Cornwall Football Forum

Another Nail in the Radio Cornwall Coffin

Common Tater would you care to expand. Its a shame, I always used to enjoy comming out of Home Park, crossing the Tamar Bridge whilst tuning into the Sports Hour to hear the voices of the old school reporters talking about cornish football matches.

Now I get increasing frustrated of spending a hour driving back, having to constantly hear about Pirates, All Blacks and Truro City in rotation. ( Before anyone says anything I proud of what they are trying to achive)

Im a Cornish sports supporter and will like to hear more about whats else is going on in cornish sports apart from the Big 3!

Can't say any more, not really my place; but I would LOVE to know how the audience ratings are shaping up. Last season's changes were made in order to increase the Saturday afternoon audience. I don't know ANYone who used to listen regularly who thinks the programme was better last season than in the previous about twenty years, and a lot of them don't listen any more, or just listen to the last half hour. I would eat my underpants if the audience has increased - and I wouldn't believe the BBC if they told me they had!

Have to agree with ChownUk, I used alway listen in on the way to games but some twerp in their infinite wisdom moved the slot too later so all the footballers and officials were at the grounds and unable to listen in, and then last season the program was so poor that I now do not even bother to listen whilst on my way home from games. It really is a sad loss.

I would just add that the coverage of cricket on a Saturday afternoon is now down to the minimum they can get away with. no reports from the premier league grounds, just the basic scores- once an hour. and as for the Sunday morning 8.45 am sports slot, well, that's hopeless. you just get told who beat or drew with whom, no actual scores.

Again very sad.

Guest Peppermint

It is very sad what is happening to Radio Cornwall [which is funded by us the licence payers] and they seem to be able to do whatever they like. The listeners are seemingly powerless to do anything about it.

I know a good deal of listeners who follow cricket have complained but nothing happens. David Bray is correct the cricket followers in the County have been treated very badly and visiting the grounds in the Premier League I am told that all the people miss their live half hourly reports. I personally miss giving those reports but no doubt the powers that be will continue to ride roughshod over the football followers as well as cricket supporters.

Ken Reed, like me, is now doing some reports for Atlantic FM but unfortunately they have to obtain advertising to pay for the programmes and they are more limited in their sports coverage. They do not have the luxury of the money from us poor suckers - the licence payers to fund their indulgences.

I am sure it is difficult for Dave Deacon, who does an excellent job, to comment without causing himself problems.

It is a very sad state of affairs and I am sure all fair minded Forum users are unhappy with this situation.

We have now moved into what one politician has described as the "post-democratic era", meaning that Government institutions and their offshoots take no notice of public opinion. They "consult" sometimes: "shall we have a Unitary Authority?"; "shall we have a North West Regional Assembly?" Emphatically "NO!" in both cases so they go ahead anyway. Similarly, you can tell the Beeb as often as you like that something they are doing is wrong but they don't take any notice because they know better. They certainly don't take any notice of comments on forums like this "because most of the contributors are anonymous"; but they haven't taken any notice of the many letters of complaint received last season, nor of their (former) team of vastly experienced local sports reporters - I immodestly include myself amongst them - who have repeatedly told the new presenter that the programme has become unpopular and is quite simply wrong for Cornwall. She and her managers just won't listen, or daren't go against instructions from on high. They can't grasp that Cornwall isn't like the rest of the country. When local stations sprang up all round the country, most had very senior sport - football and/or rugby - already being played in their area so it was natural for them to focus on them and their new audience knew no different. When Jerry Clarke and Justin Leigh started the local sports programme there WAS no top level sport in Cornwall so they covered everything and anything. I introduced the inclusion of Junior football results. We all felt proud to be involved in a real, local, grass-roots COMMUNITY programme. We also used to give out the classified results. Every soccer fan in Cornwall follows a League club somewhere as well as their local side, so we catered for everyone. That's been blown away by Corporatism. Radio Cornwall was told to mould its sports coverage to fit the rest of the local BBC stations: a "one size fits all" approach - cover just the main 3 or 4 games in the area, so goodbye to a good, wide-based, top-to-bottom sports programme. My worry is that as the audience figure falls away, as surely it must have, they will conclude not that they have naused it up but that there is no longer a need for a dedicated sports programme!

Well it would appear that word has got out somewhere, but just to confirm things and kill any other speculation - I have stepped down from contributing to the BBC Radio Cornwall Sports programme.

May I just say many, many thanks to all those people that have helped me over the years along with all those that talked to me on air, and latterly you Cornish football fanatics that kept providing me with results texts, etc.

It's been an absolute gas being able to promote the local game through the means of local radio, but things change and sometimes you have to know when to move on.

I'm moving on to concentrate on my CORNISH SOCCER publications, as well as the CORNISH SOCCER website - up to date information as well as local football personalities comments to be included. So still be prepared to be interviewed!!! :c:

Thanks

Dave Deacon

Guest Sport Lover

Radio Cornwall's coverage cant be too bad this is how they describe it

"Emma presents BBC Cornwall's successful Saturday programme bringing you all the sporting action as it happens. With a dedicated team of reporters providing even more live football and rugby commentary it's essential listening for sports fans in Cornwall."

Sounds pretty good to me (tongue in check)

Radio Cornwall's coverage cant be too bad this is how they describe it

"Emma presents BBC Cornwall's successful Saturday programme bringing you all the sporting action as it happens. With a dedicated team of reporters providing even more live football and rugby commentary it's essential listening for sports fans in Cornwall."

Sounds pretty good to me (tongue in check)

Typing error, surely, Sport Lover. Should be a v instead of the first s in "presents".

Oh dear. It would be interesting to know what market research was done for the BBC to come up with this remarkable decision.

I don't blame Dave Deacon for giving the Beeb a miss as all he gets is an ear bashing from the rest of us.

Local sport for local people my eye.

May I reiterate what I said on this forum some time ago. The good work on Saturday Sports which took years to perfect (Tom is the best to tell us what they went through) has been blown away in just one season.

Dave - I understand fully your reasons and wish you the very best of luck in whatever you do.

Maybe now the BEEB will listen! Somehow though, I don't think so.

I know I certainly tried hard enough as a former sports reporter and even as a licence payer to get the message through and got bombed because presumably they didn't like what I was saying. I believe that Cornish Sport should encompass the whole of Cornwall from St Just to Millbrook and The Lizard to Bude and everything in between, the BEEB obviously don't.

The football followers of Cornwall are the only ones to suffer and the BEEB certainly don't seem to care too much about you.

Would the last one to leave please switch off the light.

Guest Peppermint

Very sorry to hear the news about your departure Dave.

Thanks for all your hard work over the years and it is certainly another very large nail in the Radio Cornwall coffin.

We will have to get used to hearing more music on a Saturday afternoon and probably more rugby and not very much football.

now now now!!! im getting fed up with the jokers on radio cornwall not the loveables like dave and trusty lol... i like to listen 2 hear the shock results of the day who the top teams are etc and who won and lost in my league but if radio cornwall continues to destroy a young mans habits and enjoyment where are these fools getting away with it.. how do u set up your own radio station or a couples hours coverage during the day etc .. please reply cause this has 2 b sorted for cornwall sake... or lets have are own cornwall football not rugby cause people enjoy differnt sports .. thank you

I must admit, Jamie C, it did occur to me after I left the programme that it might be possible to set something up. After all, Radio St Austell appeared, so why not a County-wide sports station on a Saturday afternoon only? Initial start-up costs would be a problem: transmitting gear, licence, a satellite van, other outside broadcasting kit, that sort of thing, though I thought the right people ought to be able to generate enough advertising to at least pay for a four or five hour Saturday afternoon broadcast. It would take someone with cash or the knowledge about how to raise it, plus the time to put into it to make it happen. Don't look at me! I believe Radio St Austell operates out of St Austell Rugby Club - you'd not need a very big room to use as a studio as it would be almost all outside broadcasting.

There might even be an opening for Pirate or Atlantic. I don't know ANYthing about how they're funded and how funding is tied in with licences, but I'd have thought that if someone went to their owners and had all the advertising in place to make it commercially worthwhile, they might be able to say "let's have so many hours on a Saturday afternoon for Sport, here's the promised advertising revenue, how about it?" Obviously the terms of their franchises with regards to how much music is broadcast, etc., would come into it.

Any business would have to consider a plan put to them that would increase revenue, though! Wouldn't it?

Pipe dreams, surely!

Just a thought but....how many businesses or businessmen who sponsor or support local clubs also use local radio for advertising...and could they not use their influence when negotiating advertising with the station to request that a saturday local football slot be provided during the season cause that would reach more of their target audience? Hell...they would surely get a better audience figure on a Saturday afternoon for such a programme than they currently do for people listening to music fed to them by a computer? and audience ratings are more crucial to commercial stations than the beeb. I know none of this would concern Radio Cornwall but might influence Pirate or Atlantic to do more.

Guest crosser

correct me if i'm wrong but didn't pirate used to cover the old SWL for a few seasons must have been mid to late 90's i would have thought

What is BBC Radio Cornwall going to produce then? Rugby obviously, so I expect a complete Pirates match to be covered every Saturday. Truro City who are way below the football league so would they be entitled to have a match done live?.

Thats it I suppose. I do not feel sorry for the girl presenter it is her fault that she is to be fair quite clueless about sport. She does no background checking or reaserach about anything in sport. She laughs and giggles, but the BBC don't seem to realise that she is the problem, not the solution. To the best of knowledge Dave Deacon did not get paid for doing his job so for him leaving financially will be no loss to him. Only the fact that his hard work in bringing local football to the masses has been wasted.

So for the Cornish masses tune in to anything but BBC Radio Cornwall. I expect the fat cats will bag a nice big bonus for this nonsense.