Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook v Falmouth

7 hours ago, le boss said:

So why then is there so much criticism of clubs who sign players from Devon and further away? Last season it was a complete no no but all of a sudden family life, work etc etc is being cited and it’s now all ok. People on this forum really need to remember what they say and at least be consistent. 

It's Falmouth. Of course it's okay 😉😂

50 minutes ago, St Darren said:

How can you compare Carlisle to Cornwall? They've got Newcastle not far away, Sunderland, Middlesborough, they're not surrounded by sea. 

In fairness Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough aren't in League 2(yet!), but they do have Barrow in Cumbria.  A two hundred mile trip for them would be somewhere like Mansfield.  The transport infrastructure is better in that area and they have a larger following, so more money.

Think you answered your own question there St Darren, the proximity of several pro clubs ( the nearest football league club is 60 miles away ) means that any talent available is quickly snapped up by marauding scouts.
Carlisle has for some time been a nursery for upcoming talent as their current squad will confirm.
The significance of being surrounded by the sea escapes me ( Carlisle is approx 15 miles from the beach ) but that aside the onus is on a player to promote themselves if they feel that they have a talent that is capable of professional football, and it's being missed.
It's to be hoped that any young cornishman with footballing talent will ignore the "it won't happen to me" attitude that is so often suggested, and take the attitude of " i'll show em " and achieve success.
A prime example of starting at the bottom and working up is Liverpool legend Bill Shankly who came down from Ayrshire to play one season at Carlisle befor moving to Preston, where his playing days were ended when he returned to Carlisle as their manager, and the rest of his career is football history.