Cornwall Football Forum

RESULT - FRIDAY 3 February 2023

WEST

Dobwalls         0-1       St Blazey

St Blazey secured the three points thanks to an Andy Watkins penalty in the 85th minute.

The title challenging visitors were made to dig deep though for their win against a young looking home squad.

The only blemish for the hosts really was a rash challenge by substitute Inniss which gave the referee Ross Wilcox no choice but to show him a red. The Dobwalls player must have only been on the pitch for about 5 minutes!

The ref had a very good game always trying to keep the game flowing and talking throughout to the players. One of the best performances by a ref I've seen this season.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULT - FRIDAY 3 February 2023

Strange sort of game, Blazey always on top throughout the match, Paul Thompson MoM, outstanding in goal for Dobwalls, Blazey missing 3 players on a stag do, no Fyneboy for Dobwalls. Definite pen, red card couldn’t see, some thought was harsh and maybe should have been a yellow. Referee excellent, only gripe was no added time 1st half, when the Dobwalls 7 kept going down and stopping play. 

47 minutes ago, Paul said:

Dobwalls 0v1 St Blazey. Att.100est.

Highlights from last nights win at Dobwalls. Not always a happy hunting ground for St Blazey. Dobwalls gave it everything. One of those games we had to dig out the result. 

Very harsh red that but couldn’t see his trailing leg too much on video. Yellow would have been sufficient from that evidence and seems the Blazey players had a big influence over the ref, crowding around him.

Definite pen and a big 3 points.

5 minutes ago, Blues1995 said:

seems the Blazey players had a big influence over the ref, crowding around him.

From where I was standing, about ten yards away from the tackle I don't think they made any difference in his decision. As he approached the incident he was already mouthing to his assistant "red"!

In my opinion it was a straight red too. He followed right through his opponent and at that stage of the game, when it was still goalless, it was a ridiculous tackle!  

25 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

From where I was standing, about ten yards away from the tackle I don't think they made any difference in his decision. As he approached the incident he was already mouthing to his assistant "red"!

In my opinion it was a straight red too. He followed right through his opponent and at that stage of the game, when it was still goalless, it was a ridiculous tackle!  

Fair play - let the ref do his job then. Sounds like he had a great game overall 👏 

Feel for referee’s making a decision on these ‘right angle’ type tackles. The tackler, who is determined to get there first, actually gets there first (but needing to go to ground with force), however, the attacker is also determined to get there first, but has a weaker body position, gets wiped out in dramatic style by the tacklers trailing leg when arriving slightly late. Based upon a combination of force and the fact that the tacklers trailing leg was raised and positioned in the direction of the attacker (despite getting there first and winning the ball), I believe the ref got it right, plus it was a definite penalty. Well done ref who doesn’t have the benefit of video evidence. PS - I hope the player is ok.

1 hour ago, Blues1995 said:

Very harsh red that but couldn’t see his trailing leg too much on video. Yellow would have been sufficient from that evidence and seems the Blazey players had a big influence over the ref, crowding around him.

Definite pen and a big 3 points.

Too common in the modern game , the surrounding of the referees. Blazey players reacted like any other team to the situation. As I said before the referee was excellent and handled the match well.

1 hour ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Feel for referee’s making a decision on these ‘right angle’ type tackles. The tackler, who is determined to get there first, actually gets there first (but needing to go to ground with force), however, the attacker is also determined to get there first, but has a weaker body position, gets wiped out in dramatic style by the tacklers trailing leg when arriving slightly late. Based upon a combination of force and the fact that the tacklers trailing leg was raised and positioned in the direction of the attacker (despite getting there first and winning the ball), I believe the ref got it right, plus it was a definite penalty. Well done ref who doesn’t have the benefit of video evidence. PS - I hope the player is ok.

The player was fine, once he got the Dobwalls player sent off 🙄

1 hour ago, iand said:

Too common in the modern game , the surrounding of the referees. Blazey players reacted like any other team to the situation. As I said before the referee was excellent and handled the match well.

Exactly. Awful part of the game but everyone does it but only some teams seem to get picked up on it on here