Bishops Lydeard  P-P  Crediton United

Bridport   2-2  Elburton Villa                    

Cullompton Rangers 1-1 Bovey Tracey

Honiton Town  P-P   Torridgeside

Ivybridge Town  6-0  Axminster Town

Newton Abbot Spurs  P-P Okehampton Arg

Sidmouth Town    P-P Teignmouth

Torrington  P-P  Stoke Gabriel & Torbay Police

WEST                                                                                             

AFC St Austell     3-1  Launceston                    

Camelford         2-2     Newquay

Dobwalls     2-3  Callington Town

Holsworthy  1-2   St Dennis                            

Mullion     6-2    Bude Town                         

Penzance  0-2  Liskeard Athletic

Truro City Reserves 1-2 Bodmin Tn

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 20 January 2024
  • Dave Deacon pinned this topic

Harrison and I made the long trip to Mullion this afternoon and saw a bit of a goal fest. Unfortunately for us, heavily in favour of the hosts. 
A match played in difficult windy conditions, which Mullion coped with much better than Bude. 
The result imo is a fair reflection of the match. Bude were as poor as I’ve seen them in the couple of years I’ve been watching them. Just no rhythm to their game and the periods of play in which they were dominant they didn’t offer a great deal. Mullion took an early lead, increasing it before Bude pulled one back. The game was scrappy and very stop start however Mullion took advantage and got another couple before the break. 
The second half was another dour affair as no team took control in the blustery conditions. However much like the first have, Mullion got the better of the Bude defence, scoring a couple to put the game out of Budes reach before a consolation goal made it 6-2. 
A long way to go for a poor performance but the great thing about football is there is always next week. 

PENZANCE 0 LISKEARD ATHLETIC 2

An injury ravaged Penzance team, featuring three members of the Under-16s side, came within quarter of an hour of taking a point off league leaders Liskeard Athletic with courageous, backs-to-the-wall, resistance at a windy Penlee Park.

Injuries at Sticker in the last outing resulted in Mark Vercesi and Darryl Richards joining long-standing casualties Mikey Flores, Liam Andrew and Frazer Cadman on the side-lines. With Tyler Tonkin still abroad and Michael Fitchett working, teenage striker Dom Hodges, boasting three goals from four games at youth level this season, was thrown in at the deep end with a start up front.

The home side’s only clear opportunity of the first half though fell to a more seasoned campaigner. Rolandos Samnauskas, in the wide left role, was denied by a fine tip over save from Cory Harvey. Though Kam Collins put a half-chance wide after Ollie Butler had seen a shot blocked, Liskeard were generally on top with Dan Jennings missing their clearest opening – a point-blank range header – on the stroke of half-time.

Harvey denied Jacob Trudgeon just after the turn-around, but thereafter it was one-way traffic towards the Penzance goal. Macauley Thorp and Tyler Elliott both went close before Will Trenoweth pulled off a stunning save from Ruben Kane, set up by substitute Max Gilbert. Just when Penzance looked like they might hold out for a draw, stand-in captain Silas Sullivan, under pressure from Matt Outtram, had the misfortune to divert a vicious centre from the left into his own net. A second own-goal, from Collins five minutes later, handed a deserved but hard-earned win to the Blues.

“For over an hour today, today we matched Liskeard and the club can be so proud of these players,” said Penzance manager Ashley Waters on the final whistle. “Despite a massive injury list, the players have once again delivered showing total commitment.

In the end Liskeard showed why they are top of league and deserved the three points . They are a quality side with a top manager.”

In addition to Hodges, there were two other Penzance debuts to record. Gareth Ireson, as a half-time substitute, made his first appearance at Penlee Park having signed from St Day. And, replacing Archie Reynolds at right-back for the final seven minutes, 16 year-old Ashley Mead joins grandfather John and father Andrew in representing the Magpies first team.

Penzance: Will Trenoweth, Archie Reynolds (Ashley Mead 83), Alfie Turner (Lewis Hitchens 86), James Butler, Ollie Butler, Silas Sullivan (captain), Jacob Trudgeon, Kam Collins (Freddie Neaum 83), Rolandos Samnauskas, Dom Hodges (Gareth Ireson 46), Charlie Willis. Unused sub: Charlie Palmer

Liskeard: Cory Harvey, Josh McCabe, Matt Outtram, Harry Bell (captain), Macauley Thorp, Ruben Kane, Will Larsen (Max Gilbert 55), Finn Bartlett (Harry Jeffery 66), Will Gilbert, Dan Jennings (Lee Rundle 79), Tyler Elliott. Unused subs: Sam Borthwick, Bobby Hopkinson

Referee: Tom Anstice-Mitchell

Assistants: Neil Stephens, Tom Milburn

Attendance: 95

10 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Also, what’s going on with Bude? Last time I saw them they had River Allen, Kieran Parkin and Alfie Moulden lining up for them (and I don’t think that was a one off)? They looking to create a good side for next season now?

My guess is they are falling down the league like a sack of spuds and big names don’t want to turn up now 

10 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Also, what’s going on with Bude? Last time I saw them they had River Allen, Kieran Parkin and Alfie Moulden lining up for them (and I don’t think that was a one off)? They looking to create a good side for next season now?

Not sure anything is going on with them tbh. To me (and like everyone else on here I know exactly zero about how Bude run their club) they are picking a team from available players and are sitting around mid table in the league. 
Unless the business plan is to bankroll them to success, which clearly it isn’t then I’d say they are just getting on with it and still getting in a few people’s heads at the same time. Win Win 😉

15 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

My guess is they are falling down the league like a sack of spuds and big names don’t want to turn up now 

Now we all know that isn’t quite true. There are plenty of players for hire who turn out for whoever’s willing to pay them. Maybe, just maybe Bude aren’t the money machine everyone thinks they are? 

We will give Bude a warm welcome here in Newquay if the match goes ahead this Saturday if the pitch is not  waterlogged frozen or even worst have leaves on the pitch ,should be a good game both sets of teams will be issued with boxing gloves and knuckle dusters before the match . 

Everybody does seem to knock Bude so i hope they behave like Angels this coming Saturday . 

Bude have some very good players like the Hopcroft brothers great goalie in Liam Hill and they still got the Tornado in there squad what i didnt like about Bude they where paying silly money  for average players like they thought this Gabby Rogers would bring them sucess well he didnt last long but River Allen thats different he could win a game on his own he is a class   player . 

Ok people have a good week i hope to be up Newquay on Saturday but at the moment i feel like crap 

30 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

We will give Bude a warm welcome here in Newquay if the match goes ahead this Saturday if the pitch is not  waterlogged frozen or even worst have leaves on the pitch ,should be a good game both sets of teams will be issued with boxing gloves and knuckle dusters before the match . 

Everybody does seem to knock Bude so i hope they behave like Angels this coming Saturday . 

Bude have some very good players like the Hopcroft brothers great goalie in Liam Hill and they still got the Tornado in there squad what i didnt like about Bude they where paying silly money  for average players like they thought this Gabby Rogers would bring them sucess well he didnt last long but River Allen thats different he could win a game on his own he is a class   player . 

Ok people have a good week i hope to be up Newquay on Saturday but at the moment i feel like crap 

I’m sure the welcome will exactly like every team gives in this league, warm and welcoming. 
You let yourself down with the sly dig about the boxing gloves etc as if you’d watched Bude and not just listened to Chinese whispers, you’d know that of the 9 red cards (yes I know far too many), most have been for last man challenges and after that dissent towards the ref. I can’t actually remember seeing any violence? 
No getting away from the fact, 9 red cards is 9 too many, but let’s not kid ourselves that Bude kick teams up and down the park every week. That’s simply not the case. And as for the ill discipline towards the officials, they have got better and keep a lid on it, but I haven’t attended a single football match in over 50 years when the ref doesn’t get it tight. Not saying that’s right but again let’s not kid ourselves that Bude are any worse than anyone else. 

Watch now as Bude get 2 red cards for fighting at Newquay 😆

13 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

No disrespect to Liskeard but why is Tyler Elliott playing step 6 football? 

He’ll be playing Step 5 next season all being well 😉

46 minutes ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

I’m sure the welcome will exactly like every team gives in this league, warm and welcoming. 
You let yourself down with the sly dig about the boxing gloves etc as if you’d watched Bude and not just listened to Chinese whispers, you’d know that of the 9 red cards (yes I know far too many), most have been for last man challenges and after that dissent towards the ref. I can’t actually remember seeing any violence? 
No getting away from the fact, 9 red cards is 9 too many, but let’s not kid ourselves that Bude kick teams up and down the park every week. That’s simply not the case. And as for the ill discipline towards the officials, they have got better and keep a lid on it, but I haven’t attended a single football match in over 50 years when the ref doesn’t get it tight. Not saying that’s right but again let’s not kid ourselves that Bude are any worse than anyone else. 

