Cornwall Football Forum

Referees at this afternoon's Premier League games

Guest Peppermint

Guest Peppermint

Whilst obviously not supporting any of the teams involved this afternoon if I had been a Chelsea or Sunderland supporter I would have been very upset with Howard Webb and Mike Riley.

In the Newcastle v Sunderland game Webb gave the home team a penalty for absolutely nothing and so denied Sunderland not only the double over their local rivals but two vital points.

Then in the later game Lampard played the ball and got a red card but Gerrard should have got a yellow earlier in the match and then when he got a yellow later that would have meant he was sent off.

At different ends of the table two poor performances have cost two clubs dear!!!!

Lampard paid the penalty for going in with his studs first, it was dangerous even if he got to the ball 1st. Maybe a yellow would have done, but thats how legs are broken. (See a couple of seasons ago.)

The Boswinga assault was a straight red.

Chelsea were shockingly bad and Liverpool deserved to win.

Not sure if it will change where prem will go though.

Guest mauricio

i watched both games and both decisions were shocking....

Lampard sent off was really harsh...he was even laughing about it. hopefully chelsea will appeal and

he wont be suspended.

Chelseas record against the other title contenders is really bad... can't remember beeing that bad when Mourinho was the manager.

Anyway...i'm gutted! :wacko:

I wonder if Scolari will still be there next season.

More importantly will Abramovich be bothered with it anymore after another season of no trophies and football that is not a lot better on the eye than when the Special One (at least he won the pots with his 'functional' football) was in charge?

As Isaac is hiding I'd better put the Chelsea perspective. Chelsea will appeal the Lampard red card and it will be rescinded. Mike Riley is a useless ref and has been for 5 seasons. Gives anything outside the box but bottles it inside. Totally pathetic and should be shown the door just like that other useless ****, Poll.

For all those who say Gerrard isn't a diver, look again!

Didn't think Chelsea would ever score but a 0-0 would have been a decent result. Wasn't gonna happen with 10 men.

Scolari hasn't got a clue and as I've said before will be seen as a failure and got rid of.

Latest rumour from the Bridge .. wait for it ..

Zola & Clarke to be in charge next season.

Not sure if Zola has the experience but Clarke certainly has.

A very poor perfomance by the referee in the liverpool, chelsea game. Gerrard should of been sent off after a few bad challenges and then his attempt at impressing for the olympics with his dive. Lampard I believe should of been gone where other people think he shouldn't of. And how did bosingwa not go. It was disgusting and the assistant referee should've seen that. Very poor!

Guest Peppermint

I had forgotten about the karate kick from Boswinga - right in front of the assistant!

Obviously we have a lot more Liverpool and Chelsea supporters on the Forum but it would be interesting to hear from any Newcastle or especially Sunderland fans regarding the ridiculous penalty decision.

Finally do Sky cameras have to keep focussing on the idiot Ashley - what a complete prat - apparently he has not been for several weeks to St James Park.

Spot on, Baldy. Emabarrassing refereeing.

Lampard was unjustly treated but a goalless draw was the best we deserved, even without that. Wide players just not good enough, Drog and Anelka not motivated enough. If the first leg of the Euriopean Cup tie goes badly, I wonder whether Scolari might leave earlier ?

Boswinga......more of a shove with studs th :c: an a karate kick...very little harm done, really.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I agree the Refs and Assiatant Refs performances were as poor as Chelseas.

However, why is it when I/We complain about officials at a local level, we are told by some idiots to wind our necks and and leave the poor souls alone, yet everyone and his mother can moan because a game was on TV ?

Villa to win the title, although if ManUre can keep getting Pens for no reason, then it will only be heading back to the Theatre of Panto.

So judge are you seriously saying, straight faced an all, that Arteta's leg did not impeed Carricks run? Through non blinkered anti Man United eyes do you seriouly believe that was not a foul!?

FA are taking no action against Bosingwa for his studs in the back! Well done FA for really clamping down on things again, that'll teach 'em!!

If we really want to clamp down on diving then,in clear cut and blatant, cases like Steve Gerrards, Duff and Taylor yesterday the FA should be handing out 3 or more game bans. End of! Such a quality player like Gerrard it really winds me up to see someone like him do that. It will never be taken out of the game unless its treated harshly. Would he feel bad if the ref fell for it and he smashed in the resulting free kick, doubt it. Would he feel bad if he had to miss 3 or more vital games in the title run in, i suspect so!

Come off it, Carrick went down quicker than a Union St Pro, he left his leg there long enough that Van Der Sar could have caught him (and would still have got a Pen). It was the slightest of touches but that is how you win matches that you wouldn't score in if you played until Wadebridge and Saltash meet.

Gerrard is a true scouser, he will rob you as soon as look at you, he gets away with as much as most scousers too !

Bosingwa was obviously frustrated by the whole of the 2nd half and whilst it was a definate :SM_carton: you can sort of understand it. Lamps won the ball cleanly and was sent off, Cockneys always get robbed on Merseyside ! Gerrard in a very similar tackle, although mis-timed, gets away with it. Are the refs headsets linked straight to RAFA & FERGIE who can tell them they didn't see anything but perhaps they should give the home side the advantage, or the car they came in may be missing a few essentials before the shower is running hot.

Chelsea were awful, Scousers lucky, ManUre same old, and Villa are quietly getting on with it and entertaining too.

I agree the Refs and Assiatant Refs performances were as poor as Chelseas.

However, why is it when I/We complain about officials at a local level, we are told by some idiots to wind our necks and and leave the poor souls alone, yet everyone and his mother can moan because a game was on TV ?

Villa to win the title, although if ManUre can keep getting Pens for no reason, then it will only be heading back to the Theatre of Panto.

I largely agree with your post. However, although I spend time the same amount of time each Saturday shouting at the poor old ref (if we've got one in Mining 3) they have a thankless task. So many football players, professional and local, cheat. Some cheating is very good, and the poor ref gets caught out. Sometimes it's bad, and the culprit gets a yellow.

Ref's do need to be consistent. That will help. Look at Riley's position when the Lampard tackle went in. Directly behind Lampard, looking in-line as he lunges forward (away from the ref's position). Not a perfect (slow motion) side view that we all saw. And what follows......Alonso flying through the air as if shot, and landing in absolute agony. Will he ever play again??? Riley has seconds to make a decision, surrounded by all the other girls, sorry players, and from his angle, he thought it was a challenge worthy of a red card.

Or maybe Riley saw everything we did, and thought, "I know, I'll piss everybody off and risk making a fool of myself, be ridiculed in the press by sending off poor old Frank"? Nah, I thought not, he did what he thought was right at the time. If common sense prevails, the red card will be rescinded upon appeal.

Look at Shaun Wright-Philips on Saturday. After Delap's first crap challenge, he arches his back and cringes in agony as he starts to crash to the ground. Moments later, as he receives Delap's second boot, he's up off the floor in a jiffy, no pain, no cringing. What's that all about.

Footballers are basically a load of cheats. I have no sympathy with players in general. I think sometimes the fans (us lot) would do well to remember what we are watching, who is trying to out-do who, and remember that the ref's have to not only get the legitimate fouls right as we demand, but also spot the well hidden cheating that is there to con them into making a mistake. They will never be perfect.

John O'Shea appeals for a goal-kick after knocking the ball out for a clear corner. Cheat.

Lastly, for christ's sake, don't ask me to justify the Bosingwa "challenge" in the corner. It wasn't assault, hardly a kick, more of a push with his boot, but at LEAST a yellow I would guess!

Judge I know its not a Chelsea thing as some may suspect with the drivel that comes from yours and idiots fingertips as some Chelsea fans speak sense. But come on it was a clear foul. Not malicious in anyway shape or form but his trailing leg tripped him. He didnt leave his leg in there, he did try to stay on his feet. If that as in the middle of the pitch, foul or if it was a Penzance player on a Newquay player you would say definate penalty. But as its United and you are clearly worried the Blue bubble has burst you come along with this bags of bollocks.

Fair point with Bosingwa, bless him he must have been annoyed so lets just move on and not worry about it!

If it had been a Newquay forward, the defender would desrve to be taken out and shot, hung by his balls and made to eat his entrails before being show a red card.... as a fan of Newquay (and Chelsea) I reserve the right to be downright biased and will back my side to the hilt, just as I expect a true fan of any other club to be, just not at the expense of mine !

Guest The Bickland Bloke

How the hell did bosingwa get away with that?? :huh: linesman was looking straight at it and flagged the other way, i mean how thick can you get?? :angry: i think the lampard decision was a bit rash, but in no doubt, i'd have 2 say it should have been bosingwa :SM_carton: not lampard. :SM_carton_y: In bosingwas apoligie he said he had 'no intention of hurting benayoun' Of course he had bloody intention otherwise he wouldn't have done it. Prime example of very bad refereeing.

