Cornwall Football Forum

CHEATING LINESMANS.......

Guest mikey catterall

there is nothing worse than a flag happy lino as a attacker when a through ball is put over and u start ur run 5yards off the defender and run past him after the ball is kicked and the lino puts his flag up but most teams with slow defences will scream at there lino so i expect most of them feel under pressure as they are usually youngsters doing it but speedy u and i both know that they are some who do it for there teams benifit we had one the other week that to be honest was just being silly always laughing with his mates when he knew it wasnt offside but thats the way it goes mate but i wont critisice them all :lol: goodluck to all linesmen this season i might have to take the flag at some point this season :o

all strikers like to think all linesmen are cheats me included but its not always the case

against chacewater i was lino as i couldnt play due to my injury and all i got from start to finish was grief from theere players and fans..... i can honestly say i didnt cheat once

against guval was the exact same for my friend giles.... from start to finish they had a clown on the side line screaming at every oppourtunity, belive hes the general but not sure

and saturday mr mooney for ludgvan was glaring at are lino shouting at him and moaning at the ref because of him wen even his own players were telling him he was offside!!

Not exactly sure what you are accusing me of here TMS no 9 but calling me a clown is a little rich. The recent 1-1 I was in Dartmoor (short stay this time).

An appology will suffice in this instance.

as someone who runs the line nearly ever week i take offence to your comment. i also used to play up front myself "at least have the balls to except that it may just be you that is not perfect.i suppose that every striker is right every time and every referees assistant (linesman to you ) is wrong.we are at this level of football because we enjoy it not because we are perfect.if the referee thinks the assistant is bias he should check him out.but he is most probably to busy because of players like yourself who cannot stop moaning. :SM_carton:

just goes to prove how honest you are when you defend diving.

you try running the line for a season and see how much abuse you can take.

Guest Matty M87

agree with monty here. this isnt the premiership, the linos arent professional, but some like to get involved in too many decisions that should be left up to the ref (freekicks, pens etc) and as a striker, there is nothing more frustrating than be flagged when you started your run 5 yards onside. or when you come across a lino that doesnt know all the rules. couple weeks ago i got to the byeline and played a ball backwards into the box for my teammate to tap in and the lino flagged it. (you cant be offside when the ball is played backwards, or if the player receiving the ball is behind the ball when it is played) the ref fortuneately did know the rules, and gave the goal.

On a serious note to the original post.

Having run the line on many occassions as an ex -player some things need to be made clearer. Some ref will happily say flag what you see, if I disagree I will acknowledge and wave play on. Others just want line calls, some want more participation.

At Halsetown this season, Lenny Stevens ruled out a goal for Gulval for offside, a decision given by the Halsetown lino. I was off course upset and challenged the decision at full time but had to concede, I was not close, I was not level and anyway my opinion however heartfelt, did not matter. I did the right thing and admitted my error.

At Storm in the first game of the season, late in the game I took the flag and gave a decision that a player in the middle of the Gulval box was in my opinion offside. The Ref went with my decision stopped play, when I explained my decision said "oh no you cant give it for that" and gave a drop ball. I was then called a cheat because of it. I will be clear, the player wasin an offside position, but the referee had failed to explain that he was making all decisions reffering to interferring.

The truth is, we all moan, we are never happy unless it goes our way and no-one likes to lose. However, if I thought that I could not go back to the bar with the opposing team because of decision given in a game then I would walk away today.

I was in the bar at Halsetown and The Corn Exchange enjoying the banter with the opposing team.

against guval was the exact same for my friend giles.... from start to finish they had a clown on the side line screaming at every oppourtunity, belive hes the general but not sure

I played in the Gulval game, and what I can say is that "Giles" was not keeping up with play at times. In my opinion, that is not cheating, just a case of not knowing what the feck he was doing.

In the first half, you may recall the referee having a chat with "Giles" - I was too far away to hear what was said - but after the chat, I couldn't believe my eyes when "Giles" lined up about 10 to 15 yards further up the field than the TMS back line! How is he going to make a fair decision from clearly the wrong position?

Didn't have a clue..........

