Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy League - a decade ago

I have unearthed some old programmes and found some referees lists from 2004/05. Some of the clubs are no longer around but the following were all in the Duchy League from that season. Some names ring bells but some don't. Can anyone help identify the following and confirm where they played?

Bugle Orient - Molinnis

Garrison - Dragon Centre, Bodmin ?

Lewdown Rovers

Lifton

Maker With Rame

Mary Tavy

Menheniot

Mount Charles

Newmoor - Kessell Park, St Dennis

Porthia

Saltash Churches - Warfelton?

South Petherwin

St Anns Chapel

Tywardreath RBL - Par Running Track

St.Neot
Club Info 
AddressAdjacent to Menheniot Cricket Ground

​I realise they play at Menheniot Willow Tree, just thinking out loud - why do they play 10 miles away from St Neot and as they play in Menheniot, why not call themselves Menheniot! It's obviously not as simple as that and perhaps someone in the know might put me out of my misery! :)

Maker and Rame did become Edgcumbe Reserves who play at Horson Field (Torpoint) although I'm not sure when, fairly recent though. Edgcumbe First Team play at Millbay (played there many years ago, great pitch!) but it's only about 2 minutes from the Torpoint Ferry and as the crow flies about 2 minutes from Mount Edgcumbe! Just the small matter of the River Tamar being in the way!

With St Neot maybe the Menheniot set up is better? 

St Ann's Chapel played at George V Playing field in Gunnislake.

Porthia became Bodmin Saints in 2006 who played their games at the Dragon Leisure Centre.

I was told at the start of the season by an official of the club when I asked him about the club playing at Millbay Park : "It's our pitch for as long as we want it to be, but we are working hard on a permanent pitch back in Torpoint and will hopefully be sorted ASAP. Since we've started we've played at maker church, Raleigh, Millbrook, Horson, Millbrook, Raleigh and now Millbay park so it is top of the priority list and has been for a few years."

Maker used to be called The Halfway House when we first set it up and soon changed to Maker (cant remember dates) We negoitiated with Mount Edgcumbe to use a plot next to Maker Church which we shared with 350 sheep !

Changing facilities were often in Millbrook and then we changed in a sheep shed on the site of the pitch.

After a while we secured a grant to develop the ground adjacent to Millbrooks pitch but after 2 years of working and sweating over it, the plans never materialised.

MQx

Edgcumbe did indeed start their duchy conquest back in 2002 on a sheep field next to Maker Church, I'm not sure it's in the grounds of Mount Edgcumbe but Mount Edgcumbe is in the Maker with Rame Parish & it's exactly how MQ describes. As they progressed they then went down to Millbrook as they folded for a while, Millbrook reformed and Edgcumbe shifted to HMS Raleigh in Torpoint. HMS Raleigh then had their changing rooms condemned the season Edgcumbe were pushing to win ECPL Div 1, so half way through that season Millbrook kindly let Edgcumbe pitch share and Edgcumbe went on to do the league & cup double. The first team used Horson a couple of times when a fixture clashed with Millbrook's.

They were able to do this, as Edgcumbe second team who became the second team after taking over Maker with Rame in 2012/2013 season were using Horson & still do.

For the first teams debut season in ECPL Prem they have used Millbay & will do until the new facility that will be in Torpoint is up & running. This may be a few seasons away yet but the plans are in.

I'm 99% sure what I've written is correct & through the constant upheaval they've managed to win 5 league trophies & 5 cups in 13 years. Not too bad really I suppose!

Mary Tavy played at the recreation field behind the Community Centre, easily seen from the road through the village, nowadays used by Princetown in the Plymouth & West Devon Combination

Lewdown Rovers played at the recreation ground, accessed off the road through the village

Lifton played at Leat Road, same as they do now

Edgcumbe did indeed start their duchy conquest back in 2002 on a sheep field next to Maker Church, I'm not sure it's in the grounds of Mount Edgcumbe but Mount Edgcumbe is in the Maker with Rame Parish & it's exactly how MQ describes. As they progressed they then went down to Millbrook as they folded for a while, Millbrook reformed and Edgcumbe shifted to HMS Raleigh in Torpoint. HMS Raleigh then had their changing rooms condemned the season Edgcumbe were pushing to win ECPL Div 1, so half way through that season Millbrook kindly let Edgcumbe pitch share and Edgcumbe went on to do the league & cup double. The first team used Horson a couple of times when a fixture clashed with Millbrook's.

They were able to do this, as Edgcumbe second team who became the second team after taking over Maker with Rame in 2012/2013 season were using Horson & still do.

For the first teams debut season in ECPL Prem they have used Millbay & will do until the new facility that will be in Torpoint is up & running. This may be a few seasons away yet but the plans are in.

I'm 99% sure what I've written is correct & through the constant upheaval they've managed to win 5 league trophies & 5 cups in 13 years. Not too bad really I suppose!

Thanks for the update Webby, rather spookily, I bumped into Ian Berry at the weekend shopping in Liskeard. He was the ??? Park ranger ???? At Mount Edgcumbe country park which is why I know that the pitch was part of the country estate as I had many meetings with him when we arranged the pitch.

MQx

My input below

Bugle Orient - Molinnis - before this they were Nanstallon Utd (I remember the aplication for name change! They had a pitch at Lower Boscarne nr Washaway)

Garrison - Dragon Centre, Bodmin ? Garrison changed names and are now AFC Bodmin

Lewdown Rovers 

Lifton

Maker With Rame covered above

Mary Tavy when they withdrew from duchy league they became Princetown in plym league

Menheniot

Mount Charles they were at Penrice School and before the farmers field nr Luxulyan where Luxulyan sunday league played aswell

Newmoor - Kessell Park, St Dennis

Porthia they were named/sponsored by Porthia developments, when I played them they changed at Bodieve wadebridge but played at St.Kew Highway

Saltash Churches - Warfelton?

South Petherwin

St Anns Chapel, they played in the village. When they withdrew they became Bere Alston utd reserves (as the whole Bere team were Elm United in Plym) this is why bere reserves went from green kit to orange (st anns were orange!)

Tywardreath RBL - Par Running Track