Cornwall Football Forum

Trouble at Fairfield

Guest wayne

As of today 3rd Jan 2008, it is with regret that Ludgvan are without a Manager,Coach and several players due to strong rumours that the commitee have been having talks with a new manager who is to take over as soon as he can get a squad together. The commitee wanted to bring him in several weeks ago as he could bring 3-4 players and to assist coaching. Twelve weeks ago this team was folding when the manager and 1 player went to the social club and were begged by commitee members to take over the team as they had no manager and only 3 players, they had 4 days to produce a team for a cup game against probus, with a struggle this was acheived and we have fielded a team every game since ( october 18th 2008 ),to achieve this we have fielded injured players,including the manager,and players aging 16 to 50's,only four of which have played at combo level before. We would like to thank the commitee member that for warned us of the commitee's intentions, we only gained this information on the 2nd Jan 2008. We would like to thank our players that have stuck with it for the 9 games we have played. We would also like to thank the teams that we have played for the good games they have given us also for the praise they have given the team. We would like to wish the new manager and his team the best of luck, YOU WILL NEED IT, AS WE HAVE FOUND TO OUR COST.

I probably posted this in the wrong place! I have to say that I really feel for the Ludgvan lads. They turn up week in, week out, knowing that they are unlikely to get a result and their manager makes the decision to walk because of the factors above. I really hope that they have a change in fortunes because they seem like a decent bunch of lads. I know that Newquay went through a patch where they finished in the bottom three for a number of consecutive seasons and I know how hard the lads found it.

There's always a lot of talk about the flair players and the best combo team, but to be honest with you it is lads like the Ludgvan lot that keep coming back, every week with very little to motivate them, that also deserve credit. I hope that things get sorted at Fairfield, all the best for 2009.

As of today 3rd Jan 2008, it is with regret that Ludgvan are without a Manager,Coach and several players due to strong rumours that the commitee have been having talks with a new manager who is to take over as soon as he can get a squad together. The commitee wanted to bring him in several weeks ago as he could bring 3-4 players and to assist coaching. Twelve weeks ago this team was folding when the manager and 1 player went to the social club and were begged by commitee members to take over the team as they had no manager and only 3 players, they had 4 days to produce a team for a cup game against probus, with a struggle this was acheived and we have fielded a team every game since ( october 18th 2008 ),to achieve this we have fielded injured players,including the manager,and players aging 16 to 50's,only four of which have played at combo level before. We would like to thank the commitee member that for warned us of the commitee's intentions, we only gained this information on the 2nd Jan 2008. We would like to thank our players that have stuck with it for the 9 games we have played. We would also like to thank the teams that we have played for the good games they have given us also for the praise they have given the team. We would like to wish the new manager and his team the best of luck, YOU WILL NEED IT, AS WE HAVE FOUND TO OUR COST.

THE MANAGER AND ALL EXECPT A COUPLE OF PLAYERS HAVE LEFT THE CLUB TODAY DUE TO THE ABOVE NOT THE FACT THEY WERE LOSING EVERY WEEK ALSO THE MANAGER HAS NOT WALKED OUT ON HIS TEAM MAJORITY HAVE WALKED WITH HIM !!!!!!!

The commitee wanted to bring him in several weeks ago as he could bring 3-4 players and to assist coaching.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but surely with the results Ludgvan have been getting, it's a case of needing more than 3-4 players! And if those 3-4 are any good, why leave where they are at present? I just can't see any decent player moving at this stage of the season.

Having said that, the club surely can't keep getting hammered with some of their recent results beyond belief in Senior football! You can't surely blame the club for wanting to improve and we all know that so much skullduggery always goes on behind the scenes - everywhere, it won't just be going on at Ludgvan.

Finally, probably when Newquay were struggling, they might not have had the added pressure of relegation as a possibility! Added pressure. We're led to believe there are clubs applying to come up and so with this there will be relegation from the Combo.

