Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 22 April 2023

Historically the FA prefers reprieves to promotions throughout the pyramid but at every Step the final line in the FA’s process is wording to the effect of “the FA reserves the right … at its sole discretion”. Personally I’d be more optimistic if mine was a club that was in the relegation zone than one that had just missed out on promotion but you never can tell. Thankfully we’ll know the outcomes shortly. 

42 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

With rumours of Bristol/Bath clubs stepping down or moving across to Hellenic league from Western Prem, is there a chance that an extra team or two might be promoted from the Peninsula league to make up the numbers?

As I understand it, the number of teams at each Step is sort of fixed (say 16 x 20 at Step 5). Vacancies are not filled in a vertical fashion but on a national level from PPG? When the requisite number of teams are identified, only then are the various leagues populated. 

8 minutes ago, Alan Partridge said:

Seen on non league matters forum that Ashton & Backwell could be moving back to Somerset County League.

They are indeed their reserve team in the county league division 1 is going to become their 1st and only team. I believe though it is not related to the merger not happening but to do with the fact that they cannot get volunteers to replace the roles done by their departing chairman, so much so that it wasn't even viable for them to take voluntary relegation to step 6.

51 minutes ago, baldy said:

Looks like there is an appeal somewhere regarding an illegible player from a match in Saturday. This is then holding the announcement of the playoffs. Expected at 12:00, delayed until 17:00 at least.

So, The Ashes will effectively have two days to plan travel to God knows where on a Bank Holiday Saturday. Hopefully as well their strongest possible squad is available to make the journey for this, a season defining fixture. Well done FA.

3 hours ago, baldy said:

As I understand it, the number of teams at each Step is sort of fixed (say 16 x 20 at Step 5). Vacancies are not filled in a vertical fashion but on a national level from PPG? When the requisite number of teams are identified, only then are the various leagues populated. 

Non League Matters Forum has a whole section devoted to these permutations. Think there are some who enjoy transfer window speculation and non league structure projections more than actually watching matches.