Cornwall Football Forum

Haven't been looking around the other forums the last few days, but noticed this today:-

"The club [Truro City] have announced that as from Saturday 20th December 2008 thay have been forced to change the admission structure please note that the club are offering the first 250 free programmes.

Admissions Prices

Adults £8

Senior Citizens £5

Adults & Senior Citizens The First 250 Paying Supporters Will Receive A Free Programme

Children £2

Parking in the Car Park £1"

Slightly different wording on the Supporters Forum included:-

"From the 20th December 2008 home to Bishops Cleeve the following changes will be put in place in line with other teams in the British Gas Business Football League, and the rising cost of the travelling we incur."

£ 8 to go and watch Truro city play, No chance mate especially when you have to travel 12 miles to watch them midweek and then see there reserves play, That just takes the mickey out of the paying public and how can they justify this. :drink:

Monty ... are you referring to the League Cup game? Surely it's a bit unfair to suggest you won't go because of one game.

Reasons for :-The standard is a lot better than we have been use to; the pitch is top class now and even in very wet conditions, the surface is more than helpful for playing good football; there's a splattering of recent ex-professionals

Against :-I think however, they could have perhaps waited until after Christmas to increase the prices; if they had to do it, why not step it up by a £1 to soften the blow; some of the players are not doing the business and therefore why should hard earnt money line their pockets; and finally, we just aren't use to paying so much to watch a Cornish football side!

Or...............................

Go and spend a bit more and watch LEAGUE football at Home Park or St James Park where they have covered seating and a real atmoshere!!

Or even pull yourself away from your sky box and watch a Premier League game as most of the "so" called Truro fans mostly have a PL shirt on anyhow!!

There is a whole world the other side of the Tamar you know................

Guest Man on the Post

Won't make much difference to those out of the first 250 who usually buy a programme. :D

Two seasons ago I heard a bloke in his mid 20's complaining about the £5 admission price but that same evening, according to his friend, he spent over £40 on booze in L2. :angry: Some people just like to moan. :D

Guest Sport Lover

Home park was £26 in the away end on Saturday far to much for sitting in the cold watching rubbish football and I dont just mean Argyle, QPR were rubbish as well.

Guest crosser

Home park was £26 in the away end on Saturday far to much for sitting in the cold watching rubbish football and I dont just mean Argyle, QPR were rubbish as well.

:D Anita and I had free tickets :D :Santa:

Monty ... are you referring to the League Cup game? Surely it's a bit unfair to suggest you won't go because of one game.

Reasons for :-The standard is a lot better than we have been use to; the pitch is top class now and even in very wet conditions, the surface is more than helpful for playing good football; there's a splattering of recent ex-professionals

Against :-I think however, they could have perhaps waited until after Christmas to increase the prices; if they had to do it, why not step it up by a £1 to soften the blow; some of the players are not doing the business and therefore why should hard earnt money line their pockets; and finally, we just aren't sue to paying so much to watch a Cornish football side!quote name='Dave Deacon' date='Dec 15 2008, 06:02 PM' post='76352']

Against :-I think however, they could have perhaps waited until after Christmas to increase the prices; if they had to do it, why not step it up by a £1 to soften the blow; some of the players are not doing the business and therefore why should hard earnt money line their pockets; and finally, we just aren't sue to paying so much to watch a Cornish football side!

[/quote

Yes Dave I quite agree,but on the other hand we have never had a Cornish team playing at this level of football before either.

I think Truro should be praised for keeping the admission prices £2 cheaper than other teams in this league for the first half of the season.

Lets not forget the cost when Truro play their away games more than doubles the expense of any other team in this league,so you cant blame them for bringing their admission charges in line with the rest.

In my opinion £8 for the class of football that is on display is still good value for the money.

Guest hammer3

At the end of the day the club does have to be self sufficient, and if thats the price then thats the price.

Its the only way the club will fully survive in the future.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Who is actually complaining about the price rise ? If you are a loyal TCFC fan (there must be at least 2 or 3), you will understand the increase and not baulk at paying the extra. Truro City have a huge wage bill and the fall in gates means that the owner has to dip into pockets, possibly even his own ! If this is the middle of the end, will the club take voluntary relegation as Canvey Island did from the Conference when the money man pulled the plug. By the way, Canvey admission prices for Ryman Prem (Step 4) are as follows....

Normal Entry (excluding cup games)

Adults - £8.50

Concessions (OAPS/Students with a valid ID/Kids 12-16) - £4.50

Children (under 12) accompanied by a paying adult - £1

Seating - no extra cost to normal admission.

