Cornwall Football Forum

St Blazey v Witheridge Mon.6th.May k.o.1.30pm

Hammered!

I'll start the excuses off for Blazey. We only started one first choice defender (Dan Evans) and he came off after around 10 minutes injured. The situation was so dire we had Lewis Coombes playing Centre Half and it showed; instead of marking up he went looking for space! We had our chances but credit to Witheridge for the win and leap frogging Blazey into 7th place.

Witheridge completed their season in style with a 4-1 win away at St Blazey which meant Withy leapfrogged their hosts to finish the season in 7th place which is Witheridge's highest finished since the SWPL Premier Division began back in 2007. Three goals in the first thirty minutes pretty much settled the tie after strikes from Steve Ebdy, Richard Blake and a stunning freekick from Jordan Charran with the hosts pulling a goal back just before half time through Lewis Coombes before a late second half strike from man of the match Roger Ingham completed the scoring as Witheridge ended their season on a high.

Typical end of season game wasnt it steve, credit to witherige very good side and were hard to break down. Heard at the game today that ex green & blacks frontman Glynn Hooper linked with the Truro City job? If so its been kept very quiet in Newquay, cant see him leaving mount wise a club on the up for a club like Truro that are in freefall

Well said Phil, i personally think afew are jelous of what newquay have achieved and want to rock the apple cart

Jealous of what they've achieved...? What have they achieved?

I personally think with the squad at Newquay, they have done nothing but under achieved!

All due respect Lafs, Newquay could've been in Penzances shoes this year and still would've finished higher than they have since 2006, doesn't make it a good season!

What did Newquay achieve ? Well as you have asked so nicely, a decent cup run where we were within 10 seconds of a place in the Cornwall Senior Cup Final. A mid-ish table finish, having scored almost 2 a game and with a positive goal difference and the 3rd highest average gates in the SWPL, and the best travelling support of any club, all despite what everyone outside the club think has been a poor season.

Hooper has had to contend with all sorts of problems including having to rebuild last summer after players leaving for work or going travelling, retirements, some dropping down the leagues and others chasing money. In came some players who just didn't fit in or didn't want to travel to train, another had educational reasons. A series of injuries led to a shortage of players mid season, in came 4 players, one left to return to Combo football, another with a broken leg. Hooper has not been able to put out the same side two game in a row all season. And we were one of the few sides to take a point from Bodmin. If Hoops stays, we hope he can take us to the next step, if he goes, then it is with thanks for what he has helped us achieve.

Off the pitch, the facilities have been upgraded and are now acceptable for Step 5, or will be in the next week or so when the lights are recalibrated. The FA Vase entry is a welcome return for the fans, new grounds are a bonus, one of the reasons why we enjoyed our first season in the Prem.

Jealous, perhaps not but it appears that no one outside of Mount Wise can see the positive side. Never mind, I'm sure your clubs are all doing far better than us, in which case, well done and thank you for your interest in the club that has the potential to be the biggest non league and community club this side of Bristol. Talking of which, we have been awarded The FA Standard Charter Club Award for Cornwall, must be doing something right !

A decent cup run (no finals/trophies), A mid-ish table season (bottom half), a positive goal difference (just), decent gates and travelling fans (what that has to do with having a good season and what you have achieved I ll never know) and potential to be the biggest club this side of Bristol (potential, but far from it).

In that case, congratulations in all you've achieved!

Once again a thread that is nothing to do with Newquay turns into a lets bash Newquay thread.

As I wrote in my match day notes when they visited EDP the other day. Great Club, Great Committee & Supporters. Why almost everyone outside of the club that uses this forum are obsessed with them though is beyond me. As Glynn Hopper said to me after the match when he knew about the notes in our programme. I have such a massive wage budget that's why I had no subs today and had to name myself on the bench and play Blackler out field.

Back to the actual topic I thought Witheridge were worth their 4-1 win against a very depleted and must say tired Blazey side. Most of those lads had played 4x90 minute games by last night!

Correction to the goal-scorer for Blazey was Lewis Edwards not Lewis Coombes, who I thought did a pretty good job at centre half for a striker by the way!

Witheridge looked a sharp and well drilled side so fair play to them. Heard there is a lot of money being thrown into the squad too?

Hang on North Devon Dweller, I dont think anyone is purposely picking on Newquay here anymore than eg Bodmin, Falmouth Town, Saltash & Liskeard have had their critics on here...i think what sparked the laughter and response was `Adams` comment stated that clubs were jelous of what Newquay have achieved?? I think that it has left afew of us actually wondering what that might be? For most a mid table finish for a club with the financal clout that repordidly they have there is the complete opposite of success! Lets get real here players are not going to travel from Plymouth or Penwith areas to Newquay because they enjoy the traveling! Mr Hooper must be dissapointed, not that he would ever state that publicly. However congratulations on Witheridge`s succesful league campaign, Steve Ebby still banging in the goals!

And as Hoops said on Saturday, we must have some big budget at Newquay, look at all the players queuing up to play today ! Remeber Dan Magee chose not to play for Newquay after he looked at the away fixtures, all in Devon, not enough money to pay for fuel, returned to Ludgvan. As the season has just minutes left, I will leave you with this. Newquays budget was less than 3 West Div sides and about a third of what most of you imagine. Have a good summer and hope you clog up the local cricket forums slating sides who drag professionals in from all 4 corners of the globe.

Sorry Nemesis, lets just agree to disagree. I have no doubt in my mind and im sure others will agree that your team has one of the bigger budgets in the premier division if not the highest. Not that it matters each club to their own and all that! Certainly bigger than any club in Div one west though, that is a daft remark. If you have players that dont wish to travel then why sign them in the first place, especially from far and wide of the county!! Have a great summer.