Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town 1; Nailsea & Tickenham 0.

Recommended Posts

Falmouth Town 1;       Nailsea & Tickenham 0.

Sims (23)

Att: 455.


Falmouth Town just managed to get over the line in this difficult home tie against Nailsea & Tickenham, with a repeat of the result of their previous encounter in September. In many ways it was a similar game with Falmouth getting the goal but not being able to add to it, and then surviving some sustained pressure to keep their lead intact.

Manager Andy Westgarth started with what looked like a midfield diamond to enable Rubin Wilson and Oscar Massey to play as a pair in attack. James Swan was preferred at right back to Jacob Grange. Promising local striker Charlie Edney was welcomed back in to the first team squad after a long injury lay-off.

Falmouth started the game with the majority of the possession but had to adapt their normal style of play due to the change in shape, having to play predominantly through the central areas, where their opponents had some experienced players. Particularly the centre-back Steve Kingdon and captain Hamish Hurst who adopted a physical approach with some uncompromising tackles that other refs may have deemed as fouls.  The first 20 minutes followed this pattern although The SWAGs had some promising moments going forward with the #10 Miles Hardidge particularly catching the eye.

On 23 minutes, Falmouth made the breakthrough. During a period of Falmouth pressure, the ball was played down the left edge of the box to Rubin Wilson. He held it up and laid it back to Bradley Leivers who delivered an excellent first time cross to Jared Sims on the far post who nodded it into the bottom right-hand corner for his seventh goal of the season, beating the accomplished Jason Mellor, the N & T goalkeeper.

In the 37th minute came the away team’s best chance of the match, The ball was worked out to the left wing and an early cross found Oscar Collins between the posts about 5 yards out. With the goal at his mercy, he blasted it over the bar, much to the F-Troops relief down at the Packet End.

One minute later and it was Town’s turn to spurn a chance. Jack Webber, who had a solid game in the centre of midfield broke through creating a one-one with Mellor but the big keeper got down well to save The Swags.

The half finished at 1-0 to Falmouth. Although there were no changes of personnel at half-time, Falmouth seemed to set up more as a 4-4-2 for the 2nd half with Barner and Sims trying to provide the width. Within three minutes, this change nearly brought it’s rewards. A good move down the right resulted in Barner squaring the ball across the box for Massey but he was unable to get a clean touch on it and it was safely gathered by Mellor.

After a further 3 minutes, Coxhead made a good save from a N&T forward as the visitors started to apply pressure to the Town defence. With the wind against them, Falmouth were struggling to get out of their half.  However, Nailsea were lacking the final ball and all too often played it too long and the ball was blown to safety over the bye-line.  The half continued with a flurry of corners having to be defended by Town.  On one occasion, a clearance fell to a Nailsea midfielder who struck a sweet half-volley just past Coxhead’s left-hand post.  As the game wore on, Falmouth had to defend more and more as they fought for the precious three points , but they  were equal to the task and after around 7 minutes of stoppage time, the ref finally blew up for full time, much to the relief of the impressive crowd of 455.

Man of the Match was Morgan Coxhead who made a series of good saves and kept his 19th clean sheet of the season, although Tom Annear hardly put a foot wrong at Centre-back and was the outstanding outfield player.

Falmouth now move on to another difficult away tie on Tuesday night against Street.  They will be hoping that there will be full availability despite the long trip as every point is now crucial. With Helston drawing at Bridgwater in the week, a win at Street would put further pressure on the league leaders considering that they then have to play Falmouth in the massive Good Friday game at Kellaway Park.  With two coaches full and many more making the short trip over by car and bus, the F-Troop will be there in force and it should be a cracking atmosphere in a game that could go a long way to determining who wins the Western League Premier title.


Falmouth Town:  Morgan Coxhead, James Swan©, Bradley Leivers, James Ward, Tom Annear, Andreas Calleja-Stayne, Jared Sims, Jack Webber, Luke Barner, Oscar Massey, Rubin Wilson.  Subs: Jacob Grange, Cam Hutchinson, Max Everall, Charlie Edney, Luke Brabyn.

Nailsea & Tickenham: Jason Mellor, Ollie Carter, Tyler Manning, Hamish Hurst©, Oscar Pearce, Steve Kingdon, Jared Ford, Harry Pruett, Oscar Collins, Miles Hardidge, Luke Osgood.  Sibs: Jamie Smith, Joe Banks, Jordan Sole, Joe Bishop, Harvey Conroy.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattelot said:

All over him without punishment Dave.Lets hope for a strong referee on good Friday.

To be fair, it’s one of the perils of being a top striker these days - the Saturday before when I watched Helston v Brixham - Curtis Damerell was so closely marked, I wouldn’t have been surprised if the Brixham defender got in Curtis’ car for the trip home!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...