Matchday Programmes

£1.50 - can be purchased at the programme shop upon entrance to the ground.

Why didn't they increase the costs at the start of the season if they fall into place with the new league, and then if the gates are low then perhaps drop them by a pound or two, surely this would of made more sense. Why as it come into line now during the most testing financial situation and i thought fuel has come down?. if you cant afford a player then off load them its seems easy if you ask me. lower your beer prices and you will get more supporters in the bar.

Why didn't they increase the costs at the start of the season if they fall into place with the new league and then if the gates a low then perhaps drop them by a pound or two, surely this would of made more sense. why as it come into line now during the most testing financial situation and i thought fuel has come down?. if you cant afford a player then off load them its seems easy if you ask me. lower your beer prices and you will get moor supporters in the bar.

Why didn't they increase the costs at the start of the season if they fall into place with the new league and then if the gates a low then perhaps drop them by a pound or two, surely this would of made more sense. why as it come into line now during the most testing financial situation and i thought fuel has come down?. if you cant afford a player then off load them its seems easy if you ask me. lower your beer prices and you will get moor supporters in the bar.

you just cant off load a player if hes on a contract,and if you dont like the prices just go somewere like painters lane end :drink:

you just cant off load a player if hes on a contract,and if you dont like the prices just go somewere like painters lane end,or perhaps just belt up :drink:

well said winno they dont have to go ,just like to MOAN :angry:

Guest chinner

I like to watch a lot of local football but i think mr heaney is having a laugh with these price rises,yes it is a good standard of football i agree and yes there is a lot of ex pros playing but thats the point there ex pros because there not good enough,people need to realise this.I think this will not only backfire on the club,it could finish them,how many fans does mr heaney expect to turn up on a cold/wet january night to watch his team of EX PROS and then having to pay £8 for the pleasure,i would guess no more than 200 so i would forget the programme giveaway deal.I would of thought the club would be looking to up there gates not lowering them,maybe dropping adult prices would see an increase in gates or even a kids go free deal,as im sure mr heaney more than anyone knows were in the middle of a recession,moneys tight.I agree with other posts that its a personal choice,you dont have to watch truro city play but all im saying is please dont price your tickets so high that you end up playing in front of nobody.

By what I have seen so far,the only people that are moaning about the increase admission are people who never go to watch Truro City play football,and if they were honest wouldn't go to watch a game even if the admission were £2 per game.So your opinion means nothing to me.Most Truro supporters that I have spoken to seem to fully understand the need to raise the admission.Tell me where else in the County can you watch the level of football that is on display for as little as £8 ?

Now that I have retired from the playing game i still would like to go and watch, I always look in the local paper and see what midweek game is on and where the highest standard would be now that i dont have to train midweek, 9 times out of 10 its Truro City. Not whinging at prices but then again just making a point but if you are going to react to a fair point then you can stick Truro City where the sun dont shine, I will stay at home and watch re-runs of desperate housewives. :Santa:

Guest chinner

my last comment on this £2 rise on admission prices is: I WOULD BE MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY THE EXTRA £2 IF IT MEANT MR HEANEY PAYS THE DOZENS OF POOR PEOPLE/BUISNESSES HE HAS RIPPED OFF IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS,I KNOW PEOPLE WILL REACT BY SAYING THATS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SUBJECT BUT ITS NOT,THE MAN LOVES TO LINE HIS OWN POCKETS BUT REALLY DOESNT GIVE A **** ABOUT DECENT WORKING CLASS PEOPLE.HES ON A VERY STICKY WICKET!!!!!!!!!!!

St Darren, You are being NAUGHTY, you like me travel a lot, you know it is NOT ONLY fuel that's increased in price, admittedly fuel prices have fallen recently but the other costs haven't.

Recently my wife and I stayed 8 nights B&B in TRURO, NOT your proper breakfast, we had the D.I.Y version of continental, non sustaining rubbish, the price £60 per night and they informed us they had knocked £9 a night off the price. £480 for 8 nights B&B.

People visiting Cornwall are being taken for a ride, it is little wonder other parts of the country are getting their own back.

If you did the weekly shop you would realise the huge rise in food prices, that's passed on to the consumer, hotels don't absorb those costs, they pass them on, coach companies costs rise, they pay increased costs for the drivers overnight stops etc. many hidden increases come into play that have to be paid.