Some might say it do Ludgvan good to go down, but it will probably prove harder to get back up into the Combo - that is, if they really want Senior football of course.

The players and management at Ludgvan deserve absolute credit for their performance yesterday. They knew the situation with the goings on within the committee and faced a strong Perranporth side with determination and spirit. They didn't drop their heads and they stood together as a team united under a manager they respect until the final whistle and only then did a few players find it hard to hide their feelings about what has gone on at the club.

Dave, many will say that Ludgvan have only lasted so long in the Combo cos they keep getting allowed in as an easy 6 points. But that doesn't take away from the fact that these lads stepped up when they were asked to in order to fulfil a Cup fixture and have fulfilled every fixture since. Lucky for the Ludgvan committee that they did as pulling out of the league would have given them a hefty fine. I was sorry not to be able to stay for a drink after the game yesterday (I had lost all feeling in my feet and had frostbite in my fingers!) but wish all the players and pitchside staff the very best in whatever they decide to do.

many will say that Ludgvan have only lasted so long in the Combo cos they keep getting allowed in as an easy 6 points

I think that's probably a little unfair in Ludgvan's recent survival in the league. Haven't the days when clubs vote on the re-election position gone?

Hence why over recent seasons there have been movement in and out. If you look back over the past few years you'll see why I say that:-

2007/08 Ludgvan finished 4 points ahead of bottom side Penzance, who avoided relegation because although Portreath joined the league, Truro City were promoted into the SWPL

2006/07 OK admittedly Ludgvan did finish bottom this season but because of reshaping of leagues (SWPL), some would say fortunate to have been able to stay in!

2005/06 Ludgvan finished respectable mid-table 11th/20. 45 points clear of bottom side Goonhavern who were replaced by St Day

2004/05 Ludgvan finished 16th/20, 36 points clear of bottom side Porthleven who were replaced by Perranporth

2003/04 Ludgvan finished 19th/20, 10 points clear of bottom side Marazion who were replaced by Holmans

2002/03 Ludgvan finished bottom with 4 points - was this when clubs still voted at the AGM?

2001/02 Ludgvan finished 19th/20, 7 points clear of bottom side Wendron

2000/01 Ludgvan finished 18th/20, 6 points clear of bottom side Mousehole. Next to bottom side Troon dropped out and replaced by Hayle

This is not me having a go at the current Squad I admire their balls to go out and play each match but for me Ludgvan FC has had this situation coming a long time coming.

Ludgvan FC has for some time been holding onto Senior status by the edge of their finger tips, I understand the committee trying hard to keep Senior Status but what they are doing to these lads week in week out is unfair.

But then again this situation is not entirely Ludgvan's fault but that of corrupt football teams in the Combination League that has allowed this to happen in the first place.

When my side Carharrack AFC applied for Senior status two years in a row 98/99 & 99/00 after having a fantastic team and a excellent ground to match, Ludgvan were considered, sorry to say it "Whipping Boys" and therefore the "6 Point" team that nobody wanted to get rid of in the COmbo. At the time the Combo was a "Closed Shop Network" and why would anyone want to get rid of Ludgvan FC when they knew Ludgvan would keep their own side in Senior Status. This wasn't only was a shambles but it then lowered the standard of football in the league. It not only cost us the brilliant Dave Thomas (ex Falmouth Town) as manager who got disillusioned by Cornish football and hasnt managed since but also a magnificent team that also got disillusioned and split up, some giving up football altogether others moving into sides inside the Combo.

Now if Ludgvan stay up this year I will eat my hat. But for some reason I might have eat my hat because for some reason Ludgvan always manage to stay up. I think only two teams have applied for Senior Status this year Storm and Troon, each needing to finish in the Top 3 of the Mining League. Will those teams manage to do that this season?

If you disagree with me please reply.

Richard

Either of the bottom two teams can be relegated from the Combo. It is not automatic that whoever is last is relegated.

