Cornwall Football Forum

CHEATING LINESMANS.......

richard, how many players would give a penalty against their own team when a ref has asked, especially if they are only running the line because no 1 else can be bothered? i personally have and would again give a pen if it really was 1 if i was needed to run the line

ive done the job hundreds of times in league and cup games in all 3 leagues and would put hand on heart and say i was as honest as possible, but there is some out there, i woouldnt call cheats, but try and make the game sway more for their own side, i can see jakes point but dont agree with the word cheat being used when he admitts to diving

just wanted to say that most linesmen that run line are usually one of the subs and most don't like doing it but if they weren't to do it then probably most games wouldn't be played plus there not professional linos and how many times a week do we see them making mistakes !! i have played up front for years and it is very frustrating when your clearly on side and the flag goes up but you just got to get on with it but not all are like that !!!

yesterday Perranporth had a guy on the line who was fantastic,He was as honest as the day was long.It was so refreshing!!

Even at one stage when the card happy ref :SM_carton: was going to send the Rosudgeon player off for 50-50 bit of hand bags,The lino stepped in,Told the ref to use common-sense,And no card was produced.

Top notch :clapper::clapper::clapper: :c:

Good topic choice, i was at a Mining League 1 game a couple of weeks or so and it was a top of the table clash, one of the lino's couldnt believe the oppisite Lino flagged for a push in the back his exact words were "why is he flagging for a push in the back you can't do that in this league!?"I thought to myself Hang on a linesman is in term a 2nd Official so he is there to assist the ref, I'm a qualified lines and it doesnt matter what league your in you are there to Assist the refs for pushes, late tackles etc so sometimes it can be lack of information in what the ref has told the linesman

just wandered if every team where gonna play this year will have a 12th player!

grrrrrrrr

so annoying! :SM_carton:

I've been reading all the posts this week on the topic and a lot of issues that were raised I agree with but i think the words Speedy used in his original post are the key here 12th player . We have played 6 games this season and 3 of the teams have had a 12th man lino.

I totally agree that its a difficult job and a thankless task at times but I'm not talking about one of the subs doing a poor job at it either through lack of knowledge or concentration , I'm talking about the 12th man lino that flag goes up on every single call of his defenders and will try everything to gain an advantage for his team whether that be trying to sway the ref on a penalty call or chalking off a perfectly good goal , like I've said 6 games and 3 have been ruined by the 12th man.

I honestly believe they don't see it as cheating , just like when you playing and try and get away with stretching the laws to gain an advantage and maybe their right but to your original post Speedy my god after training all week and all the effort to get the pitch and team ready for a game of football on a Saturday yes its very very annoying !!!! grrrrrrrrr :SM_carton:

well said james s, im also a qualified refs assistant and i would of put my flag up if there was an arm in the back of someone, if the ref saw it or not it needs to be brought to his attention, not every1 who does the thankless task on a sat afternoon is qualified but at least someones doing it

i also agree with gwinear no.10 that some of the people that do it try and help their team out but at the end of the day, youve got to beat the 11 men on the pitch not someone holding a flag, most refs will notice a flag happy lino and use common sense, because its up to ref if he blows for the offside or not

Guest magician

having read all of these posts i agree with alot of things that have been said i myself am i regular linesman for my team obviously not thru choice but nonetheless i would do it for my team and had a striker get agro with me last week for constant flagging what he failed to realise was he was always standing offside and trying to play off the backline which he just wasnt capable of doing and i felt that the constant moaning of the team in general ruined the game. i fully understand the frustrations of being flagged offside as a striker i recently accused my best friend of being a cheat for flagging me offside during a recent friendly between my saturday side and sunday side. its in the nature of the frustrated strikers to complain about offside decisions and a couple weeks back i took the flag for the opposing team and rightfully and honestly denied my own team a goal for offside and still found myself being called a cheat for making a correct decision later in that game and would here by like to go on record of saying that i wouldnt dream of cheating because if u cant win a game fairly then y bother playing at all