO. If Pushed I’d say Wimborne for the title and Bristol Manor Farm (and one other) for automatic relegation.

FWIW, I think Mousehole will have a good season and expect them to reach the play offs. 
At Tavistock we have a VERY young but talented squad this season. Potential play off push again I feel.

Exmouth to be mid table with Willand finishing below them and Bideford slightly lower. Glad to have the football back! 🐑

Plenty of great clubs in this division and would encourage people to visit them (at Tavistock) and Mousehole.

30 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Think it’ll be a really tight league again this year. No clear and obvious candidates for promotion or relegation IMO. If Pushed I’d say Wimborne for the title and Bristol Manor Farm (and one other) for automatic relegation.

FWIW, I think Mousehole will have a good season and expect them to reach the play offs. 
At Tavistock we have a VERY young but talented squad this season. Potential play off push again I feel.

Exmouth to be mid table with Willand finishing below them and Bideford slightly lower. Glad to have the football back! 🐑

Plenty of great clubs in this division and would encourage people to visit them (at Tavistock) and Mousehole.

Agree, think Mousehole will definitely be in the promotion/play off picture. Heard Jake Ash on the podcast earlier, always very impressed by how he speaks. The thing that would worry me most at Mousehole is that he gets noticed by step 2/3 clubs (must be on their radar already I would think).

Tavi will be competitive under Stuart Henderson, as they always are. Keep thinking that sooner or later they'll fall back into the pack and have a spell of transition, but it doesn't seem to happen. Keep Liam Prynn fit and inform, the play offs could be in sight again. Expect Bideford to be around the relegation dog fight again, just a question if (yet again) Sean Joyce carries out another Harry Houdini like escape.  Fear for Exmouth slightly, their form at the end of last season dipped alarmingly, and it is a squad where a lot of the players have grown old together, with a few of them having been around since the Peninsula League days. Don't know if Kevin Hill has brought in younger players of similar or better quality, but do wonder if the sands of time will catch up with the likes of Tom Gardner and the Landricombe brothers.

Similarly, I think Willand will flirt with the drop this time around. What they have achieved given the size of crowds and town they play in is incredible, but it might be a season too far for them.

All my opinions though, I could be spouting rubbish as usual.

1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

Will be at Langford Park tomorrow Upper half of the table and maybe play offs for the Tavi boys - expect similar of Mousehole. Good luck to both sides!

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Agree, think Mousehole will definitely be in the promotion/play off picture. Heard Jake Ash on the podcast earlier, always very impressed by how he speaks. The thing that would worry me most at Mousehole is that he gets noticed by step 2/3 clubs (must be on their radar already I would think).

Tavi will be competitive under Stuart Henderson, as they always are. Keep thinking that sooner or later they'll fall back into the pack and have a spell of transition, but it doesn't seem to happen. Keep Liam Prynn fit and inform, the play offs could be in sight again. Expect Bideford to be around the relegation dog fight again, just a question if (yet again) Sean Joyce carries out another Harry Houdini like escape.  Fear for Exmouth slightly, their form at the end of last season dipped alarmingly, and it is a squad where a lot of the players have grown old together, with a few of them having been around since the Peninsula League days. Don't know if Kevin Hill has brought in younger players of similar or better quality, but do wonder if the sands of time will catch up with the likes of Tom Gardner and the Landricombe brothers.

Similarly, I think Willand will flirt with the drop this time around. What they have achieved given the size of crowds and town they play in is incredible, but it might be a season too far for them.

All my opinions though, I could be spouting rubbish as usual.

I think that Mousehole might take a bit of time to adapt to the physicality of the league but once they do they should do well top 10 I reckon for them. I watched Bideford in pre season and their team is mixture of young lads and some veterans of south west non league football. I get the feeling that scoring goals will be the big problem for them.

Exmouth's formed dipped significantly when Levi Landrocimbe got injured it will be interest to see if he can come back from another knee injury and perform, if he doesn't then I think that they will struggle. Willand will miss Rice & Moulden who when they returned last season played key roles in keeping them up when the looked all set for the drop. But they do have a very solid defence and the signing of Owen Howe should get them goals as long as he keeps his discipline in check.

Westbury United  0 - 4 Mousehole

(Tallan Mitchell 33, Mark Goldsworthy 47, Jack Bray-Evans 79, Paulo Ranalli Sousa (pen) 86)

Not a bad start to Southern League football for the Seagulls 😊 

The first half hour was very tough and competitive but just as I was getting worried that Westbury might run us into the ground during the first half then pick us off as we tired in the second Tallan scored with a fantastic shot from the back of the box and we went from strength to strength.

Goldie’s goal two minutes into the second half calmed the nerves and knocked the stuffing out of Westbury - a great striker’s goal sweeping the ball in from just inside the six yard box.

