Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread

Recommended Posts

Can you post your results, goal scorers and attendances on this thread please

Cornwall Combination League

28th Feb 2009 (2:30pm)

FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES (Bryn Wheeler 2, Chris Peck) 3-2 MULLION (Chris Lawrence, Darren Meagor )

Att - 20

HAYLE RESERVES (Nick Cook, Andy Withers) 2-6 PENZANCE RESERVES (Glen Squires 2, Gary Matthews, Wade Brown, Ashley Thomas, Tom Hosking)

Att - 44


Att - 20


Att - 29

LUDGVAN 0-3 ST DAY (Will Harvey, Nathan Taylor, Perran Cooke)

Att - 30

PORTREATH (Tom Blaber) 1-0 ST JUST

Att - 20


Att - 15

ST IVES TOWN (Matthew Thomas) 1-2 ST AGNES (Dan O'Toole, Tom Benny)

Att - 25

League Cup Q-F Replay

(2:00pm Extra Time and Penalties)

PORTHLEVEN RESERVES 0-6 PERRANWELL (Jake Harvey 2, TJ Wilson 2, Steve Brewer, Adam Selly)

Att - 60

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Helston Patriot

Helston 2 Wendron 0

1-0 HT




4 CLEAN SHEETS OUT OF 5... GET ON :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ludgvan 0 - 3 st day this was a good game played in good spirits, the Ludgvan team defended well throughout the game with The oldest veteran in combo still doing a sterling job marshalling all the youngsters. When i satrted playing in Cornwall 25 years ago i played with John and he was old then amazing he's still going and still doing a cracking job.

The game itself was very tight until Will hit a 25 yard volley into the ludgvan net and with St day having all the play in the first half and Paul not having much to do it was a well deserved lead at half time. The second half was much of the same with St Day having lots of chances easily breaking down the stubborn Ludgvan defence but not making it count either through good saves, blocks and scramberling defence and a miss not mentioning names from 1 yard out with no keeper in sight it looked like a 1 - 0 win for st day. The breakthrough came with about 10 mins to go to make it two and Perran rounding it off with a good header for a confidence boosting win with a clean sheet to go with it....

Defence solid today with me back in the middle with Garthy, but saying that the whole team defended well when we had too.

well done st day this should make the board a bit more happy!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ludgvan 0-3 St Day

This was a potential 6 pointer. With Ludgvan seemingly on the up and St Day having not won a game for four matches it was always going to be a tight game with neither side wanting to come off second best.

It was St Day who started the game the brightest, putting the Ludgvan defence under pressure from the very start. The Ludgvan defence stood firm and with the guidance of John Matthews at the back they were very well organised and disciplined. Although St Day had most of the possession they didn’t really create a clear shot at goal until the 25 min when some good work by the returning Ricky smith turned his marker to give himself enough space to cross the ball for Perran Cooke to head down towards the goal only for the keeper to gather the ball. The game was heading for 0-0 at half time when a corner from Ricky Smith was only headed to the edge of the box where Will Harvey showed superb technique to keep the ball down and fired in an unstoppable volley that flew into the back of the net. It was Will Harvey’s first goal for nearly 18 months. HT 0-1

The second half was much the same as the first with St Day pressing the Ludgvan defence from start. Ludgvan started to come into the game and created some chances but will little firepower up front they rarely troubled the ageing St Day defence. Ludgvan continued to work hard and carved out an opportunity when a corner was only half cleared by St Day, a Ludgvan player brought the ball down and fired in a shot from fully 30yards that dipped and swerved on its way towards the St Day goal but St Day’s No1 gathered the ball well to his left. On 70mins Ludgvan nearly capitalised on a mix up in the St Day defence following a long punt up field by the Ludgvan keeper, Gareth Jones and Darren Buckley were taken by surprise when the ball appeared to catch the wind and travel further than anticipated, Darren tried to head the ball but could only manage to flick it on to a Ludgvan player who found himself one on one with the keeper. Instead of shooting he opted to try to go round the keeper but St Day’s No1 got a toe in to push the ball out for a corner. St Day should have been two up after some great work by Perran Cooke on the wing pulled the ball back for Ricky Smith who amazingly fired the ball over from three (yes 3) yards out. The game was effectively won with 5mins to go when Nathan Taylor fired home from 10yards when the Perran Cooke again worked the ball to the bye line and cut it back for him to shoot. The game was rounded off for St Day when a corner by Ricky Smith found Perran Cooke free in the box and he rose like a salmon to head in from 6yards. FT 0-3.

St Day were more solid today and with a bit more team spirit were good for their 0-3 win and a much needed three points. Ludgvan are a much improved side and I am sure they will start to pick up points soon; they did not give up and battled right to the end. I would like to wish both sides the best of lick for the rest of the season.

Ref watch. Probably the easiest game he will have reffed in a while. However he was superb 10/10 His name: Andre “ The great”

Attandance: 30 ish (including the three men who watched from the comfort of the balcony)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Illogan 2 - 0 Newquay

Newquay travelled to Oxland Park with 4 regular players missing and knew that they'd be up against a stern test with high-flying Illogan scoring plenty of goals and having a very good defensive record.

Newquay played three youngsters in the middle of midfield and were soon given a warning of what to expect, Illogan forced a corner and James Merrikin had to make an excellent fingertip save after a perfectly executed volley looked destined for the back of the net. Within a matter of moment the Newquay goal was under seige, Merrkin had to make another block, tipping a shot onto the crossbar and then punching clear after a first time shot on goal. Despite all of the pressure on the Newquay goal, a combination of poor Illogn finishing and some last-ditch defending by the Newquay back three of Weller, Morris and Hanley meant that Newquay were at least competiting against an excellent Illogan side.

Illogan had a goal ruled out when a right-wing free-kick was headed home by Andy Cowper, although the assistant had raised his flag long before the ball was in the back of the net. Newquay were equally frustrated by the offside flag as a couple of very close calls went in favour of the home defence - with Orrin Crowle clear through on goal he was halted by a late flag. Illogan continued to cause a threat on the left hand side, with midfielder Bray sitting deep and pulling the strings from midfield, Cowper was guilty of wasting a couple of good chances, although credit to the striker for working hard to create himself an opportunity. Tom Taylor had a shot blocked in the goalmouth and David Rabone tried his luck from 25 yards and his powerful strike went wide of the upright. Crowle and Rabone worked hard to pressure the Illogan defence, who seemed keen to pass the ball around and at times put themselves under pressure. However, with Illogan captain Aaron Clarke marshalling the home defence, Newquay were always going to find it hard to make the breakthrough. James Merrikin worked hard to protect his goal and the 0-0 scoreline at half-time, combined with Newquay's resilience, frustrated Illogan.

Newquay managed to get a greater share of possession early on in the second half and looked to carve out an opening. With the match evenly poised, it was going to take something significant to change the scoreline. Despite all of the hard defensive work and excellent goalkeeping in the opening hour, Newquay were undone by a soft goal. Indecision at the back was punished when Cowper manager to head the ball over Merrikin and into the net. The relief for the Illogan players was clear as they looked frustrated by the lack of an opening goal. Although Newquay did their best to get back into the game, they had very little in terms of clear-cut opportunities, although Crowle provided a bit of entertainment, his dribble and turn outdoing left-back Clarke, who got himself into a tangle and took a tumble in the corner.

With fifteen minutes left, another decisive pass from Bray found Cowper, who timed his run perfectly and beat both the defender and goalkeeper to the ball, clipping neatly into the far corner of the net to give Illogan breating space. Illogan looked to press home the advantage and found Merrikin in fine form, an outstanding double save at the end kept the scoreline reasonable.

Newquay will be proud of the effort that their young side put in and will be pleased to have competed for a significant part of the match despite the quality of the Illogan side being evident. Illogan take another three points in their quest for the title, with all the title talk relating to Perranporth and Perranwell, all teams have to play each other again and based on the performance today Illogan looked like a side more than capable of causing a surprise.

Man of the Match - Despite excellent performances from Cowper and Clarke, Merrikin in the Newquay goal made a handful of oustanding saves to keep the scoreline respectable.

Attedance - 24 in the stand, 5 Holmans VIPs and 4 Illogan wags sat in the home dugout!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bray was outstanding, everything move with any sort of purpose seemed to start from him. Having a holding midfielder of that quality sitting in front of the back four makes the difference.

Credit to the young Newquay midfield, it was the first time the three lads had played together and it was clear they found it really difficult, however, for the first hour or so they held their own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Portreath 1 St Just 0.

Like our Senior Cup tie earlier in the season, not a great crowd-pleaser today. No complaints about the result, which is not such a surprise in view of Portreath's better performance record at home and the fact that St Just have only won once away, at the first club over which they have performed a neat six-point double this season, Penzance. :D

Well taken goal by Tom Blaber, though there were questions about whether it was onside. Stefan Smith could have levelled late on, but poked the chance wide after Britton had parried a Neil Curnoe shot. Excellent early 60-yard run by James Reynolds deserved a home goal. Portreath defence generally was very sound todfay, with a commanding centre-half and experienced, solid defending from full-back Wardy.

St Just had two men suspended, three unavailable and a bare eleven, including one hobbling,who bravely stayed on for 90 minutes. Sub John Curnow, aged 49, the St Just linesman, was considered for selection, but decided not to come on as alternative linesman Isaac Rosenberg had burst his belt while celebrating for the whole of the last week and there was every chance of liver failure and his trousers falling down if he had broken into a jog with the flag. :smiley20::smiley20:

Three matches against Portreath have all gone the way of the home side. Story of the season. St Just now face some easy games against Illogan, Perranwell twice and Perranporth twice !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...