Cornwall Football Forum

3G Pitches- Possible Health Risk

Lot of discussion currently about the merits of 3G artificial pitches.

Attached is a link to a story concerning a study into them by Stirling University regarding the health risks associated with the "rubber crumb" technology, specifically the cancer risks associated with them.

This report calls for a ban on the use of rubber crumb on these surfaces in the UK, something which will come into affect within the EU from 2031.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crg69wrp9y8o

I believe the issue is the origin of the recycled rubber used to make the crumb. Obviously, recycled tyres are not pure rubber and can also be contaminated during their primary use. USA first highlighted the possible health issues when they discovered recycled tyres from an arsenic mine were being used to make the crumb. I would hope the industry in UK is better regulated!

Those pitches used in the US had carcinogenic rubber crumb and therefore a cancer risk. It was confirmed by the FA nearly 10 years ago that the crumb used on UK pitches was safe. At a meeting to try and get the astro through planning at Falmouth School a local Councellor decided to chuck that one in to stop the build. It didn’t work. 

Must admit I visited about 25 grounds in Wales last week who play in the top 3 tiers in the Cymru Premier, South and North and about 70% of them were 3G. Having watched a lot of football up Scotland over the last 20 odd years I would say about 50% of the pro clubs have them as well. Must admit to being a grass man myself but you can see the merits of them with the weather conditions and postponements we’ve had in the last couple of months and the value they provide to the local communities, can only see the positives in them in reality.