Cornwall Football Forum

Ireland v England

I thought Kieron Westwood was bad but Shay Given had the ball in his hands for 14 seconds. Even with ITV showing a highlight after every move it's not always easy to notice but has the six second rule been abolished or are these 'professional' or 'international' referees being weak?

im not sure on this rule , because during this past season iv pointed out to a ref that the opposition keeper had had the ball longer than 6 seconds and he replied that it wasnt a rule no more. then also this season iv been warned by a differant ref that i had the ball for too long so i dnt even know the rule. 

i have also been warned this season about bouncing the ball before a kick it. apprently thats not aloud either. i still do it tho and have only ever had it pointed out to me once 

I was at Dublin's Aviva Stadium on Sunday a bit cream crackered with travel etc. I used the goal kick time to sit, took the weight off my legs, I agree it was a poor game but important to both countries in preparation for next weekends games, some games are good others are dull but as football supporters that is what we have to accept at any level of the sport. Would I drive from High Wycombe to Holyhead and catch the ferry over again, YES I would although I accept it was a grind doing it alone.

I have an number of loners trips in the pipeline, next weekend I go to Ljubljana for the Slovenia v England game, we should realise that UEFA tells the FA when the UEFA 2016 games are played. It's great to follow our national team, I was in Italy in February for a friendly game and have booked my trip to San Marino v England including an Italy break (5 nights) for September.

My England programme will end with a trip to Lithuania in October. Is it a waste of time? NO -

A waste of time is sitting at home doing nothing but moan about being bored - Viva la England.

England have gone 10 games undefeated but Slovenia are 2nd in the group so an England win is not guaranteed.

Let's not forget a recent Irish result that wasn't a friendly :

UEFA European Championship Qualifying Round 14 October 2014

Germany 1 - 1 Republic of Ireland

​And in March 2015

Republic of Ireland 1 - 1 Poland 

So Ireland have drawn against group leaders Poland and 2nd placed Germany,

ADD to that 14 of their players were from English Premiership clubs so they were not the minnows of the past.