Cornwall Football Forum

Well rude. But keeping hold of players means transfer fees which means ur hurting the club or player financially dependent on who pays the fee and as for paper work. Transfers are paper work. The players are going to just not play. And the club still gonna fold. 

But great sugesstion dummy

On 08/11/2017 at 23:16, Tempo said:

Lots of loyalty about, that loyalty just isn't related to clubs. It is to managers or other players/friends etc

Tempo I think your club seems to be the exception , must be the hard work you and your club put in , are most of your squad local ? 

9 hours ago, stevieb said:

Tempo I think your club seems to be the exception , must be the hard work you and your club put in , are most of your squad local ? 

Surprisingly, no. Most of the reserve players are from the Falmouth area. The club works incredibly hard. 

I guess the fact we have had a similar squad for three years now stems from the loyalty from me and Nick.

Nick's been at the club for 26 years or longer, I can't quite remember now. Whereas I am in my 7th season with the club now, third as manager, and I'm only 22, almost 23. I would assume though that if there were a manager change in either side that the likelihood is there would be a change in personnel on the pitch, depending who came in to manage.

i think that's just how football is now. It's not even just that players are loyal to managers, it's that when a new manager comes they're like to bring in a lot of their own players. Leaving a lot of the old ones out.

Certainly, when I took over, some of the old guard didn't like the change in the side and left, so that's certainly a factor too.

6 hours ago, Tempo said:

Surprisingly, no. Most of the reserve players are from the Falmouth area. The club works incredibly hard. 

I guess the fact we have had a similar squad for three years now stems from the loyalty from me and Nick.

Nick's been at the club for 26 years or longer, I can't quite remember now. Whereas I am in my 7th season with the club now, third as manager, and I'm only 22, almost 23. I would assume though that if there were a manager change in either side that the likelihood is there would be a change in personnel on the pitch, depending who came in to manage.

i think that's just how football is now. It's not even just that players are loyal to managers, it's that when a new manager comes they're like to bring in a lot of their own players. Leaving a lot of the old ones out.

Certainly, when I took over, some of the old guard didn't like the change in the side and left, so that's certainly a factor too.

Tempo Falmouth is a big catchment area and you are not that far away , it wasn't meant as a dig , agree players play for managers and some do move around but you seem settled and your club has been around for years  credit to all at your club .

On 10/11/2017 at 11:08, skinner said:

THE LEAGUE SHOULD HAVE LEFT MABE PLAY IN THE LEAGUE THAT THERE 2ND TEAM WAS  .BUT MADE THEM TAKE  1ST TEAMS PLACE

This is  a very good point which has probably contributed to Mabe folding, when all the first team left for Fal Town the reserves ended up in a league way above their standard, did they get disillusioned and lose interest getting beaten heavily every week.? 

Perhaps the league should discuss giving clubs  the option of which league to play in when the "first team" quit. Better to retain them in a lower league than lose two teams maybe?

1 hour ago, golong said:

can't be due to lack of players?! must be an underlying issue within the club...

I've heard 3rd team players won't step up and play for the 2nd team and that's the reason the 2nds couldn't raise a side v perran

Illogan have had 3 teams for a very long time.there was 3 teams when I played for them in the 1980s South western league combo league and mining league. Wendron have 4 teams but that is because of their many youth teams like st day and Helston and yes I know so do Illogan

Nothing wrong with having more than 3 teams as long as you can facilitate them. As the previous poster said, a lot of players that play youth at the club come in and play for the 4th/3rd teams, and players on their way down play for them. This doesn't take players away from other sides. 

The Illogan issue to me sounded like they wouldn't make the step to the seconds, not necessarily an issue with stepping up a level. Hope they sort themselves out - great club. 

I don't think there is a sole reason for a decline in players, there are many contributing factors and pointing the finger at travel is wrong, the decline is a national issue - not just Cornish.  Personally, I think it's just how the world is now. People have other commitments with Saturday work, families and changing technology. People can access games world wide on a Saturday afternoon with out leaving the toilet. It's a decline in spectators as well as players. I remember the smallest of villages getting big crowds out on Saturday afternoons. Now you're  lucky if a man and his dog walk past. Grassroots football is an issue nationally at all levels and at all positions of a club. Chairman, managers, players, spectators, groundsmen, kit washers...

3 hours ago, WendronOfficial said:

Nothing wrong with having more than 3 teams as long as you can facilitate them. As the previous poster said, a lot of players that play youth at the club come in and play for the 4th/3rd teams, and players on their way down play for them. This doesn't take players away from other sides. 

The Illogan issue to me sounded like they wouldn't make the step to the seconds, not necessarily an issue with stepping up a level. Hope they sort themselves out - great club. 