Combo Rule below

12. POINTS TO DETERMINE CHAMPIONSHIP "DECIDING" MATCHES - PROMOTION AND RELEGATION

(B)At the end of the season, the bottom two teams would be liable to be relegated should one or two teams be eligible for promotion from a feeder League. The criteria for promotion are set out in Appendix A and they shall form part of the Rules of the Combination League.

APPENDIX A - CRITERIA FOR DECIDING RELEGATION AND PROMOTION ISSUES WITH FEEDER LEAGUES

RELEGATION

1. Each season the bottom two teams in the Cornwall combination League would be liable to be relegated, should one or two teams be eligible for promotion.

2. Any teams relegated would go into the geographically appropriate League's top division and seasonal adjustments between the Falmouth/Helston and Mining Division Leagues would be made if needed: these matters to be determined by the Joint Liaison Committee (JLC)

3. If a relegated Combination League Club already has a team in the top division of the Feeder League into which they are to be relegated, then the existing team would have to be withdrawn.

PROMOTION

1. The top three Clubs in each Feeder League would be considered for promotion.

2. One Club from each Feeder League would be eligible for promotion providing they meet the Criteria for Admission to the Cornwall Combination League.

3. No reserves team of existing Combination League members will be eligible.

CONDITIONS

1. Any Club seeking promotion must apply to THEIR OWN LEAGUE by January 7th of the current season. Initial ground grading by their own League completed by February 7th.

2. Feeder Leagues recommend Clubs who have met criteria by February 14th.

3.. Clubs confirm application in writing to Combination League, with £25 fee, by February 14th.

4. Ground inspection to be carried out by Combination League by March 14th.

5. By March 31st Feeder Leagues informed by Combination League of Clubs which have met all the criteria.

6. All or any improvements/work required to be carried out to secure promotion to be completed by Clubs, inspected and passed by the Combination League by May 31st.

JOINT LIAISON COMMITTEE

1. A Joint Liaison Committee consisting of three representatives of each League will administer and make decisions regarding matters of relegation and promotion.

2. The Chairman and Secretary of each League, plus one other member shall comprise the Joint Liaison Committee.

3. The Chairman of the Cornwall Combination League shall be the Chairman of the Joint Liaison Committee and the Secretary of the Cornwall Combination League shall be the convenor of such meetings as are necessary.

CTB

As a supporter of Ludgvan, and an ex commitee member (chairman and Secretary) It is sad to see the results every week.

I have had to plead with fellow clubs at the AGMs when voting in teams were the rule. Not a pleasant experience. Did they vote for six "easy" points, I don't think so, because in theory all teams could have got them and cancelled each other out. I prefer the argument we put forward that we were a welcoming club, excellent facilities, and which most players of most teams liked to come and play. We were always difficult to beat. There was no money from the club involved for players, and was then predominatlely made up from local lads. I don't know the ins and outs of what happened on Saturday, but there was great determination in the bar after the game, to field a side against Penzance next Saturday.

Guest Man on the Post

we all know that so much skullduggery always goes on behind the scenes - everywhere

Skullduggery at every club! That's a huge amount and plenty of material for your Indy Column Dave. :thumbsup: I look forward to reading about it. :yahoo: :clapper:

As a supporter of Ludgvan, and an ex commitee member (chairman and Secretary) It is sad to see the results every week.

I have had to plead with fellow clubs at the AGMs when voting in teams were the rule. Not a pleasant experience. Did they vote for six "easy" points, I don't think so, because in theory all teams could have got them and cancelled each other out. I prefer the argument we put forward that we were a welcoming club, excellent facilities, and which most players of most teams liked to come and play. We were always difficult to beat. There was no money from the club involved for players, and was then predominatlely made up from local lads. I don't know the ins and outs of what happened on Saturday, but there was great determination in the bar after the game, to field a side against Penzance next Saturday.

Great shame to see your club like this,hats off to the people still trying to make it work. :clapper::thumbsup: :ninja: