Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Women's football league

There were quite a few games called off last year for clubs failing to raise sides... You'd think they'd welcome another team in to try and get more games played... Or maybe the reverse; stop a team joining so their players strengthen current sides?

Interestingly, at last Saturday's CCFA Girls Football Taster Day, the CCFA's own Ladies and Disabled Football Rep, Warren Parker announced in his closing remarks to the girls assembled that it would be an 'incredulous' decision if the proposed team was not voted in at the CWFA meeting. 

Can't understand why they haven't been voted in? Have done loads of work on the girls/woman participation of football lately, large catchment area, great, ever improving setup. I think having an odd number of teams in a league is often a good thing, gives a side a break each week, allowing a free team if fixtures weren't fulfilled. Lots of leagues operate that way, doesn't sound like a very legitimate reason. Will they appeal? I believe that they can? 

Plot gets thicker - appears that last year Falmouth were accepted into the League as a 'late' entrant without even any facilities to speak of! Can only summise that the 10 teams really feel threatened by these ladies wanting to join their League and voted against their admittance?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2016 at 08:33, Dange'rous said:

There were quite a few games called off last year for clubs failing to raise sides... You'd think they'd welcome another team in to try and get more games played... Or maybe the reverse; stop a team joining so their players strengthen current sides?

• Just been told the reason for the refusal, you are nearly on the money there dange'rous.
  • Nearly being the operative word.

Players being poached from other teams, meaning some teams may have folded.

Helston have appealed apparently, which may mean a couple of teams will probably fold if Helston are successful.

There are just not enough players to go around it seems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2016 at 17:25, Sijames said:

well well, Helston Ladies will have a team in the forthcoming season, what will this mean for local clubs around them now? lets hope the league fulfils its fixtures this season or fingers will be pointed if not!

Heard this weekend that Falmouth may struggle to raise a team for their first fixture - 3 or 4 players gone to ....you guessed it - Helston.

Can't understand the hating on Helston! This happens in the men's game, look at all Helston have done for the participation in the sport for girls and ladies over the last season, if I were a female (wasn't at last check) I would want to go play my football there too. Obviously have the support and backing of the club and have been proactive in attracting players. Do these other teams offer girl's training as a way into woman's football? 

Good luck to them (apart from when we re- enter a team whenever that may be). 

13 hours ago, WendronOfficial said:

Can't understand the hating on Helston! This happens in the men's game, look at all Helston have done for the participation in the sport for girls and ladies over the last season, if I were a female (wasn't at last check) I would want to go play my football there too. Obviously have the support and backing of the club and have been proactive in attracting players. Do these other teams offer girl's training as a way into woman's football? 

Good luck to them (apart from when we re- enter a team whenever that may be). 

Nothing to do with "hating" Helston  where'd that come from (?) 

The fact is the other teams were aware of Helston attempting to attract players from the local area, which would have the possible effect of some teams possibly folding.

Not enough players to go around it seems, similar to men's football, as the season pans out it will be interesting to see if there is an affect of admitting Helston by default.

I did look at some of the teams on Full Time... Some teams haven't even got any players registered yet ?? I do hope that these clubs can field a team every Sunday, there were quite a few that I was due to ref last season that couldn't go ahead because of a player shortage.

Womens football is becoming rather popular. Once it gets a good bit of coverage at the top and the schools offer it to girls, more players will become available.

40 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Nothing to do with "hating" Helston  where'd that come from (?) 

The fact is the other teams were aware of Helston attempting to attract players from the local area, which would have the possible effect of some teams possibly folding.

Not enough players to go around it seems, similar to men's football, as the season pans out it will be interesting to see if there is an affect of admitting Helston by default.

Sorry older, not from yourself, just seemed other posters were pointing blame in their direction when not enough was being done at other clubs to secure the future of woman's football.  They have put in a lot of work in getting young people, boys and girls, playing the game; which helps gives everyone regardless of gender, a way into the sport. I guess the long term goal is to provide players from their youth setups into their adult teams. I just think that of teams were aware of Helston's intent then they would have done something at their club to secure player's services rather than just to vote Helston out of the league. 

I'm all for increasing participation in ladies' football and think that this is a good step forward for the sport and league.