Cornwall Football Forum

Nine man Bodmin 0 Torpoint 2

Guest Uncle Albert

Guest Uncle Albert

Bodmin 0 Torpoint 2.

Goals from Gareth Jones (41) and Mike Roberts (52).

Danny O'Hagan (71) and Brinton Nute (82) sent off for Bodmin.

Bodmin's run of 15 successive league wins ended. Only second league defeat in 19 games.

Victory fully deserved by Torpoint, who were a completely different proposition to the side slaughtered by St Austell last week.

Full report, see www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/sport

I saw this game and thought that Torpoint were superb they never let Bodmin get a hold of the game, alright they had a couple of really good chances in the first half that they should have have scored from but equally said before Torpoint scored they too had at least one opportunity to open the scoreline. The second goal killed the game off and although Bodmin threatened they never really put Piper under any real sustained pressure, credit to Torpoint they kept their cool while Bodmin didn't and although Brinton Nute may have been a little unfortunate to see red O'Hagen wasnt.

I thought Torpoint were really first class today. As a Saltash United supporter, I watched the game as a neutral. Ian Stephens certainly motivated his team for this encounter. Bodmin Town were second best throughout the game.

I personally thought the officials had a good game and the two red cards were totally justified.

As for Darren Gilbert, nothing changes does it. It is certainly time for the CSPL to impliment the RESPECT CAMPAIGN.

how come wen someone says something to the officials they are disciplined but an official saying somthing to a player or worse a SPECTATOR nothing is said and its brushed under the carpet.

wednesday night when st austall visited the BIG linesman turned around to a spectator and told him where to go, then gilby said the same to him yesterday and gets his marching orders, I'm not saying that gilby shouldn't have been banished but respect must be given by everyone to everyone especially the paying public, i hope this now opens up a debate and people with power will look at this incident because in my job on building sites if i was to tell a member of public where to go i would be sacked. discipline should be across the board!

The last post was very interesting and if true, the linesman concerned should be disciplined.

In order to record all comments made by and to the officials, I do feel that dictaphones should be worn the officials. These recordings could then be used where appropriate by the CSPL and or the relevant county football association.

Guest Uncle Albert

The BIG linesman was involved in a continual conversation with spectators, both on Wednesday night and yesterday. I don't think it does officials any good to be getting involved with spectators like that, especially when using threatening language, as this official was.

The same BIG linesman did swear at spectators on Wednesday at Priory Park. Somebody questoned one of his offside decisions, and he turned round and said: "Kiss my arse."

Yesterday, Gilby said exactly the same to the BIG linesman, and was sent to the stand.

How does anyone go about reporting a linesman to the FA? Because I thought he was bringing the game into disrepute with his behaviour.

Certainly some of the players did themselves no favours, but you don't expect match officials to get involved in swearing shouting matches with spectators, do you?

On Wednseday night the large lino actually said to Derek Glbert (Darren's Father) "F*** Off you old ****.

Completely unacceptable and explains why Kevin Gilbert was swinging for him on the touchline.

Ironic that Darren then gets sent for similar language.

Not denying that Darren is slightly over zealous at times but I also believe he is a bit of a target as well.

Nice trophy for the official to have in the newspaper reports.

Glyn Rowett got the red card on Weds and never even went to the stand, he moved 3ft from the Technical area and the ref never bat an eyelid!

As it goes, he doesnt say a lot anyway but if he had wanted to, he could have carried on addressing his side despite his marching orders!

Just a quick word about the referee .... i think he is one of the best around, however, he struggled to keep his authority on Saturday!

Far too long talking to players, explaining why he made a decision; far too long putting someone's name in the book, and as for the "advantage" understand - well obviously us people who just enjoy watching, week in, week out don't undertand the law anymore!

I say this on good authority of the Devon FA gentleman who was in the back of the stand filming incidents for the benefit of the referee as well as others who will watch the clips and learn from them. He told us we needed to get up to date with the current understanding of the advantage situation. I shall have to read the law before commenting further!

As to his answer when I suggested the referee wasn't quite up to his usual standard - "he isn't being helped by his assistants", or words to that effect!

I also asked him if the filming would be available to clubs to lear from their "mistakes" when getting disciplined - and he said yes. Perhaps it should be sent to the clubs as a matter of course.

Finally, regarding Gilby .... i gather he was named as one of the subs on Saturday. Asked to move out of the techinical area, but not actually shown a red card (at least, i don't think so) - would he have been available to come on as a player still? :blink:

Dave - as we were sat together on Saturday, you know my feelings about the way the referee was applying advantage but even after talking to Mike Richards of Devon County FA who was filming the young ref, who I happen to think has a big future as a referee (but at his age, why isn't he playing), I still don't get it. To my way of thinking and the way I interpreted it when I was an active referee, if a player commits an offence and advantage is played by the referee, it is then the responsibilty of the team with the advantage to make something of it. If they weren't good enough to do that and lost control of the ball then play carried on. On countless occasions on Saturday, the referee played advantage and if the player with the advantage or even a second player who had received the ball from him lost the ball, the ref was bringing it back and awarding a free kick for the original offence. I am 100% behind playing advantage but if the team with the advantage lose the ball then surely that's just the way it goes. Surely you can't go back some 5 or 6 seconds or 2 maybe even 3 moves and give a free kick for the original offence. I understand why players get frustrated but referee's (or those in authority) seem to make the rules difficult for us to fully understand but they all have to hold their hands up sometimes and ask themselves,  `Could I have prevented that player from becoming frustrated if I had handled it differently`. I totally disagreed with Mike Richards comments that it was what the FA wanted to see to make the game flow much better but how can it flow better if the ref brings it back and awards a free kick for the original offence, if the team with the advantage lose the ball. Players being players, will say something and then get themselves booked when it could have been prevented by sticking to the game as we know it. To say it was what the FA wanted was like a red rag to a bull to me. Surely the game belongs to us and not the FA. True they administer it but if they carry on making silly adjustments to the laws, more and more people will get frustrated. It is our game and they sometimes make a pig's ear of things.One of the other thing's Mike Richards said to us was (and I quote), "The Referee is only as good as the players will allow him to be". What utter tripe.A lot of people thought the young ref had a poor afternoon but the Devon FA Official couldn't (or wouldn't) see it. Surely if the ref is told that his performance was good when it was not, how on earth will he learn.Isn't it funny how many people walk away from a game talking about the officials and not about the game.Bodmin had a very bad day at the office and Torpoint thoroughly deserved their win.Rant over   :SM_carton_y: - I know it won't make a penny's worth of difference but I certainly feel better for it.  :smiley20:

Indeed well put Ken - how often is this the case where a side (this time Torpoint), get a more than worthy win, but we end up walking away from the match wondering about the officials!

So back to the game - from the moment Torpoint took the lead, they were a different side and to be honest, Bodmin, for the top of the table side they are, didn't really have too much of an answer as to how they were going to pull back an equaliser, let alone go on to win the game!

I don't know if Mark Berry is carrying a knock, but at least when he came on, Bodmin looked a little more livelier going at the Torpoint back line, but it was all too little too late - but with Steve Ovens injured; Luke Hodge absent (?) - Danny O'Hagan, as the lone striker, was always going to find it tough going against a stubborn central defending pairing of Chris Todd and Paul Partridge.

At the end of the day, well played Torpoint - no real stars, but an all round team effort. They lived dangerously early on, but always got bodies behind the ball, and when necessary 'keeper Martin Piper was there behind a pack of defenders!

Mind you, I have to wonder why a Bodmin effort was disallowed in the first half - Piper fouled possibly the answer that referee David Goard explained in such detail to O'Hagan. But to be fair, the visiting goally was never going to get through a ruck of players to win the ball first!

Regarding the "Advantage" interpretation:

The referee may play advantage whenever an infringement or offence occurs.

The referee should consider the following circumstances in deciding whether to apply the advantage or stop play:

• the severity of the offence: if the infringement warrants an expulsion, the referee must stop play and send off the player unless there is a subsequent opportunity to score a goal

• the position where the offence was committed: the closer to the opponent’s goal, the more effective it can be

• the chances of an immediate, dangerous attack on the opponents’ goal

• the atmosphere of the match

The decision to penalise the original offence must be taken within a few seconds.

If the offence warrants a caution, it must be issued at the next stoppage. However, unless there is a clear advantage, it is recommended that the referee stops play and cautions the player immediately. If the caution is NOT issued at the next stoppage, it cannot be shown later.

"Within a few seconds"? Hmmm - inconclusive to me as to when should be played - but I agree with Ken, on Saturday, the team being allowed to play advantage were being given two bites of the cherry as on most occasions the ref brought play back to given them a free kick! Surely this cannot be right?

Not sure I agree with Dave/Ken on this.

The way the advantage is played in rugby seems to add an extra dimension to that game. For serious (penalty) offences the referee will play the advantage until the 'attacking' side give that advantage away by kicking the ball away or committing an offence themselves. In any other circumstances after a penalty offence where the ref is playing advantage and play is 'stalled' the referee comes back and awards the penalty.

Sometimes that can be a matter of minutes and while that wouldn't work in football I see nothing wrong with give the 'attacking' side a proper bite at the cherry to see if a real advantage is forthcoming. Waiting ten seconds or so seems OK, particularly if, as in rugby, the ref gives a clear signal that he is still 'playing the advantage'.

Guest badgerboy

Can see both sides of the argument here but gotta agree with Andy. An advantage is what it says it is and it might not present itself within the first few seconds. If a team is being allowed to play the advantage and they lose the ball have they actually gained an advantage? Biggest problem is everyone seems unclear about the rule and different refs interpretations of it.

they lose the ball have they actually gained an advantage?

Having been allowed to play on - it's their own fault if they are not good enough to keep possession!

Biggest problem is everyone seems unclear about the rule and different refs interpretations of it.

I think this is probably very true. Well obviously as far as Ken and I are concerned. The Devon FA rep said we were behind the times, but I tried looking up clarification and can't really say I am any clearer now. "A few seconds" - how long is a few seconds?

It all adds up to confusion and frustration to many directly involved!