Cornwall Football Forum

Mining League Results 17/05/08

Guest Jezza

Mining 3

Threemilestone Res 2 (or 3?) Portreath Res 0 - Match Abandoned around 70 mins. Ref had a paddy and walked off....!

Who are Div 3 Champions................? Your guess is as good as mine.

Guest Jezza

Rain had stopped, you'd have to wait for the Ref's report for the exact reason I was on the other side of the pitch taking pictures so didn't hear the conversation. The Ref was a young lad who in my opinion should not have been put in charge of a title deciding match. I won't say he made a lot of mistakes as that would be unfair but with every decision an important one he just wasn't the authority figure needed for this game and never seemed to have things under control.

The final incident happened as a TMS forward was flagged offside quite correctly by the Portreath linesman as soon as he became active, the Ref seemed to give the goal anyway and then the Portreath official got into an argument with the Ref. Following this the Ref blew the final whistle and left the pitch.......?

Guest Jezza

That was one of the things that struck me SF not a league official in sight..... Unless they were planning on turning up at the end (by which time we were all in the social club watching the end of the Cup Final.

Ironically I believe both sides wanted an early kick off today and it was the Ref who insisted the KO stayed at 2:30.... as you say will have to await a league ruling. I think the Portreath boys will admit we were looking comfortable at 2:0 but it was a well mannered game played in good spirit. Who knows what'll be the decision now.

Would have expected a few more from Chacewater to be there as well but perhaps the weather along with the cup final they wisely decided better of it....

I'll post some pics up in a bit.

Guest Jezza

some pics from the game.....

Both goals for TMS were scored by Dan Taylor, the first from a speculative cross come shot...

phdant1.jpg

phdant2.jpg

phdant3.jpg

the second was a beautifully timed volley that gave the keeper no chance...

phdant4.jpg

Jason Peters nearly extended the lead as the keeper spilled a shot....

phpeters1.jpg

phpeters2.jpg

phpeters3.jpg

but some cool defending on the line see's the ball to safety....

phpeters4.jpg

Guest Jezza

Portreath had their moments and carved out some chances of their own....

phattack1.jpg

phattack2.jpg

but TMS hold firm and Anthony Caddy clears the lines...

phattack3.jpg

both sides went on to create further chances...

with both goalkeepers making some good saves....

phtom1.jpg

phsave1.jpg

Portreath remained hard to breakdown....

pheffort1.jpg

but TMS were skippered well by my man of the match Greame Weir who kept the impressive Kevin Endean relatively quiet throughout the game...

phweir1.jpg

Mining 2

Four Lanes 2-1 Goonhavern

Andy Cowper both goals. Four Lanes promoted

Congratulations to Four Lanes, see you next season...

Guest Jezza

TMS Res v Portreath Res.

Bit of strange one all round really, I'll update our website to say Champions..... and wait to be told otherwise. I'm not sure of the exact amount of time that had been played when the Ref threw his toys out of the pram but either the result stands and we take three points or we get told to play it again and the Portreath boys have alreay said they would give us the game and 3 points anyway... wonder how long it will take the league to make a decision......?

After pointing to the centre circle (seeming to give the goal) the ref then speaks to the Portreath Linesman..

phref1.jpg

The players and the crowd then can't believe it as the full time whistle is blown...

phref2.jpg

And despite negotiations with all parties the Ref is staying put and the game is over...

phref3.jpg

Well SF being honest I wouldn't personally like to win the league in that way and I also wouldn't want the game replayed due to us being so comfortably ahead at that stage.

Does it seem silly to say to have the game replayed from the point of abandonment at 2/3-0 to us?

well from the tms point of view all we did was be offside and score. all the arguments seemed to be from the portreath linesman who's argument sparked the abandonment and i also looked across a few minutes later to see him be restrained by 2 people. so i don't know whats going to happen to but hopefully the league will decide soon.

i personally thought i was offside, but as a striker i carry on and score until called back, which i wasn't so............... but honestly i hate to moan aswell but the ref just before blatantly dismissed the linos decision when the ball went out by 5/6 yards, their keeper tried keeping it in, but was nowhere near. however the ball came back onto the pitch, i picked up the ball to place on the corner spot and the ref gave handball even though the lino was giving the decision and claiming the ball went out by a mile.

I just think the league should have picked an experienced ref for a game between 2 top 5 sides which could decide the league title!

Its not the league who appoint the referee! And I believe the referee in question has just been promoted to level 6 and is part of the Young Referees Group!

A more experienced referee should have been appointed in my opinion, and a promotion for this referee will do him no good at all, I know how much you support your fellow officials bighairydave but he has struggled on every occasion I've seen him. Surely would have been more beneficial to allow him one more season at junior level with help from his mentor before thinking about promotion??

Agreed Gorgie,if the referee can't handle a Mining League Division Three match,albeit a championship deciding one,i have concerns for him iakingCombination games next season.

Credit goes to you for speaking out so honestly Nige. It's statements like that one that have made you one of the most liked and respected officials around.

Seems from the position of being outside looking in, that this particular official is going to be well out of his depth. Fair play to the guy for wanting to continue progressing up the officiating letter BUT you'd like to think that he'll be competent enough to be true to himself and wait another year before thinking of any imminent progression.

Coopsie - I don't mean any discredit to the young referee but,as Bighairydave said,man management is also a part of refereeing,and where he seems to be struggling.The young referees are being pushed through and most are very confident and competent but we are all different and maybe one or two will take a little longer to achieve their goal.

SF, there are a couple of referee's out there that I can think of could do with a few lessons in Man Management with players, should take on the example of yourself, Rosey, Kevin Knowles and Georgie. Also, George Patterson is a ref that is going to do well as well, played the game and understands it!!

Thanks Darren.When one thinks about the number of games that are played in this county each week,i think that it is testament to the fact that Cornwall has a large number of good,sensible referees.There are some young referees being brought through the system but they are young and for them i am sure that it is daunting to referee experienced players at that level,they need to get the games under their belts and gain the match practice.

George is a good referee,i've not seen him yet but heard very good reports of his exploits.He has the advantage of,as you say,having played the game and understanding it at a high level which will stand him in good stead.He was with me last Sunday for the Veterans final at Roche together with Justin Moses,another referee who is making very good progress through the system,both great guys.

Justin Moses has improved in the last year, big time. He refereed a game at Albion about 18 months ago, and he was terrible. Then he's reffed me this year, and he was great!

We had an old dude at Albion last Monday, who I've never had before and he was very good. Could have stamped out Joe Benney's high feet earlier. Other than that he was good, woudl talk to you through the game