Just for the record I can honestly state that in all my years as a referee I have only ever had one linesman who was a cheat, any experienced referee will soon get an idea of whats going on and all you do is get yourself in a position to watch whats going on, the linesman will not notice where you are and it is fairly easy to catch him out. On another point to the General regardless as to whether you had made a mistake the referee should have still gone with your flag, it is not a good idea to undermine your assistants decisions for the simple reason that you may well be aprehensive about any further flags you need to make, i think he handled that very badly. Further to the initial post I referee approx 50 games a season and have yet to find a cheating assistant here in Cornwall, their abilities do vary but on the whole they do a very good difficult job.

B Manning :clapper: I have to agree with this 100%

I have had to run the line already this season and I have to say the referee did come over to me at one point and said I had put my flag up a little to quickly for a couple of decisions which I thought was good, I think if you have a decent referee and he gives the advice like I had then you cannot go wrong, I have only done the line once before so did not have a clue really but I did feel at ease after speaking to the referee and i thought it was very good advice :thumbsup:

Cockerneyboy, although most players will moan about " that was a late flag ref " in fact the late flag is the good one, an instant flag can mean its by instinct not by deliberation and I do not know whether you can remember an assistant flagging for a ball out of play (world cup a while back ) when in fact the player kept the ball in play that was a classic case of flagging on instinct expecting the ball to go out but it didn`t. too late he had flagged. I always instruct my assistants what I require them to do and 99% of the time thats what they do, also if I feel an assistant is nervous etc I will do all in my power to help them. An instance a few weeks ago I had a 14 year old as one assistant and he was very good but during the second half I had my suspicions that a player who had been sub`d was giving him a hard time, at the final whisle I thanked the young lad but also asked him if there was a problem, there had been but he was afraid to call me over, i got him to point out the offending player I had quite a few choice words of wisdom to offer that player ending in that he should be ashamed of himself plus if I had overheard what was going on it would have ended in disiplinary action. All referee`s should remember (aka the generals post ) you need those assistants to help you not to discourage them.

Most honest & sometimes because of it most annoying Martin Eddy at the club i currently manage Titans,ie postman pat would never cheat & for some reason feels he needs to help the opposition when he refs by giving me all :( but hes an honest cracking fella) We would prosper with a few more like him around, ive got to stop lying all the time :thumbsup: As for cheating linos well im sorry Rodders u ve got more cups down tinner land for cheating than ive had dinners & believe me ive had some dinners :lol: :lol:

I think it always quick to judge, we have all been on the wrong end of linesmans decisions, but like referees without them were . I run the line for my club most weeks and never have cheated, i was always told to wait 3 seconds before raising my flag. Dont forget we see some wrong decisions every week in the premiership, thats just part of football. What ever the results or decisions there is always the bar afterwards :drink::drink: :smiley20:

It's funny this topic because i would normally agree that linesman are not totally honest, but since being out injured and trying to be manager, ballboy and lino, I have had a change of opinions.

I'm not a cheat, it's not in my nature, but I took some abuse from illogan on Saturday, who seemed to feel that the more they got on my case, the more would go their way. That is an interesting tactic I have to say, but it is a shame that a club with such a strong squad felt the need to do this.

In terms of this starting runs 5 yards onside that doesn't really mean a lot either, if the pass is played when your are 10 yards into that run!

Give the guy running the line a break... especially you strikers who think you do no wrong. It may be a stright line you are looking down but ask yourself "Is it a diagonal line?"

To keep the debate fair some people running the line don't actually know what they are doing. They probably turned up to play and got asked by their manager to do it!

Cockerneyboy, although most players will moan about " that was a late flag ref " in fact the late flag is the good one, an instant flag can mean its by instinct not by deliberation and I do not know whether you can remember an assistant flagging for a ball out of play (world cup a while back ) when in fact the player kept the ball in play that was a classic case of flagging on instinct expecting the ball to go out but it didn`t. too late he had flagged. I always instruct my assistants what I require them to do and 99% of the time thats what they do, also if I feel an assistant is nervous etc I will do all in my power to help them. An instance a few weeks ago I had a 14 year old as one assistant and he was very good but during the second half I had my suspicions that a player who had been sub`d was giving him a hard time, at the final whisle I thanked the young lad but also asked him if there was a problem, there had been but he was afraid to call me over, i got him to point out the offending player I had quite a few choice words of wisdom to offer that player ending in that he should be ashamed of himself plus if I had overheard what was going on it would have ended in disiplinary action. All referee`s should remember (aka the generals post ) you need those assistants to help you not to discourage them.