But we won anyway :thumbsup:

COMON THE REDS!!

The Bosignwa Tackle is a prime example of the ref and linesman not communicating enough, bosignwa should have got sent off. The Lino could have said how rash the tackle was but i expect he didnt want to because he was right infront of The Kop

Agree on that. He should have got sent off.

As a supporter of neither Chelsea or Liverpool, I have to say that 'Super Sunday' showing was one of the worst premier league games I have witnessed in years....

Liverpool weren't good at all, but Chelsea were absolutely dreadful...I thought they were dire against Man U but this was on another level...looked like they were happy with a point to stay in front of Liverpool...got what they deserved in the end!!! 0-0 would of been about right for the most painful 90 minutes I sat through

Lampard was, in my opinion, unlucky to be sent off, but would it of changed the result? It's easy to criticise refs who only get to see it once, where we have the luxury of seeng it several times, in slo-mo aswell. Chelsea wouldn't of scored if they were still playing now!!! A 0-0 draw at best if he stayed on!!! Bosingwa should have gone, but it was a push with his studs up, not what 'The Sun' described as a 'career threatening challenge'!!!

Gerrard should have gone for at least 2 yellows, great dive though!!!

Can't see any of these 2 challenging Man U on that performance, and on the last few performances they have been putting in.....

Guest Peppermint

The Bickland Bloke is correct the assistant referee flagged the wrong way after Boswinga's assault.

The Judge and the Green eyed Monster has reared his ugly head regarding his loathing of Manchester United - United boring Villa entertaining - last game a 0-0 draw I think!!!!!

Again - The Judge's attack on Carrick who is playing in midfield at the moment better than Lampard probably clouds his judgement.

Finally The Judge has become an Aston Villa fan and deserted the sinking ship at Stamford Bridge along with the Russian!!!!!

Guest Sport Lover

Would there be any chance of getting the refs point of view on the fung fu kick? I doubt it.

Football is becoming a sport that has officials that are a laughing stock because they are too afraid to introduce video refs.

Would there be any chance of getting the refs point of view on the fung fu kick? I doubt it.

Football is becoming a sport that has officials that are a laughing stock because they are too afraid to introduce video refs.

Have you dropped your contact lenses, or simply lost your marbles? Kung-Fu kick! Please take a look at the challenge again to see what you are talking about. If you look, Bosingwa basically places his foot on Benayoun's hip, then pushes forward (pushing Benayoun to the ground). It's not even a kick, let alone anything to do with Kung-Fu.

What he was thinking I have no idea. But some of the comments on here are as rash as his "foot shove"!

Benayoun comes out of it with some credit in my view, no theatricals looking as if he'd been hit by a 10 ton truck. And the look Drogba gives him......like WTF was that!! Brilliant.

If footballers stopped trying to cheat at EVERY opportunity, then the officials would have a little less to worry about. Take a leaf out of rugby, no arguing, and no cheating.

Sorry Peppermint, once a blue always a blue.... I'm sure some Shrek type scouser also said that !

Chelsea since birth and Newquay by good fortune, Loyal to the end. Having been a regular at the Bridge when Div 3 beckoned, some of us are happy with Champions League every year and a few minor cups and titles along the way.

Oh and Villa are by far the most entertaining side in the Prem this season and not a fancy dan amongst them.

Oh and Villa are by far the most entertaining side in the Prem this season and not a fancy dan amongst them.

As a United fan myself I would have to agree with you there Judgey

We are not playing well going forward compared to last year, due mainly to missing Ronaldo's 40+ goals for the season but we are rock solid at the back and thats good enough currently to nick the one goal victories.

Luckily our below par form is still too good for Chelsea and Liverpool but I must admit that I have been watching with interest what the Villa are doing, steadily getting points and it has to be said playing some very nice football along the way....

My concern is Fergie will probably unbalance the whole side to fit that fat scouser back in when he returns so potential for dropped points as he careers around the pitch chasing the ball like a schoolboy may give some of the chasing pack hope of glory :unsure:

Guest Sport Lover

Kung fu kick, high kick, shove in the back with his foot call it what you like but it was a red card and shows the lack of good officiating and lack of brains by the players