Cornwall Football Forum

How many have you been too?

I've got a spare 5mins whilst having a brew.

I was thinking, with Falmouth Athletic joining the Combo, I have a new ground to visit.

So I was thinking aloud and decided to start one of those useless summer threads!

I wondered how many Combo grounds have I visited to watch a Combo game, and how many other people have been too, to play in or watch a Combo match. Not just to visit or watch a non-combo team.

So to start the ball rolling here are the clubs who have had at least one team in the Combo, 37 in all.

ST JUST, PERRANWELL, NEWQUAY, CULDROSE, HELSTON, PENZANCE, MULLION, MOUSEHOLE, ILLOGAN, PENRYN, ST AGNES, MARAZION, PORTHLEVEN, ST IVES, FALMOUTH DOCKS, ST DENNIS, LUDGVAN, PENDEEN, RAF ST MAWGAN, GOONHAVERN, WENDRON, HOLMAN SC, HAYLE, TROON, ST DAY, CARHARRACK, PERRANPORTH, ST COLUMB MINOR, TRURO, NANPEAN, FALMOUTH TOWN, STICKER, ST BREWARD, PORTREATH, ROCHE, BUGLE, FATHMOUTH ATHLETIC

I'll atart the ball rolling by saying I've watched a Combo game at the following clubs, 28 in all.

ST JUST, PERRANWELL, NEWQUAY, CULDROSE, HELSTON, PENZANCE, MULLION, MOUSEHOLE, ILLOGAN, PENRYN, ST AGNES, MARAZION, PORTHLEVEN, ST IVES, FALMOUTH DOCKS, LUDGVAN, PENDEEN, RAF ST MAWGAN, GOONHAVERN, WENDRON, HOLMAN SC, HAYLE, TROON, ST DAY, PERRANPORTH, TRURO, FALMOUTH TOWN, PORTREATH

Haven't St.Breward been in the Combination League ctb?

Won the league in the mid to late sixties,can remember needing to sit on my dads shoulders to see the game crowds in the mid 100's in those days. Two coach loads on away games,Nanpean was local derby that was 20 miles away.Trip to St Just Penzance etc was a days outing, no duel carriageways in those days :yahoo:

Played a game and watched a game from various leagues at most apart from st mawgan and st coloumb!

Also where did Falmouth docks have their pitch?? Obviously never been there when they existed as wouldn't ask! Lol

The cat

The Falmouth Docks pitch was on the right hand side of Bickland Water Road going towards the Swanpool area and there is an industrial estate there now where Rowe's and the Post Ofice have buildings/depots.

RAF St.Mawgan,i think,used to play at St.Eval.

RAF St Mawgan's pitch was at St Eval amongst the houses. The teams used to change and have after-match snacks, etc in the NAFFI that used to be there.

I saw 2-3 games up there before they left the league in 1996

Marazion Blues used to play at Rosudgeon until 1972-73 when they moved to Folly Field

Helston Athletic used to play at Beacon Park until they moved to Kelloway in 1974-75.

One team I missed off was Camborne School of Mines who joined the league for the 1964-65 season but only played 1 cup game and 5 league games by Christmas so left the league. They were fined £25 for doing so.

Their league record reads

17-10-64 CAMBORNE SCHOOL OF MINES 4-1 MARAZION BLUES

7-11-64 CAMBORNE SCHOOL OF MINES 1-5 PORTHLEVEN

24-10-64 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES 2-0 CAMBORNE SCHOOL OF MINES

3-10-64 PORTHLEVEN 5-0 CAMBORNE SCHOOL OF MINES

10-10-64 CAMBORNE SCHOOL OF MINES 0-4 NEWQUAY RESERVES

I know someone will want to know about the School of Mines Cup game.

I those days the Combo League Cup was based on 4 division each of several teams who played each other twice to make up mini leagues, the winners of each going through to the semi-finals.

These games were played mostly mid-week early in the season. Sometimes a club would play a league match on a Saturday and cup games on a Tuesday and Thursday. There always seemed to be as panic to get the league games over with as quickly as possible.

When the evenings got dark they would then play their remaining cup games on a weekend. The league allowed 3-4 league games on a weekend at the start of the season just to keep it ticking over. The rest played cup games.

These mini-divisions were the same most seasons so a stronger club always seems to get into the semi-finals year after year.

The 1964-65 season saw the Combo with 15 clubs with one cup division containing 3 teams and 3 with 4 teams. The 3 team division contained RAF St Mawgan, RNAS Culdrose and Camborne School of Mines. The only game played was S.O.M 0-2 RNAS Culdrose before S.O.M. pulled out.

So the league decided that the group would be decided on a one-off match (no home and away). RAF St Mawgan beat Culdrose 5-0 and progressed to the semis where they lost to St Just 6-2.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/64lcup.htm

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/64table.htm

The League Cup stayed in this mini-league version until the start of the 1981-82 season when it became a knock-out cup as today. Pressure to alter the system came from the fact that the league numbers had increased so there was added pressure of more league games to be played.

The Supplementary Cup was introduced for the start of the 1985-86 season and has always been a knock competition.