Cornwall Football Forum

Operation London Bridge

Because the Queen died in Scotland it's actually Operation Unicorn, that is going ahead. Well, that's what some Media outlets are saying.

"Operation Unicorn, the codename for the plans in Scotland, leaked some time ago and indicated it is likely her coffin will temporarily rest at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, having been taken there by road two days after her death."

(From The Guardian)

I assume that elements of Operation London Bridge will either be incorporated or merged with Unicorn at some point.

(Sorry, I didn't mean to be a smart-alec )

Not sure why matches at non league level are being cancelled.

Would have thought that 2 minutes silence as a mark of respect, the wearing of black armbands and also the chance for players, supporters and officials to come together at the game and share their thoughts and memories would be a fitting tribute. 

I thought the RFU’s decision and accompanying statement (below) was really good and if I was “FA Supremo” (or whatever the actual job title is) it’s what I’d have gone for. Nevertheless the FA’s decision to postpone this weekend’s games was mandatory at all levels of both men’s and women’s football from Premiership / WSL down to grassroots so the local leagues had no choice. I think the FA reacted too quickly and without sufficient thought about the length of the period of mourning, and was also made too much in fear of a reactionary Daily Mail hate campaign. And also, I’m sure, whatever decision the FA made there would have been no shortage of detractors. 

RFU statement: 

“The overwhelming opinions shared so far within the game, are that teams and supporters want to come together to honour Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to be united in our grief as we express sorrow at her passing.

Rugby, at its heart, is about community and bringing people together, in good times and in sad. Rugby clubs are a source of strength and support during times of uncertainty, and we hope that by enabling games and other rugby activity to go ahead this weekend, with families and friends congregating it will help us all to unite at this time of national mourning.

We strongly encourage all those playing sport this weekend to respectfully pay tribute to The Queen by holding a minute’s silence ahead of all fixtures this weekend. This an opportunity for teams from different areas to join together in honouring and celebrating her life.”

9 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

I thought the RFU’s decision and accompanying statement (below) was really good and if I was “FA Supremo” (or whatever the actual job title is) it’s what I’d have gone for. Nevertheless the FA’s decision to postpone this weekend’s games was mandatory at all levels of both men’s and women’s football from Premiership / WSL down to grassroots so the local leagues had no choice. I think the FA reacted too quickly and without sufficient thought about the length of the period of mourning, and was also made too much in fear of a reactionary Daily Mail hate campaign. And also, I’m sure, whatever decision the FA made there would have been no shortage of detractors. 

RFU statement: 

“The overwhelming opinions shared so far within the game, are that teams and supporters want to come together to honour Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to be united in our grief as we express sorrow at her passing.

Rugby, at its heart, is about community and bringing people together, in good times and in sad. Rugby clubs are a source of strength and support during times of uncertainty, and we hope that by enabling games and other rugby activity to go ahead this weekend, with families and friends congregating it will help us all to unite at this time of national mourning.

We strongly encourage all those playing sport this weekend to respectfully pay tribute to The Queen by holding a minute’s silence ahead of all fixtures this weekend. This an opportunity for teams from different areas to join together in honouring and celebrating her life.”

Spot on here Gary. The fear of having their turn on the Daily Mail ducking stool has driven a knee jerk reaction.

Surely getting out and about, enjoying your life, is the best tribute possible.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Spot on here Gary. The fear of having their turn on the Daily Mail ducking stool has driven a knee jerk reaction.

Surely getting out and about, enjoying your life, is the best tribute possible.

Still nothing to stop you going out today with your family and enjoying the time and recalling memories as a tribute.