Talking to clubs here in the London Area they complain that their ONE TRIP TO TRURO wipes out their profit for the whole season. therefore taking that into consideration Truro City have 21 seasons in one to find cash to travel.

A little more than fuel :drink:

St Darren, You are being NAUGHTY, you like me travel a lot, you know it is NOT ONLY fuel that's increased in price, admittedly fuel prices have fallen recently but the other costs haven't.

Recently my wife and I stayed 8 nights B&B in TRURO, NOT your proper breakfast, we had the D.I.Y version of continental, non sustaining rubbish, the price £60 per night and they informed us they had knocked £9 a night off the price. £480 for 8 nights B&B.

People visiting Cornwall are being taken for a ride, it is little wonder other parts of the country are getting their own back.

If you did the weekly shop you would realise the huge rise in food prices, that's passed on to the consumer, hotels don't absorb those costs, they pass them on, coach companies costs rise, they pay increased costs for the drivers overnight stops etc. many hidden increases come into play that have to be paid.

Talking to clubs here in the London Area they complain that their ONE TRIP TO TRURO wipes out their profit for the whole season. therefore taking that into consideration Truro City have 21 seasons in one to find cash to travel.

A little more than fuel :drink:

Well well well,at last we get a post that makes some sense.Good on you Moutaineer.I just wonder if some of the other moaners will grasp what you pointed out ?

Guest hammer3

Which club is self sufficient Hammer3?

Clubs need to get as much money in as possible to cover the costs of players wages, staff wages, etc etc.

they obviously get that through admission to games, sponsorship deals and prize money.

Football is a business and so needs to be treated like one, realisticly the only time the owner should be dipping into his pockets is to purchase players and prehaps update the ground. but im sure sometimes it is needed elsewhere also.

I would of thought Mt Heany is trying to get Truro into a position where they can be self sufficient and only need his money for new purchases.

Its always going to be more difficult for a team in this part of country, we all know that. thats just the way it is.

Im really not in a position to comment on what Mr Heany has or hasnt done to local business with the decline of one of his groups as i dont know enough about it and havnt been affected. Having said that though i do feel for anyone who has lost out because of it, I once owned my own business and know how badly it affects you when people go under owing you money.

but when all is said and done, im just a chap living in Truro following the local team and hoping they go as far as they can, and when i go to see them play like i have done this season, I will pay the entrance fee and get on with it.

just my opinion.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

"Talking to clubs here in the London Area they complain that their ONE TRIP TO TRURO wipes out their profit for the whole season. therefore taking that into consideration Truro City have 21 seasons in one to find cash to travel. A little more than fuel.

Well well well,at last we get a post that makes some sense.Good on you Moutaineer.I just wonder if some of the other moaners will grasp what you pointed out ?"

Surely, the owner had everything planned and budgeted for when he made the statement that he would take the club to the Conference (Blue Sq Prem), or was it that he had based his calculations on the unrealistic but projected 1,000 fans at each home game. It was he, who took the club and land over with a huge fanfare, big promises and boasts... he should keep putting his money (or those of his creditors) where his mouth is rather than fleece the few fans who have remained. This was his dream, not the loyal Red/Black brigade who saw through him and defected to Penryn.

"Talking to clubs here in the London Area they complain that their ONE TRIP TO TRURO wipes out their profit for the whole season. therefore taking that into consideration Truro City have 21 seasons in one to find cash to travel. A little more than fuel.

Well well well,at last we get a post that makes some sense.Good on you Moutaineer.I just wonder if some of the other moaners will grasp what you pointed out ?"

Surely, the owner had everything planned and budgeted for when he made the statement that he would take the club to the Conference (Blue Sq Prem), or was it that he had based his calculations on the unrealistic but projected 1,000 fans at each home game. It was he, who took the club and land over with a huge fanfare, big promises and boasts... he should keep putting his money (or those of his creditors) where his mouth is rather than fleece the few fans who have remained. This was his dream, not the loyal Red/Black brigade who saw through him and defected to Penryn.

Why take a pop at Kevin Heaney.Every thing that he has promised is well and truly still on track.Just look at what has been achieved,3 promotions in as many years and still in the running for a 4th,plus bringing the F.A. Vase home to Cornwall for the first time ever.I think we have a lot to thank him for at Truro because if he didn't step in to bale us out a few years back there would not be a Truro City Football Club,Red and Black or otherwise.And as for those loyal Red and Black fans,I dont call defecting to Penryn being very loyal to the club,but only being loyal to the colour of the strip.

Mountaineer, totally agree with your post, but lets face it, you've had to read between the lines and all that to come up with the real cost of travelling. Do Truro travel up the night before every game and stay in a hotel???

The cost of fuel has come down!

The cost of staying anywhere in this county is a joke, was talkign to someone the other day and its cheaper to go abroad, its ridiculous.

Unfortunately for Truro City FC they will never be self sufficient. Largely due to location in the country.

Best of luck to what Mr Heaney is trying to acheive, but I can't see it ever happening and being sustained.

EVERYONES MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME OUT TO WATCH TRISPEN AFC ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF TRURO 2MILES TO TRAVEL , NO ADMISSION PRICE NO PROGRAMME TO BUY JUST HONEST LOCAL LADS PLAYING FOR ENJOYMENT :clapper:

WELL SAID MIKE, MIGHT I ADD THE PLAYING SURFACE AT TRISPEN IS SECOND TO NONE. THERES PRITTY MUCH NO GRASS LEFT, ITS NOT LEVEL AND PIGS WOULD FEEL WELL AT HOME IN THE BOTTOM GOAL MOUTH. PROBABLY MORE ATMOSPHERE AT TRISPEN ASWELL.

WHY NOT COME OUT AND TRY IT PEOPLE?? NOTHING TO LOSE AND PLENTY OF GOALS USUALLY SCORED BT EX ENGLAND AND BORUSSIA DORTMUND STRIKER MARK'RAPPO' RAPSEY.

AS FOR THE £8 ADMISSION FEE. I PAID £6 TO WATCH TRURO PLAY AFC TOTTON OTHER WEEK AND I FELT COMPLETLY RIPPED OFF!! TERRIBLE FOOTBALL MATCH AND MUST GIVE THE MATCH PROGRAMME A MENTION! COST ME £2 AND HAD A TOTAL OF 4 PAGES!! RIP OFF NUMBER TWO, SO IN TOTAL £8 TO GO AND WATCH TRURO PLAY SHOCKING LONG BALL FOOTBALL AND READ THE MATCH PROGRAMME IN 12 SECONDS. GOOD BYE AND GOOD NIGHT.

OH AND TRISPEN BEAT ROSUDGEN 8-0 TODAY

Tribal ? You don't need the meaning of the word up in this cosmopolitan city of Truro ! Soft as wool u[p here. You haven't even got any rocks in your pitch ! Mind you, our rocks are all paid for !

:drink:

At St Just Feast they would roast Penzancers on spits if it weren't for the restrictions of the sodding imperialist English government and the running lackeys of county hall, in thrall to all those semi-Cornish who live so near the border they have been corrupted by English ways and even eat Ginsters anglicised sad parodies of meat pies.

How can you be a mountaineer down here ? Even Brown Willy is only 1368 feet high.

Nothing for or against Kevin Heaney, but anybody whose financial dealings followed the same pattern down west would be floating in a disused adit between Levant and Wheal Owles by now, fertilising the handsome furze. :o

Good luck in the New Year, City, from one of the ground's closest neighbours, a typical local football fan ! :Santa:

My school Teacher Mr Williams at Truro Tec called his cane Brown Willy, huge wasn't the word for it, by comparison going in front of the Headmaster for six of the best was like going on holiday :lol:

Compliments of the season to EVERYONE -

For 'The Judge', I was only JOKING, your anti City postings make me smile :lol: A merry Xmas to you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest watcher

Wouldnt surprise me if Mr Heaney pulled out at the end of the season?? <_<

You know the man that well Monty,do you ? or is it like some others who visit this forum,just wishfull thinking ?

:clapper:

Seems like Monty has his finger well and truly on the button. Only a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...

It is sad that a few who visit the Southern League boards only do so whilst awaiting the demise of Truro City, IF Mr Heaney had any thoughts of walking away at the end of the season he would not have bothered travelling to Didcot and Burnham to SUPPORT the TEAM.

Maybe in the future he could yearn for pastures new, until that day comes, if it ever does, we should rejoice in the pleasure his involvement with Truro City has brought to us.

I for one am enjoying seeing my home town basking in the glory. :lol:

I think there is a bigger issue than Truro City and Mr Heaney, that is SURVIVAL for THOUSANDS of non-league clubs, week in week out more and more are stressing their financial woes, they are not getting the support from the local community, many top non-league clubs have cancelled their satellite packages and show BBC on a Saturday afternoon to save the thousands it costs, none of the fans I have come into contact with in the London Area seem to mind, they accept it is for the good of the club.