Nice one :thumbsup:

Any chance you could spell my name correctly though please :SM_carton:

Being a linesman or assistant ref as they should be called is a difficult job. Most players who do run the line do not always understand the offside rule which is understandable with is the player inteferring or not rule.

It is very difficult to sometimes to watch the player playing the ball and the one receiving it and mistakes are made. I am no angel when it comes to linesman and in the past have had a few choice words with them but that is always in the heat of the moment.

Most of the time you are asking a sub to run the line and to be honest they don't really want to do it, so I think most players do the line with little enthusiasm, therefore, they often are watching the game more than concentrating on what they should be doing.

HMMMM ..? A clown from Gulval.? Any guesses any body.? If your friend Giles wants to make offside calls from the half way line, when the play is on the edge of your box , then i am going to question his abilities, not his honesty...And all that noise coming from me, lucky I'm not still playing... i was loud then. :yahoo:

postman pat no offence meant just saying how frustrating it can be..

i appreciate the linos that aint the sharpest but are trying to keep up,but it does wind me up wen they clearly cheat to stifle you.

i guess from now on im have to make my runs from my own half from now on :P hehe

I'm sure a lot of keepers get annoyed when forwards dive in the box to try and get a penalty ;) Surely thats cheating :rolleyes: Maybe someone should start a thread 'Cheating Forwards' :drink:

I'm not a cheat, it's not in my nature, but I took some abuse from illogan on Saturday, who seemed to feel that the more they got on my case, the more would go their way. That is an interesting tactic I have to say, but it is a shame that a club with such a strong squad felt the need to do this.

Funny you mention Illogan there Fatso. I had the exact same thing a few seasons ago at their ground and after an hour of being called a "cheating c**t" and any other expletives you can think of, and after me telling the players that I'd given offside because there was a bloody offside , I decided I'd had enough and told the main offender to "shut up you pr**k". David James was the ref, during the game he had a few words with Boris(Gulval skipper at the time) telling me not to get involved, therefore was fully aware of what was being said to me. After I said what I did to the abuser on the pitch, David James came over and gave me a :SM_carton_y: and got on with the game, not a thing said to the Illogan player. Gutted..

As for the topic, nothing much to say except, what a disrespectful title, you should practice what you preach. Afterall, you've admitted to diving. :o

Clown?. We aim to entertain, but that's a bit harsh fella ;)

HMMMM ..? A clown from Gulval.? Any guesses any body.?

Im gonna go for coopsie then :D:D:D:D

BA****D :clapper: . You've got a point though mate :c:

Apart a handful of officials i have to say overall the referee standard in the county is below average. there is no consistency in any of the officials decisions and alot of officials complete there course and then forget there training and just do there own thing and become mini hitlers. A good referee will make there mark on the game within the first few minutes and players should then just get on with there game and hopefully no cards will be shown and everybody will go home happy. :c:

Apart a handful of officials i have to say overall the referee standard in the county is below average. there is no consistency in any of the officials decisions and alot of officials complete there course and then forget there training and just do there own thing and become mini hitlers. A good referee will make there mark on the game within the first few minutes and players should then just get on with there game and hopefully no cards will be shown and everybody will go home happy. :c:

Are you qualified yourself Monty?

Sweeping statement there Monty i would like to know how you arrive at that conclusion, I can only assume you are a registered official and that you have played in a majority of the counties in the UK to be able to judge that the Cornish referee`s are below average, I think that statement needs to be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt unless you can back up the statement with experience.

played at all levels in the county and yes i am a trained official completing my referees course with the army FA back in january 1996. i have also experienced levels outside the county and on the continent and i have to say the standard of officials aboard are worse than ever, but i have to say that for needless tackling whilst officiating inter-unit games in Germany and even Cyprus there was rarely an occassion where you had to book someone for back chat. What im getting at is there needs to be more consistent discipline on the pitch and referees to make more consistent decisions and explain decisions to players quickly and effectively in order to gain that players respect and the game to run fluently. Football is an easy game and should only need the mininal amount of discipline to keep control in order to make the game proceed and to deem it a success within 90 minutes. Stop referees going into changing rooms before the game because this just adds to the fuel for a potential fire and make all officials suited and booted.

Well congratulations then well done, but I must pick you up on a couple of points, 1 Consistancy that is impossible as we are all individual people so that is in the realms of utopia. 2 Referee`s ( as you are qualified and should know) need not explain their decisions to players. 3 Any referee will only apply the minimul amount of discipline for that particular game, I can vouch for that myself as this season alone I have had games that needed no cards and others that I have issued 4 cards on so there is no hard and fast rule. 4 A fluent game as a referee I love nothing better than a game with minimal stoppages but as an example from my own experience last season I had a terrific end to end game playing advantage when I could but in the last 20mins things start to get silly tackles flying in dissent etc, so as a sensible referee I tighten the game up by giving more free kicks and not playing advantage ( as a qualified official you will recognise this scenario) within about 5 mins I had a player accuse me of ruining the game by my petty whistling, so I could not win whatever I did was wrong, but where do we look for the problem at me or the players. For your info I have played in at least 5 counties and officiated at a high senior level right down to grass roots and referee`d in excess of probably 2000 games. plus I am a referee assessor I hope that gives you an insight into my experience.

I have not doubted your experience i am just viewing my opinion,

As Bill Shankly said in 1971 "The trouble with referees is that they know the rules but dont know the game"

and that is true because all the best referees in this county have played the game at this level and still remain in the football circle and they immiedietly have the respect of players before a ball is even kicked.

Before the game just speak to the team captains together and also the managment staff about the techinical areas and who should be in them and where the subs should be and warm up etc etc.

When speaking to the captains give them some responsibility instead of just wearing the armband and looking good and attempt to communicate your expectations regarding adherence to the Respect campaign etc etc but dont waffle just keep it simple.

:c:

As soon as a referee comes into the Dressing Room before the game you know what you are in for!! FACT!!

Why do they feel the need to tell players the way they are going to officiate? can we go to a referee and say, "look ref, sorry, but I do tend to swear a bit so just bare with me for a bit"

There are some good referee's out there that you can talk to.

st darren on the one hand you say there are referees that you can talk to and on the other hand you say why do refs come into a changing room before a game. is this a case of damned if you do or damned if you don't <_<

players ask for consistancy surely if a ref talks to players before a game he is letting them know how he will ref the game.as we all know the laws are interperrated differently by most people.you only have to look at a descision on sky about 50 times and you still will not agree in some cases.

if a ref says he will do something but does not carry it out that is different again. :c:

Just for the debate, I will never speak to the captains or manager before the game, I give them credit for knowing what will be expected of them,plus they are probably more interested in getting on with the game than listening to the ref. Also I do not want to make statements that I may not need to keep to eg the referee who tell the teams that he will not tolerate foul language and anyone using it will be sent off and during the game a player mouths off to himself in frustration some foul language and the ref does not do what he said he would, to me he has let himself down by not adhereing to his prematch talk, so why put yourself in that position. Monty I did not worry that you doubted me it was just for you to get an idea as to my experience.

coopsie..before you embarass me with another poem ;)

refs and linos have the power

whereas players(even if they try cheating..not mentioning any names!)dont?..

so for them to abuse that and cheat is surely worse then me falling over a landmine in the penaltY area!! ;)

refs and linos are there to see there is no cheating....not to do it themselves...

i no its bad players cheating but it is worse when the officials do it..because if they do it what kind of example does that set??.........

no doubt you will shoot me down in flames with some witty comeback!!

you aint like alot of them on here ..(ALL THE GEAR...NO IDEA)

coopsie..before you embarass me with another poem ;)

refs and linos have the power

whereas players(even if they try cheating..not mentioning any names!)dont?..

so for them to abuse that and cheat is surely worse then me falling over a landmine in the penaltY area!! ;)

refs and linos are there to see there is no cheating....not to do it themselves...

i no its bad players cheating but it is worse when the officials do it..because if they do it what kind of example does that set??.........

no doubt you will shoot me down in flames with some witty comeback!!

you aint like alot of them on here ..(ALL THE GEAR...NO IDEA)

Nah mate. I'm shooting nobody down. You've got an opinion and you voiced it, that's your right :thumbsup::thumbsup: .

I just think that the word "cheat" is bandied around way too freely and perhaps is sometimes used mistakenly to describe somebody that is simply poor?.

Each to their own buddy, just be careful using "that word" because it can, and probably will come back to bite you on the ass?. You have to remember mate that those responsible for appointing those "cheats" and the "cheats" themselves, have access to this forum and probably regularly take a look to see what's going on. You can still be disciplined bud. You're bordering the world of slander and it would be a shame for such a good player as yourself to be banned over something such as this.

Just let your feet do your talking bud, you KNOW they are better than your mouth. :c: That is NOT a dig by the way :thumbsup:

cheers coopsie i know that wasnt a double edged sword you just gave me

i beleive you thousands wouldnt ;)

:clapper: .. Just keep your chin up buddy, do the business for your team-mates and everything else will fall smoothly into place :c:

Good luck for the rest of the season mate :thumbsup::c:

Oh, and if you REALLY want to use the word CHEAT freely and without worry, get yourself on the Non-Cornish section and get stuck into Howard Webb :angry2: :c:

Speedy Gonzales I will repeat from my earlier post that in all my years as a referee I have ever only known one "thats 1" assistant cheating, and as Anita posted there are far more forwards who take a dive in the penalty area in my case at least 1 occasion every 3 games. Also just for the record an assistant does not make any decisions, all decisions are the referee`s.

Just for the debate, I will never speak to the captains or manager before the game, I give them credit for knowing what will be expected of them,plus they are probably more interested in getting on with the game than listening to the ref. Also I do not want to make statements that I may not need to keep to eg the referee who tell the teams that he will not tolerate foul language and anyone using it will be sent off and during the game a player mouths off to himself in frustration some foul language and the ref does not do what he said he would, to me he has let himself down by not adhereing to his prematch talk, so why put yourself in that position. Monty I did not worry that you doubted me it was just for you to get an idea as to my experience.

Exactly mr referee, the first sentence is perfect, the players know what is expected of them

very true,so i empathise with you referees who have to rely on these linesmans judgements...:)

anyway no offence meant in any of my post's on this subject ,just a tongue in cheeky gripe about a few linesmans ive had in the first two games...

il just bite my tongue from now on and take these poor decisions on the chin..........

but i got a feeling im gonna have to have as good a chin as Arturo Gatti to survive these ..! :P

As Bill Shankly said in 1971 "The trouble with referees is that they know the rules but dont know the game"

They're not "rules" - they're "laws" :P Although in Shankley's day that probably wasn't the case.

There aren't many players who show up for footie on a Saturday thinking "I hope I get asked to run the line today" so those who take up the flag should be applauded as, without them, the game couldn't take place. And cheating has no place ANYWHERE on our pitches full stop.

I've been in FHFL 2 for a while now and I have to say that the assistant referee's are very fair indeed. I've come across some offsides decisions before that were blatently onside but as far as cheating I dont think it goes on. You can look a some teams like Mawnan who have the same linesman week in week out who are on the ball but sometimes teams put lads on the line that simply dont understand the laws of football which is a bit worrying.

I have never seen an assistant referee in FHFL signal a penalty, I have seen the referee approach the assistant ask what he saw and made a decision based on that but that is what assistant referees are there for, to assist to match official in the best way he/she can.

This weekend I watched an entertaining game between Mullion and Hayle in Fal/Hel Div.2. The linesman from Hayle had an excellent game even rebuking some of his own players when they shouted at him for NOT flagging. It is a shame that the Hayle forward wasn't as honest when he threw himself to the ground in the box (one of the worst technical dives you'll ever see - more practise needed)!! As the player was told to get up I made light of his antics to which he replied "Well I had to try it" Absolute disgrace :SM_carton: Ironically the Hayle manager was sporting an Arsenal shirt that day!!! :rolleyes: