Cornwall Football Forum

Promotion and relegation in the Trelawny Leagues

Is it two up two down between the neighbouring leagues or does it depend on how many teams are withdrawing and coming into the league setup? Obviously if a number of teams pull out or setup then numbers in each league could change?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

No it always will be decided at the AGM depending on teams folding and applying to join. Also filling vacancies already available

Thanks Red, White & Black. More games in a season would be good for this standard in my opinion. 16-20 teams in a league? What's other people's thoughts?

8 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

16-18 tops with all the cups etc. Already the last leagues to finish their seasons. Combo has 20 and struggles, that's with less cup competitions too. 

8 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

16-18 tops with all the cups etc. Already the last leagues to finish their seasons. Combo has 20 and struggles, that's with less cup competitions too. 

Fair point Wendron Official. I agree. 20 may be too extreme a change and it could end up being a nightmare to fit in with postponements in the winter etc. I think a league season should be at least 30 games though- less opportunity for my Mrs to take me shopping! 

16 is the perfect number and it makes it easier for cup competitions. We have done well this season with the weather and to my knowledge no double headers.

1 minute ago, Willow Tree said:

16 is the perfect number and it makes it easier for cup competitions. We have done well this season with the weather and to my knowledge no double headers.

Yeah we have to be fair but last season was a struggle and the few before that I think. I'm interested to see how many agree that 16 would be a better number- it could mean less leagues but more of a 'proper' season. Always worth a mention at the AGM I suppose. Going back a good few years- Falmouth Helston League and Mining League era- did they have the same numbers as the Trelawny league roughly or were they different?

Falmouth-Helston created the third division in 1998 as it was becoming a struggle to fit in 38 league games as well as the cup games and the prospective new teams wanting to join. With three divisions I believe 16 was the required maximum number for each division.

The Falmouth-Helston League was easily the biggest junior (at the time!) league possibly in the south west. I don't believe the Mining League ever had 20 teams but I could be wrong. With three divisions, the number will generally flucturate.

The original Trelawny Division 6 had each team playing each other once home and away for the league and the same for the Oxland Bowl.

30 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

Falmouth-Helston created the third division in 1998 as it was becoming a struggle to fit in 38 league games as well as the cup games and the prospective new teams wanting to join. With three divisions I believe 16 was the required maximum number for each division.

The Falmouth-Helston League was easily the biggest junior (at the time!) league possibly in the south west. I don't believe the Mining League ever had 20 teams but I could be wrong. With three divisions, the number will generally flucturate.

The original Trelawny Division 6 had each team playing each other once home and away for the league and the same for the Oxland Bowl.

So they had a few more teams. Thanks for that. Unfortunately there aren't as many footballers around. Interested to see if anyone else thinks 16 is a better number going forward? Cheers

You never know what will happen because it gets sorted on the night and quite often a team drops out either before or within the first month of the season. Having been to a few agms it is a complete nightmare for the committee because half the time any plans they make seem to go out the window in the first 5 minutes of setting leagues up

52 minutes ago, Bantona said:

So they had a few more teams. Thanks for that. Unfortunately there aren't as many footballers around. Interested to see if anyone else thinks 16 is a better number going forward? Cheers

I think 16 is a good number of teams, per league, personally. Also, as Willow Tree said, it's perfect for the cup competitions as well. I always find it a bit strange teams getting to a QF/ SF or whatever without even playing a game. I'm sure the teams that are getting the 'byes' would rather play as well. 

We played 26 league games this year, as one of the teams folded early in the season, leaving 14 teams in the league. It seemed well balanced but we could have had a few extra games in the gaps that were left in the game weeks, so 30 matches (16 teams) would be perfect. Again, this is just my opinion though. 

The decding factor is the total number of teams across all divisions - you've go to provide a good competitive programme of fixtures for all divisions: 16 teams in the top 4 divisions could leave too few to make a viable 5th division.  The league will probably make a variety of proposals for the final format once exact numbers are known, with Clubs making the final decision. Patience needed until that time arrives!

The Divisions need to be left to settle, as with this year - the problem is that there are still too many teams in the wrong divisions and that will only resolve itself by a bit of patients for another couple of seasons.

If you cut division numbers by increasing teams you will only end up with weak teams in higher divisions. Teams dropping out has reduced  and leagues are starting to be competitive for most teams (except those that are in too high a league - TMS / Mullion Reserves etc - no disrespect intended but just looking at teams that are way off the mark with points).

Each league has 14 teams (bar one - Div 2) and we have had a good winter, yet there are still fixtures to be played in mid May and cup finals. being played mid week etc. 

Simply two up / two down for Prem, Div 1 and Div 2 (I know it is usually only 1 down if league short - but you need movement).  3 up in Div 3 to make shortfall in Div 2 and in Div 4, 3 up to make up for extra one up from Div 3. There may be minor variations if teams withdraw pre season - but keep the up / down in each Division - that would allow 3/4 new teams into Div 4. 

Looks likely no more than 4 up in a couple of Divs  , 3 up 3 down less withdrawn teams across all Divs will still apply as per rules . 

May be several vacancies in Div 4 to fill , so far we have 6 applications to join ! 

So possibly not all teams will get voted in at AGM . 

After what has happened in previous seasons i would be inclined to take all 6 teams providing they meet the league criteria because as in previous seasons more than likely teams will drop out early in the season. Also we need to be encouraging people into the game.

I also know how people feel about new teams taking players from existing teams

6 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

After what has happened in previous seasons i would be inclined to take all 6 teams providing they meet the league criteria because as in previous seasons more than likely teams will drop out early in the season. Also we need to be encouraging people into the game.

I also know how people feel about new teams taking players from existing teams

there is a huge difference though in 'encouraging people into the game', and just taking a load of journeymen in to a club from a current club, thus seeing the previous thriving club deteriorate. i wouldn't be inclined to take all 6 (or more maybe?), you will only be playing a part in the underlying problem football has at this level, it is not all about the lack of participation it is mainly down to the lack of loyalty meaning the inability to create any sort of foundations for any new clubs or maintain them for current ones!!!!!

There is no loyalty anymore Sijames we all see it week in week out its all about contacts and good management both on and off the field. Our club at redruth work really hard off the pitch to support our managers as much as possible. This season now finishing we have had to raise lots of money to improve on and off the pitch. Players these days in most cases only want to turn up and play.Trying to get subs fines excreta gets harder our aim is to eventually  not ask for subs but it takes time at present we only charge £2.50 a game this includes training under the lights during the winter tracksuit kit bags and tee shirts but players these days expect this. We also do work on our own Council pitch with the council's permission.

I say this because we as a club try to make ourself more attractive to players and hope they repay us with loyalty but it is getting harder.

We as a club will not sit back and moan but intend to be proactive and strive to improve. 

The League constitution as set in Rule 2b is for 14/14/14/15/15 with a provision under Rule 12 for 15 in the Premier Division. There is no proposal at the moment to change this.  

Having lost teams in Divisions 2,3 and 4 that leaves 14/14/13/14/14 and there are likely to be two further withdrawals from what we know at the moment.  There is also a scenario where two could be promoted to the Combination with no teams coming down.  Simple maths tells us that if all of that comes together then team numbers would be down 7 on the start of this season.  As zebedee points out it's looking likely at this stage that there will be no more than 4 up in some cases but, as every season, we won't really know until very close to the AGM what the final situation will be and what potential options we have for viable divisions.  That's just the perks of operating at the bottom of the tree.  All those of us involved can do is smile through gritted teeth and keep working the options until we have a complete picture.  Then it's up to the clubs.