Cornwall Football Forum

Senior football in Camborne/Redruth

Is there a gradual interest for Senior football in the Rugby stronghold of Camborne/Redruth

The latest club with aspirations is Storm F.C. who have just appointed Andy Tasker as manager for this ambition.

Although Broadlane (Illogan) appeared in the The Old Cornwall senior League in the 1950's it was not until 1964-65 that the Camborne School of Mines opened up in the Cornwall Combination League but with disaterous effects pulling out after 5 games.

Since then

1965-66 Illogan RBL

1983-04 Holman S.C. (twice)_

1990-00 Troon

2006-07 St.Day

2008-09 Portreath

and hopefully Troon appearing next season for the second time

Your also forgetting Carharrack played Combination League from 1970 - 1977 but had to withdraw when a farmer took away the pitch. Moved to our current ground. We were the first club to win the Mining League Treble. Rejected twice by the Combo in 98 and 99 (yes I'm still bitter) due to to clubs wanting to keep the whipping boys Ludgvan in the league. We are now looking to get a team capable of getting back into Senior football once again. We certainly have the facilities and ground having already had the ground passed for Combination football.

i agree with you pat, theres teams that are in the lower mining leagues such as west cornwall and titains, also in mining league 1 with teams like Storm, and Troon which have potiental if the money is presented in the right direction. With regards to the Spice and Four Lanes link up that will be a team to watch, not forgetting Carharrack which has in my opinion one of the best picthes and facilities in the area and deserve to be up in the senior football level

Two Titans of the building trade, artists of roofing and cognoscenti of football bestride the Kerrier area like twin Colossus-es.....the revered Matthew Harris and Paul Caddy. Even thinking about football in the murky depths of Tuckingmill without the illumination of their respective genius-es is like imagining tin mining without Trevithick or Davy, or the Premiership without Wenger and Ferguson. My only surprise, given this repository of shining talent, is that neither Troon nor Holmans are in the Premiership.....yet.

It's a matter of time. :c:

Although on one hand it's great that senior football is more accessible in the Camborne/Redruth area it is also leading to the headache for the senior clubs that is more teams means more choice for players.

Personally in a very selfish point of view on behalf of Holmans i would rather we only had ourselves and Illogan still in the combo league in the Camborne area as it becomes increasingly more difficult to attract players of a senior standard and an increase in senior teams will make it more difficult for any side to mount a challenge with a strong group of local players.

Illogan have had great success recently winning the combo 2 years ago but im sure they would rather have less teams locally now as since their league triumph Portreath and if reports are true this coming season Troon have entered the league. With the possibility of Storm next year can the local area handle 3 new senior sides in 3 years?

I am a traditionalist and like clubs to represent their Town ,Village or area by name so what is the derivation behind STORM FC?

eg Spice of Life . Ugh!

I remember a heated discussion at a Mining League AGM many years ago when the late Gerald Penberthy was proposing not to add Dodgems to St.Ives FC

i know both camborne and redruth are big rugby areas well camborne was :D

but i have always felt that both should have a senior football side called camborne town or redruth town . i have played combo for both illogan and portreath but to be honest i would of rather played senior football for a team called redruth im sure a lot of camborne lads feel the same and would rather play for a team called camborne rather than holmans troon or storm . its a shame no one has really give it a go . although darren lewarne has kept redruth utd going for years but obviously in junior football.

i feel their is enough players in camborne and redruth to have 4 to 5 senior teams ,u just have to look at the talent in this area, last year illogan and holmans both came in top 6 of combo ,portreath won everything in junior football ,and with st day bringing in every tom **** and harry us smaller clubs could pick up couple of players from this :D

Er, I don't think you should call St Day's new signings Dicks, Cloughy, especially after you were on the phone to them all last week. Nor Toms. If you listen to The Bill that's what the Met Police call tattooed prostitutes, apparently.That's not very nice.

Holmans top six ? Sure you aren't thinking of St Just ? We also wear green. I know the Tinners used to have a few Camborne players but last year they played entirely Penwith players and went up ekeven places, just over half a league. You're reading the paper upside down again, just like my bathroom tiles and shower tray, the stand at St Just!

Troon for the Combo !!! :yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo: