Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday 26 November 2022

Beaconsfield Town          1-0             Weston-super-Mare (att 86)

Chesham United              3-1             Truro City (456)

Harrow Borough               0-1              Salisbury (197)

Hartley Wintney               1-2              Merthyr Town (285)

Hendon                               3-4              Bracknell Town (227)

Plymouth Parkway          P-P             Metropolitan Police

Poole Town                       3-2             Hanwell Town (329)

Swindon Supermarine      3-5             Hayes & Yeading United (305)

Tiverton Town                   P-P             North Leigh

Winchester City                1-1            Dorchester Town (363)

Yate Town                          5-4             Gosport Borough (196)

Finished 3-1 to Chesham at full time.

Truro pretty flat in first half and created little with Tyler Harvey,in particular, barely noticeable, and got caught 3 times by some pacey and incisive attacking ( down the right flank especially) from the home side. A miserable half that was compounded by Danny Sullivan going off pretty early on with what looked like a hamstring injury, and then Ed Palmer getting a straight red for, what looked like, an off the ball punch.

City looked more like themselves in the second half, and seemed to look better with 10 min. Harvey reduced the arrears, and then sent another effort narrowly wide before the home keeper pulled off a stunning close range double save first of all from Harvey, and then sub Matt Wright. Had City got it back to 3-2 at this point, it would have been a very interesting last 20 minutes or so. Instead though, they received a 2nd straight red with Wright striking a Chesham defender with an elbow in an aerial challenge. 

A bit of a game of 2 halves at the top of the table on a pitch that, despite the amount of rain it has taken recently, looked like a carpet. If anything it was too hard, and the steady 2nd half rain made the surface a bit slicker and improved the match. With Weston also slipping up, a very good day for Chesham.

Heard Parkway v Met Police was called off around 10 mins before kick off, with both teams changed and warmed up. Understand that given Parkway being 5 or 6 games behind some other teams in the league now, and not being at Bolitho again until Boxing Day they would be desperate to get the game on (and I would imagine that huge efforts went in from the groundstaff to make it playable) but given the weather this week, the poor forecast for that afternoon, the recent history with the pitch and the distance Met Police had to travel (I would imagine around 4-5 hours from Surrey) this is not a great look for the club. Speaking to the Chesham fans this afternoon, they were amazed that this happened. 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Heard Parkway v Met Police was called off around 10 mins before kick off, with both teams changed and warmed up. Understand that given Parkway being 5 or 6 games behind some other teams in the league now, and not being at Bolitho again until Boxing Day they would be desperate to get the game on (and I would imagine that huge efforts went in from the groundstaff to make it playable) but given the weather this week, the poor forecast for that afternoon, the recent history with the pitch and the distance Met Police had to travel (I would imagine around 4-5 hours from Surrey) this is not a great look for the club. Speaking to the Chesham fans this afternoon, they were amazed that this happened. 

How is it the clubs fault if the ref hasn't deemed it unplayable until 10 mins before? 

They aren't allowed to call it off are they. 

Don't know if they had a pitch inspection or not but surely that would have also deemed it playable. 

Seems to me its the protocol that's wrong if the forecast isn't allowed to be taken into account 

2 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

How is it the clubs fault if the ref hasn't deemed it unplayable until 10 mins before? 

They aren't allowed to call it off are they. 

Don't know if they had a pitch inspection or not but surely that would have also deemed it playable. 

Seems to me its the protocol that's wrong if the forecast isn't allowed to be taken into account 

I don't think anyone is blaming Parkway.

This does  seem absolutely ridiculous. Every person only had to look on the met office to see the  weather was going to be awful. And no chance is was going to be playable. Making a team travel from London to play is just poor all round. 
why is local ref not loking 2-3 hours earlier at least giving the met time to turn round.  
same happened at Saltash they had a pitch inspection at 11 said game on then called it off after the rain arrived. 
surly teams can check the weather. 
anyway another game to add ti the ever increasing list. 

7 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

This does  seem absolutely ridiculous. Every person only had to look on the met office to see the  weather was going to be awful. And no chance is was going to be playable. Making a team travel from London to play is just poor all round. 
why is local ref not loking 2-3 hours earlier at least giving the met time to turn round.  
same happened at Saltash they had a pitch inspection at 11 said game on then called it off after the rain arrived. 
surly teams can check the weather. 
anyway another game to add ti the ever increasing list. 

BUT the actual ref didn't call it off until 10 mins before so why would a ref deem it unplayable a few hrs before

Although I agree it was obvious nearly all games would be off today

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

BUT the actual ref didn't call it off until 10 mins before so why would a ref deem it unplayable a few hrs before

Although I agree it was obvious nearly all games would be off today

Exactly. The match referee would have inspected the pitch on arrival (probably around 1pm-1:30pm), so was obviously playable then. They couldn't predict the pitch deterioration. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 26 November 2022
  • Dave Deacon unpinned this topic