AFC St Austell        P-P      Holsworthy

Bude Town      1-1      St Dennis

Callington Town       P-P     Mullion

Liskeard Athletic      P-P     Wendron United

Penzance      1-1    Camelford

Truro City Reserves      P-P     Wadebridge Town

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 16 March 2024

PENZANCE 1 CAMELFORD 1
Penzance and Camelford fought out an entertaining draw at Penlee Park, both sides managing to put together some good moves on a heavy surface.
The Magpies welcomed back Mark Vercesi and Charlie Willis, but were rocked by the withdrawal of captain Tyler Tonkin during the warm-up. A decision to invite Ewan Trevains along for first team experience following the Reserve side's postponement was therefore fully vindicated, the teenager's name being hastily added to the team sheet.
Bolstered by the temporary return of a former startlet of their own, Ed Harrison now plying his trade for Tavistock in the Southern League, Camelford bossed the early stages with Ross Beare forcing Will Trenoweth into a good save.
Penzance first threatened when Silas Sullivan, captain in the absence of Tonkin, set up Jacob Trudgeon to fire just over. The wide man returned the favour, crossing for Sullivan to stretch Josh Colwill into a fine save. The Camelford keeper could not however deal with the pace of a vicious shot after half an hour, Trudgeon's angled drive squirming over the line.
The Magpies turned up two glorious opportunities to double the lead straight after the restart, Willis firing over after being set up by Ollie Butler, then Sullivan pulling a shot just wide. Thereafter, Camelford dominated and levelled when Brooklyn Wilkins converted a penalty after Vercesi fouled fellow veteran Mark Gusterson.
As substitutes for Kam Collins and Trudgeon respectively, Trevains and Daniel May, son of former Magpie Jowan, were handed their debuts as Penzance withstood intense Camelford pressure, and the sin-binning of Ollie Butler, to eke out a point.
“It was a battling performance,” said Penzance manager Ashley Waters. “I'm sure Camelford will be disappointed not to take the three points. However, for ourselves, it shows improvement in the parts of the game that are often forgotten. It wasn't pretty, but what we lacked in football the boys made up for with passion, commitment and work rate. It showed a stubborn side to this much improved group of players who kept going to the end.” 

Penzance: Will Trenoweth, Archie Reynolds, Alfie Turner, Ollie Butler, Mark Vercesi, Silas Sullivan, Jacob Trudgeon (Daniel May 78), Kam Collins (Ewan Trevains 62), Charlie Willis, James Butler, Rolandos Samnauskas. Unused subs: Ashley Mead, Charlie Palmer, Gareth Ireson-Ward
Camelford: Josh Colwill, Tom Crowe, Jack Chafer, Charlie Hambly, Sam Wade, Ed Harrison, Ross Beare (Eli Evans 67), Dan Metherall, Sam Watts (Olly Taylor 70), Mark Gusterson, Brooklyn Wilkins. Unused sub: Phil Brown
Referee: Nigel D’Arcy
Assistants: Alan Smith, Stuart Bowden
Attendance: 117

14 hours ago, Dave Grose said:

Wonder if Jon now realises u can't beat the weather lol

It was out of respect for St Dennis I wasn’t going to elaborate, but as you want to push the issue, I know more than anyone you can’t beat the rain, it was the fact that 10 days before our fixture I was told by somebody from St Dennis that the game was never going to go ahead due to your drainage issue, which was before this rain we’re having. I was frustrated as we tried hard to come up with a solution to play a game of football.

Penzance 1-1 Camelford

Camelford, still missing several players from their squad and showing signs of tiredness after their midweek 120min, were boosted by the addition of former Camels captain Ed Harrison in their starting lineup.

Despite having more possession and control of the ball in the first half, Camelford squandered several good chances to take the lead but couldn’t find the back of the net , forcing a few good saves from the Penzance keeper. An error from the Camels' goalkeeper in the 35th minute led to the opener. A poor throw out allowed the Penzance striker to take a shot at goal, which found the net. Colwill will probably feel he could have done better with the shot as well. Penzance had chances to double their lead but the team went in 1-0 at half time, and Camelford needed to regroup for the second half.

After halftime, Camelford applied constant pressure as they pushed to equalize. Their efforts paid off when Gusterson was brought down in the box by Vercesi. ‘The battle of the veterans’ . Wilkins stepped up and calmly slotted the ball down the middle to level the score.

Camelford continued to press for a winner, creating more very good chances, but the second goal eluded them. Penzance attempted a few counterattacks but lacked threat in the second half. With Penzance slowing the game down and wasting time as much as possible (smart game management) the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Disappointing point for the Camels as I would say they were the better team on the day, but missed opportunities, a costly mistake, and tired legs resulted in a fair draw, with credit to a young, in form Penzance who defended well throughout the game. 

On 17/03/2024 at 12:22, JonColenzo said:

It was out of respect for St Dennis I wasn’t going to elaborate, but as you want to push the issue, I know more than anyone you can’t beat the rain, it was the fact that 10 days before our fixture I was told by somebody from St Dennis that the game was never going to go ahead due to your drainage issue, which was before this rain we’re having. I was frustrated as we tried hard to come up with a solution to play a game of football.

Jon we've had rain nearly every day since November and we also had a dusting of snow on the pitch,no one is more annoyed than myself the committee and the players from our men's teams the ladies team and both our u16 teams,we will endeavour to do our best to get the works over the summer but there's not much time to get a pitch trenched gravelled piped more gravel terramed and covered in soil and seeded then have the seed grow into grass in a space of 40/50  days its going to be a full on job to get it done by us volunteers after we have done our daily jobs that's with out getting it in the neck off our families for not doing stuff with them etc,also I have no idea who u spoke to from St dennis mate but the fact is we want to play home games its just not feasible with the weather we've  had,can't get any machinery on it to try n help either.