I don't think there is a sole reason for a decline in players, there are many contributing factors and pointing the finger at travel is wrong, the decline is a national issue - not just Cornish.  Personally, I think it's just how the world is now. People have other commitments with Saturday work, families and changing technology. People can access games world wide on a Saturday afternoon with out leaving the toilet. It's a decline in spectators as well as players. I remember the smallest of villages getting big crowds out on Saturday afternoons. Now you're  lucky if a man and his dog walk past. Grassroots football is an issue nationally at all levels and at all positions of a club. Chairman, managers, players, spectators, groundsmen, kit washers...

Well said :thumbsup:

On 11/11/2017 at 18:52, zebedee said:

Sadly FA rules don't allow that .

If I remember correctly, the league allowed this when Penryn Athletic 4ths folded in preseason 2011-12. The new 3rd team moved down to trelawny 3, I believe that they had to make their case to the league.

This without doubt have been a better scenario for Mabe whilst they were effectively rebuilding their club.

7 hours ago, CRD said:

If I remember correctly, the league allowed this when Penryn Athletic 4ths folded in preseason 2011-12. The new 3rd team moved down to trelawny 3, I believe that they had to make their case to the league.

This without doubt have been a better scenario for Mabe whilst they were effectively rebuilding their club.

The decision of the League at the time was that Penryn 4th's in Division 3 was the side that should be withdrawn and not the higher placed 3rd team.  Penryn played this very cleverly (no I'm not going to go into details) appealed to the CCFA, won their case and the 4ths became the 3rds in Division 3.  These circumstances weren't covered in League Rules at the time hower the wording in the current Rule 14d was introduced for 2012-13.  

The Trelawny League has created a big gap in terms of reserves and senior teams and whilst I can’t speak for Illogan they have a similar issue to what we have at Holmans where we have a reserve side playing effectively 4 divisions below the next team up.

reserve players are reluctant to make the step up as they view it as a big step (although to be honest the way we are playing probably not) but it’s difficult to create a competition for places if you know that if you drop a player out the first team squad they would probably bugger off rather then drop 4 leagues

this is not a Trelawny League bash but if you take into account 10 years ago we had a side in combo and one in div 1 of FHFL & one in div 1 of Mining understandably competition for places was better and players didn’t mind interchanging between sides as it wasn’t deemed such a drop or as big a challenge to step up

Theirs also also other factors of player / club loyalty and the issue of players migrating with certain managers but will save that discussion for when I have a spare 3 hours

A bug bear i’ve found us that as I’ve got older, I’ve picked up more responsibilities... some of these responsibilities nag a lot.

I get an earful if a game gets called off last minute because it’s a waste of a day. 

I’m also reminded often that I could always be doing something else rather than sat on a bench (the things to do list seems to grow exponentially when I’m not home). Therefore, I question whether anything less than 60mins is worth the aggro.

Same with travelling. Especially in the lower leagues when you’re playing new teams of superstars... you again question what would be the better use of time? Massaging these teams ego’s or painting the shed? 

I’m on the verge of packing it in for most of the reasons above. At the ripe age of 32 and having never achieved a high standard of football, I find myself making way for the kids more often. This isn’t a bad thing for football (though I do remember it being harder to break into a side as a youth rather than a formality). But less game time is less justifiable to offset my other commitments. 

As as a note, I agree with the notion of players not being unregistered at the end of a season. It works in cricket... rules can be changed

10 hours ago, Laity_Boy said:

I’m also reminded often that I could always be doing something else rather than sat on a bench (the things to do list seems to grow exponentially when I’m not home). Therefore, I question whether anything less than 60mins is worth the aggro.

Time on the bench is an issue for all of us at this level.

I'm still not convinced that 5 substitutes and repeated substitutions actually increases participation or interest.

I fully accept they are useful at times but overall I think they just result in more players NOT getting 90 minutes and, unless fitness is an issue, the vast majority of players want a full game.

It is not very appealing to marginal players to be facing a few minutes each half week in week out. Three repeatable subs at this level would seem adequate to me.

20 hours ago, Laity_Boy said:

A bug bear i’ve found us that as I’ve got older, I’ve picked up more responsibilities... some of these responsibilities nag a lot.

I get an earful if a game gets called off last minute because it’s a waste of a day. 

Same with travelling. Especially in the lower leagues when you’re playing new teams of superstars... you again question what would be the better use of time? Massaging these teams ego’s or painting the shed? 

I’m on the verge of packing it in for most of the reasons above. At the ripe age of 32 and having never achieved a high standard of football, I find myself making way for the kids more often. This isn’t a bad thing for football (though I do remember it being harder to break into a side as a youth rather than a formality). But less game time is less justifiable to offset my other commitments. 

As as a note, I agree with the notion of players not being unregistered at the end of a season. It works in cricket... rules can be changed

That's called growing up ....lol

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:37, jolzy10 said:

I'm sure the lads at Trispen would appreciate that, knowing most of them I can't imagine they'd want to finish so early!!! 

Start pre season early...!!!!:yahoo: