Cornwall Football Forum

WOMENS WORLD CUP CANADA

ECPL

Would be interested to know the views on this years World Cup.  Apart from a couple of teams the competition has been quite close.  What has impressed me is the standard of control on an artificial pitch.  The skill levels are very high, the pace , speed and energy is top quality and there has been some stunning goals.  Hardly any histrionics after being fouled, but the officials are not of the highest quality.  

After a slow start England were superb against Mexico.  Could go far

There have been displays of inspirational behaviours towards the opposing players, fans, benches and match officials throughout this tournament.

i know it's less competitive than at the men's World Cup where all the money is, but there have been next to zero attempts at deceiving referees by diving or feigning injuries and the Captains get together with the officials after the match and have a ritual Fair Play handshake.

there is much for us all to learn from the Women's World Cup ........

come on England !!!! 

Eh, methnks not.  It is estimated that over 1 billion will have watched the competition on TV.   Apart from that gates have been from over 10,000 per match to 50,000 per match.  Not bad at all.  Even the womens league in England is now getting bigger gates than some conference clubs.  

Estimate is the operative word.

​Older, you are so anti women playing the game that it's exasperating ! 

​No, not anti women playing football at all. It all gets out of perspective when you boys put your rose coloured specs on....that's all.

It is what it is, a mans game being played by women, at a women's pace, and strength. Can't run, can't jump and can't catch a ball.

......they enjoy themselves, and that's fine. I have watched quite a bit of women's football.....its alright, and I fully support their right, and freedom to play the game.

Can't run, can't jump and can't catch a ball.......they enjoy themselves,

How utterly condescending is that.   You obviously have your pre conceived views which to be honest defy logic.  The game is played at a very high pace and players show terrific instant control on a plastic pitch. Great shots from distance and superb saves by goalkeepers. Unfortunately you do not see that - or you do not want to see hence your nonsensical posts. 

Edited by ECPL

Apart from that gates have been from over 10,000 per match to 50,000 per match

​Ivory Coast 1-3 Norway was watched by 7,147. Because some of the games are played at the same stadium akin the the Cornwall Junior/Senior Cup finals, some of the attendances for both games are recorded as the same which isn't exactly accurate.

And England have still not shown their best form.yet.  Tough match ahead against Japan, but to be honest none of the four teams left have impressed me yet.  Germany got away with it against France and USA did not impress at all against China.  54,000 gate. not bad at all.  Looking forward to Wednesday.    

Oh dear Keith B.  What on earth were you watching.  This was all out attacking football,   Every time a Japan player got on the ball she was surrounded by English girls.,  It was by far Englands best performance and they did not leave anything on the pitch.  This game was all about a couple of inches.  If Duggans shot had been two inches lower it would have been a goal, if the own goal was two inches higher then it would not have gone in.  I will agree with you about the match officials.  It is such a shame that at this level the match officials are just not up to it.  The Japan penalty was clearly outside but the referee was let down by the linesman.  She was clueless throughout the game.  Womens football must now push on from this.  From grassroots upwards the game should be encouraged.  Unfortunately the women play at the behest of the mens teams.   Will the FA help.  Not a chance.  The fans will pack Wembley for the final with the winners receiving a paltry £5,000 while the men get well over a million and the FA suits will be out in force, full of patronising comments but I'm afraid very little else.  The game was played as it should be played with 100% effort and commitment.  A great advert but unfortunately in a few weeks time it will be just old news and the suits will gladly go away and count the dosh this world cup has given to the game.  

Each to his own.  England were superb.  Yes Japan had a lot of possession but didn't have a clue what to do with it.  In fact Englands goalkeeper had virtually nothing to do.  Yes at times Englands passing was not good but the passion and sheer gutsy way they played they deserved much more than a fluke losing goal.    Poor old the OlderIget is just a wind up merchant  in fact I would be surprised if he has ever seen a female game . Isn't it odd that at the top WSL level they get bigger gates than a lot of Conference clubs.  Womens football is on the rise so lets be thankful for that.  Only time will tell. . 

Each to his own.  England were superb.  Yes Japan had a lot of possession but didn't have a clue what to do with it.  In fact Englands goalkeeper had virtually nothing to do.  Yes at times Englands passing was not good but the passion and sheer gutsy way they played they deserved much more than a fluke losing goal.    Poor old the OlderIget is just a wind up merchant  in fact I would be surprised if he has ever seen a female game . Isn't it odd that at the top WSL level they get bigger gates than a lot of Conference clubs.  Womens football is on the rise so lets be thankful for that.  Only time will tell. . 

​Women's football is on the rise - amen to that. You could be right about older - :)

​LOL:thumbsup:

I thought England were unlucky to lose .stayed up to watch the game even though I had work next day . in the second half they closed down Japan and had the better chances .but fate turned the game on its head and the tears flowed . England has made great strides for the women's game  and a lot of men has watched  .  and been surprised how good some of the games had been . You can't compare the professional men's game with the ladies . the money doesn't compare . just take it in its own right .the pluses for the ladies is very little dissent no rolling around when fouled .downside was some of the refs  but that will come . 

I cannot believe how clueless you are.  You are obviously a wind up merchant.  Still if it makes you happy, go with it. 

​I think you've put your finger right on it ECPL - he's a windup merchant. Perhaps if we ignore him he'll go away - some hopes.

His named location I see is cuckoo land - very apt !!

​WAHAY!!!!! to quick for me, but slow enough for the girlies game. Can't run, can't catch, erm, you know the rest.

Been down St Just loads of times, got a few friends down there believe it or not.

Played there as well many years ago, no problems, knock em over with a feather.

Edited by TheolderIgetthebetterIwas
add comment

Well done to the ladies. After the semi defeat they deserve their moment of glory . and the first win against Germany . third in the world . now hopefully sponsors will get behind the ladies game 

​Amen to that ! :)

​Deserve their glory.?????????????    They finished 3rd.

There is only one way for glory. WINNERS.

England 1 Germany 0

Oh dear Somersetspur, England have never reached this level before and never beaten Germany, I call that a win win.   A fantastic result and well deserved.  To me the outstanding player of the series for England has to be captain Steph Houghton.  This world cup has opened up many peoples eyes as to the high standard these players have achieved.  There was great article in the Plymouth Herald where Plymouth's own Jemma Rose an England under 23 international who now plays for Arsenal said: 'Don't compare mens with womens football.  Men are fitter and faster and physically stronger. So take it as it is'.  It is great to watch and hopefully this world cup will help attract more young girls into the game.  There will still be the critics but they now have nothing to say because millions all over the world has seen how technically and tactically as well as the fitness levels and pace has been shown.    

Edited by ECPL

OK sss perhaps achievement is a better word .the England ladies have made great strides in the world ranking  and have been a credit to their game and country . hopefully it will be a boost for the women's game in this country  after the 90 world cup when I was involved with managing a local team their was an influx of young players  attending training which was great to see . The England ladies deserve their moment in the spotlight .many have to work to support their football . . well done to the ladies .if the men ever manage a third place at the next world cup the response from everyone would be nuts .