Cornwall Football Forum

illogan v redruth boxing day

With illogan v redfuth one of the pick of the boxing day combo line ups it should be a great game. Illogan are the current combo champs with plenty of experienced previous combo winners in their side on show also throw in a couple of ringers will make this game very well matched. Redruth having a set of ex illogan players and ex illogan manager will always make this fixture a tasty one. League positions count for nothing on boxing day - 11am ko

His son plays for our 1st team and son in law plays for Redruth . Ian is one of the best around and that won't stand in his way and think both sets of managers are happy with the appointment as always a few hard tackles either way going in and will need a strong ref. Good luck both teams today as has all the potential to be a cracking game

Well, I wished I was wrong, but the ref was shocking in this game. Illogan won 2-1, due to Redruth's inability to deal with the second ball and to pick up on the edge of the box, they also lost, having a perfectly good goal ruled out in the first half, two stone wall penalties turned down and numerous other offences, not punished. Illogan played the conditions well and Redruth looked like a team lacking fitness! That said, the ref played a major role, assisting Illogan. I hope the county fa look at how many Illogan games this guy has reffed and how many wins they have! I am fearful for any team playing Illogan in the future, with this bloke reffing. I support neither team, but refs earn respect, when they give it to both teams.

Can't say I agree with Winston. Cracking Boxing Day derby, competently reffed. Redruth looked to be the likely winners but fell behind to Illogan's 1st shot on target on 30 mins. Well-worked equaliser before half time. The "penalty" looked like the ball skidded of the wet surface and hit the Illogan defender who had his arm down by his body. Illogan took the lead again with a nice move then rode their luck in the face of a fairly continuous bombardment. One highlight: 90th minute and Barry Wyatt making a run down the right wing to make a long-distant attempt on goal which went wide. Don't know the names of the scorers; about 60 watching (would have been more but for the weather). Thoroughly enjoyable to the neutral spectator.

Got to be honest thought Ian Roberts did a good job today, redruth probably had more possession before illogan scored, redruth failed to clear their lines and babbo made them pay finding the corner via a deflection, redruth equalised deservedly before half time and a penalty turned down which I honestly thought was shoulder to shoulder. Illogan scored early doors with a great move involving si carter, Gary sturmey finished by Adam Callaway, then despite pressure Don't think redruth had a shot on target good defending and poor final ball allowed illogan to see it out :-)

I agree Ben, Ian had a decent game, certainly didn't side with either of the teams............as earlier suggested....

Two loud calls for Redruth penalties (that i saw); Tom Hogarth threw himself to the floor when shoulder to shoulder with an Illogan defender (agree with the 'senior' Illogan player who described it as embarrassing) and right at the death James Leeson fell to the ground after clattering into an Illogan defender trying to meet a cross!

Chances were at a premium but being a derby game it was always engaging

Ian Roberts is one of the best if ref's in Cornwall and probably why he had this game today because it was a game that meant more than 3 pts to both teams and he had a great game to say otherwise is simply sour grapes.

As for the game we said before we walked on the pitch it won't be pretty and it was simply about the result and it was.

Chances for both teams were limited, we had 2-3 chances and scored 2 redruth had even less, they had more possession granted but we were well organised and difficult to break down with our back 4 playing superb.

In the end there was very little difference between the sides and if we didn't win we certainly deserved a point but I think the fact our goalkeeper walked off the pitch with as clean a kit as when he walked on says a lot.

One comment: the lad who came on for Illogan as sub wearing No 7: in added-on time, when you get the ball wide on the wing with space ahead of you, take it to the corner and stand on it to shave a few seconds off the remaining time left. He tried a pass in-field which held up in the mud and was intercepted: Redruth didn't score as a result, obviously - but they MIGHT have done and 2 points would have been lost! Me and some other oldies were shouting to the lad to go for the corner. Didn't help our blood pressure to see Redruth given another attacking chance!

Redruth were defensively poor and conceded two average goals which could of easily been avoided!! Decent crowd and the pitch held up ok but looks set to ensure tomorrow's game won't go ahead which is a shame! Good crowd for a poor day of weather and a decent performance by the referee both 'claims' for pens were worthless and the goal which wasn't to be for Redruth was a blatant push in the back.

A strange result with Helston losing also to port what happened there? Also expected mullion to turn over Wendron? Good half way point for the league as there's still 4/5 teams still in the chase!!!! Few games off tomorrow in this league too I expect which will be a shame!

One comment: the lad who came on for Illogan as sub wearing No 7: in added-on time, when you get the ball wide on the wing with space ahead of you, take it to the corner and stand on it to shave a few seconds off the remaining time left. He tried a pass in-field which held up in the mud and was intercepted: Redruth didn't score as a result, obviously - but they MIGHT have done and 2 points would have been lost! Me and some other oldies were shouting to the lad to go for the corner. Didn't help our blood pressure to see Redruth given another attacking chance!

The young number 7 will learn from this... He kmew shortly after he done wrong.

Great result for us....