As the game approached the last 10 minutes Jack Bray-Evans turned his defender on a dime from a throw-in and slotted home from about 10 yards.

Paulo Sousa finished the scoring with a penalty just before the close. It felt more like “ball to hand” than “hand to ball” to me but those seem to be given more often than not nowadays. 

6 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Westbury United  0 - 4 Mousehole

(Tallan Mitchell 33, Mark Goldsworthy 47, Jack Bray-Evans 79, Paulo Ranalli Sousa (pen) 86)

Not a bad start to Southern League football for the Seagulls 😊 

The first half hour was very tough and competitive but just as I was getting worried that Westbury might run us into the ground during the first half then pick us off as we tired in the second Tallan scored with a fantastic shot from the back of the box and we went from strength to strength.

Goldie’s goal two minutes into the second half calmed the nerves and knocked the stuffing out of Westbury - a great striker’s goal sweeping the ball in from just inside the six yard box.

As the game approached the last 10 minutes Jack Bray-Evans turned his defender on a dime from a throw-in and slotted home from about 10 yards.

Paulo Sousa finished the scoring with a penalty just before the close. It felt more like “ball to hand” than “hand to ball” to me but those seem to be given more often than not nowadays. 

A league where you have to "earn your right to play", which it sounds like Mousehole did.

I'm sure word will have gone around amongst clubs that Mousehole have a technically good, possession based style of play, and can possibly be "got at." No doubt Jake Ash and his staff will be working on plans B,C and D to counter this.

Don’t like to moan about officials but I have to say the one at parkway today was one of the worst I have seen.  
I was near the 2nd yellow card and it was completely harsh to say the least and that ruined the game.  
but even saying that I still really worry where this parkway team are getting goals.  
Matt wright as much as he try to work hard offers nothing and crago has pace but is so easy to mark out of a game.  
2 defeats and a fair bit of worry about the team on the sidelines. 
can only hope things will get better 

Tavi 1 Bemerton Heath Harlequins 2

Very disappointing display by Tavi today. Only really started playing when 0-2 down. Despite not being at it, two horrendous misses in front of goal and a worldie save from the Bemerton keeper in the closing minutes should have given the Lambs something out of the game. If Prynn had been in the side there would be points on the board. Bemerton organised and hard working, but not much more!

16 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Tavi 1 Bemerton Heath Harlequins 2

Very disappointing display by Tavi today. Only really started playing when 0-2 down. Despite not being at it, two horrendous misses in front of goal and a worldie save from the Bemerton keeper in the closing minutes should have given the Lambs something out of the game. If Prynn had been in the side there would be points on the board. Bemerton organised and hard working, but not much more!

Is Prynn injured or on holiday?

4 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Don’t like to moan about officials but I have to say the one at parkway today was one of the worst I have seen.  
I was near the 2nd yellow card and it was completely harsh to say the least and that ruined the game.  
but even saying that I still really worry where this parkway team are getting goals.  
Matt wright as much as he try to work hard offers nothing and crago has pace but is so easy to mark out of a game.  
2 defeats and a fair bit of worry about the team on the sidelines. 
can only hope things will get better 

Still sticking by my "it's early days yet" opinion. Two games, no wins, no goals is not ideal though.

Read in Lee Hobbs' programme notes that they are still looking to add to the squad which is now stretched pretty thin (Joe Belsten and Henry Wilson both sound like long term absentees, and they could do without Ryan Lane and Toby Down's suspensions) notice that a couple of Romanian players have been signed (one was an unused sub today). No idea why recent addition Alex Cairo hasn't played yet though.

Another chance to get the season underway at home to Sholing on Tuesday night, could be a nervy evening. 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

He's a teacher I believe, so restricted on when he can get away.

Correct!

3 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Hols I believe. Bali no less I was told today.

2 hours ago, Southwest football fan said:

Refs spoiling the game again is all we hear from parkway, must be the refs fault they conceded 9 and scored 0 in 2 games. 

Saw Hobbs interview. Maybe they were unlucky today, maybe not. However, Hobbs virtually never gives opposition the credit when they win. Todays YT post match interview essentially says  it that the ref lost PPFC the game. Nothing to do with a thin squad and no top class striker or Hobbs’ recruitment choices over the summer. 

7 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Correct!

Saw Hobbs interview. Maybe they were unlucky today, maybe not. However, Hobbs virtually never gives opposition the credit when they win. Todays YT post match interview essentially says  it that the ref lost PPFC the game. Nothing to do with a thin squad and no top class striker or Hobbs’ recruitment choices over the summer. 

