Cornwall Football Forum

Q Cornwall Leisure Veterans League 17th Jan

PACKHORSE  4 - 4  BODMIN

Cant report too much on the game as after getting home from a 12 hour night shift at 9.30am I texted Weaz to request a couple of hours kip and I would turn up at half time! Luckily we had 15 players so all was well, as it happened I "overslept" and woke up at 12!! I raced it down the stairs and the Mrs already had the engine running to get to Par running track to see Mark Place score with a well taken finish only to be told by one of the 16 spectators braving the cold and drizzle that that had made it 3-3 with 18 minutes to go! Weaz shouted over to get straight on and we went 3 at the back so I stripped off( not a pretty sight these days) deciding to keep the Xmas pressie adidas thermal gloves on me pinkies for comfort. First touch was like an elephant floundering around on a mud bath of a pitch, went to lay it off ten yards and managed about three which got cut out by the lively Bodmin midfield resulting in a missed chance to my relief. Second touch was even worse getting the ball stuck between my feet and falling over after a slight nudge in the back, got away with it when the ref gave us a free kick! Not in my day it wasn't!! The centre half used to have at least two free cracks at you before the ref would even bother to utter a word in his direction!! As a striker I prefer the new no contact rule!! Anyway from that attack the pacy, very pacy for a vet! Liam Hearn got away down the left and sent over an inch perfect ball to the far post and my third touch of the ball was a bit better than the other two heading home from four yards!! I could see the headlines beckoning! Packhorse go to the top of the league for the first time ever!!! My hopes turned to dust or more like six inches of mud as we failed clear a spot of pinball in the saturated box and my old Wadebridge team mate Eggy popped up to score a 90th minute equaliser!! Anyway back to bed now to watch the start of Liverpool v Utd before these two once giants of the game send me to sleep!! all for the love of the game!! On the plus side my knee ain't too painful and I've only got 12 goals to go for the 2000 and retirement!!! Didn't want to be stuck on 13 for too long so glad I made the effort. Nice to see a few old pals on the Bodmin team as well. Still quality players. Goodnight x

Edited by RAPPO

Just out of interest, what constitutes a "veteran"? Is it governed by age or just how old you feel? Just wondering how long it will be until I begin to grace these games with my presence