Already talking about how many points are needed to stay up as well. 🙄

Will be a tough period to get through and need these players back. Having lane and down suspended now and belson injured that parkway 3 starters missing from the back already and only 2 games in . An already ridiculous small squad will need reinforcements. 
I wonder if any of the players signed on as cover from western league teams will be given a shout for Tuesday . 
Also as it a home game see if Ryan Richards can come in to help.  Up front is a massive issue  . I’d even look at someone like bowker up there who personally give you more than wright etc . Lot of problems for Lee to sort out  

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 12 August 2023
4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Already talking about how many points are needed to stay up as well. 🙄

Not a popular opinion, but a lot of the successes at PPFC are down to acquiring good coaches. Letting Cuzi slip away a disastrous decision.

At times, Hobbs has made big calls on players and got it right. What he hasn't got now is bigger budgets than virtually  everyone else that fuelled the Parkway rise. When you reach a certain level there's always equally ambitious and even better funded clubs. This is where smart recruitment, good coaching and clever management come in.

To me, the slowing of progress at PPFC shouldn't be a surprise. For all the incessant successes / promotions, once Parkway lost the ability to 'buy' success as they did in the leagues they rose from I thought an adjustment in strategy needed. Now we'll get to see if Hobbs really  is a manager of note.

I do accept that with so many clubs competing at the  same or higher levels in the SW, the days of Parkway having free rein on luring players from other clubs is not so straightforward any more. Interesting times!

I should add, I am not anti Parkway. I go there a few times each season. They need to stabilise and consider what the medium term strategy is to be. It would be nice to see young players come through the ranks and be confident of long-term sustainability. I doubt Parkway will go down, so there is time to evaluate the best approach for coming seasons.

43 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Not a popular opinion, but a lot of the successes at PPFC are down to acquiring good coaches. Letting Cuzi slip away a disastrous decision.

At times, Hobbs has made big calls on players and got it right. What he hasn't got now is bigger budgets than virtually  everyone else that fuelled the Parkway rise. When you reach a certain level there's always equally ambitious and even better funded clubs. This is where smart recruitment, good coaching and clever management come in.

To me, the slowing of progress at PPFC shouldn't be a surprise. For all the incessant successes / promotions, once Parkway lost the ability to 'buy' success as they did in the leagues they rose from I thought an adjustment in strategy needed. Now we'll get to see if Hobbs really  is a manager of note.

I do accept that with so many clubs competing at the  same or higher levels in the SW, the days of Parkway having free rein on luring players from other clubs is not so straightforward any more. Interesting times!

I should add, I am not anti Parkway. I go there a few times each season. They need to stabilise and consider what the medium term strategy is to be. It would be nice to see young players come through the ranks and be confident of long-term sustainability. I doubt Parkway will go down, so there is time to evaluate the best approach for coming seasons.

I just think that Hobbs seems to recruit in the same players, and when they do get in someone with a bit of calibre they leave, maybe they're offered better elsewhere who knows but something isn't right. 

Is it time for a new manager at parkway if this season is below par? 

If Truro and Mousehole can make players relocate could Parkway go the same route? 🤔 They certainly aren’t short of a few quid!

I see there are a couple of Romanian lads now registered with them. Any idea where they are located? Certainly haven’t heard their names before.

1 hour ago, Southwest football fan said:

I just think that Hobbs seems to recruit in the same players, and when they do get in someone with a bit of calibre they leave, maybe they're offered better elsewhere who knows but something isn't right. 

Is it time for a new manager at parkway if this season is below par? 

No need to press the panic button, but maybe (as I said) a different strategy needed. TBH, the advantage a city club had over its rivals up to and including the WL, has maybe disguised Hobbs' shortcomings. It seems strange to say in view of a glory laden few years, but never had much love for Hobbs.

29 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

If Truro and Mousehole can make players relocate could Parkway go the same route? 🤔 They certainly aren’t short of a few quid!

I see there are a couple of Romanian lads now registered with them. Any idea where they are located? Certainly haven’t heard their names before.

Was interesting to hear Jake Ash talking on the podcast about how they keep an eye on players released by pro clubs, and use agents to facilitate bringing them in. Pretty sure that Truro do pretty much the same thing using Alex Black and Paul Wotton's connections.

Wonder if there is scope for Parkway to use their links to Argyle to do similar? Would imagine there is a constant stream of data regarding players that are available, and not all of them are the necessary quality and type for Argyle to use, but could be Southern Prem suitable. Perhaps the Lolot brothers, who are now in the Parkway squad, came to their attention via this route.

34 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

No need to press the panic button, but maybe (as I said) a different strategy needed. TBH, the advantage a city club had over its rivals up to and including the WL, has maybe disguised Hobbs' shortcomings. It seems strange to say in view of a glory laden few years, but never had much love for Hobbs.

As you said, no need to push any panic buttons yet. But the longer it goes without getting points or goals on the board, then the more the pressure grows.

16 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I believe the Romanians contacted parkway themselves after attending training. Both played high level over in Romania I believe. 
not sure how good the route is now for parkway and argyle loan signings. All changed a bit after Lowe left who lee had a great relationship with. 

Do you know if they are based down this way?