Watch now as Bude get 2 red cards for fighting at Newquay 😆

You know it Scott! The ‘haters’ klaxon already sounding methnks! 😉

1 hour ago, Wetsuit said:

Callington. Mullion . Bodmin St Dennis Great results.  Well done.  Too much negativity on here about Bude   Weekly occurrence.    

Callington especially much improved this season using local lads, mostly with St Piran League experience previously. Great to see.

Good to see another local club to me - Lanson - improving too with an ethos on local talent. How good is Andy Watkins even in his late 30s? Competitive against the better sides too now. Neil Price knows his onions!

2 hours ago, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

He’ll be playing Step 5 next season all being well 😉

You know it Scott! The ‘haters’ klaxon already sounding methnks! 😉

Ha Ha. Yes sadly true. I guess if there isn’t much else going on in your life then taking pot shots at Bude probably is quite fulfilling 🤣😆😉

@Both SIdes of the Tamar is the St Austell Liskeard game temping you next weekend. Should be a good one. Not sure what I’m doing next weekend but if I’m free, I could be tempted to swerve the Bude game and watch this one. Both very good teams. Got 0-0 written all over it 🤣

After a disappointing result for camelford last weekend, the camels put that behind them after a hard fought point against an ever dangerous Newquay. 

Was not the prettiest of games played in swirling windy conditions, with camelford taking the lead in the opening stages after a poor clearance from the Newquay keeper fell to Beare on the half way line who’s clean strike found the back of the net with the keeper stranded out of his box. 

The rest of the half gave up very few chances with Newquay having the majority of the play but only looked threatening from corners which were all well defended by the camels. 

Second half was very similar to the first, with few chances for both teams. Newquay created 2 chances in the first 15 mins and scored 2 goals. First came from the Newquay winger driving in to the edge of the box from the left and releasing a shot which was well saved by the camels keeper  Colwill but with a Newquay striker being the first to react placed the ball home from 6 yards. The second goal coming on a Newquay counter attack ending in the ball being stroked home off the post into the camels net in a one on one situation with the keeper. 

Camels carried on battling but were not creating much, until reg brought on the deadly duo of Gusterson and Cardiff who started to threaten Newquay. With the last few minutes of the game and all heading towards a Newquay win the veteran striker Gus, linked up well with Cardiff. Cardiff fired an accurate shot from a very tight angle which somehow found its way past the Newquay keeper. 2-2 with only a minute left on the clock. 

Newquay would say they had more of the play but camelford’s fight and determination to gain a point was the main factor of the day. Fair result in my opinion. 

Thought the ref and his assistances were on top of the game for 90 minutes and were consistent throughout which is all you can ask.  

On 20/01/2024 at 22:26, James_Wright said:

PENZANCE 0 LISKEARD ATHLETIC 2

An injury ravaged Penzance team, featuring three members of the Under-16s side, came within quarter of an hour of taking a point off league leaders Liskeard Athletic with courageous, backs-to-the-wall, resistance at a windy Penlee Park.

Injuries at Sticker in the last outing resulted in Mark Vercesi and Darryl Richards joining long-standing casualties Mikey Flores, Liam Andrew and Frazer Cadman on the side-lines. With Tyler Tonkin still abroad and Michael Fitchett working, teenage striker Dom Hodges, boasting three goals from four games at youth level this season, was thrown in at the deep end with a start up front.

The home side’s only clear opportunity of the first half though fell to a more seasoned campaigner. Rolandos Samnauskas, in the wide left role, was denied by a fine tip over save from Cory Harvey. Though Kam Collins put a half-chance wide after Ollie Butler had seen a shot blocked, Liskeard were generally on top with Dan Jennings missing their clearest opening – a point-blank range header – on the stroke of half-time.

Harvey denied Jacob Trudgeon just after the turn-around, but thereafter it was one-way traffic towards the Penzance goal. Macauley Thorp and Tyler Elliott both went close before Will Trenoweth pulled off a stunning save from Ruben Kane, set up by substitute Max Gilbert. Just when Penzance looked like they might hold out for a draw, stand-in captain Silas Sullivan, under pressure from Matt Outtram, had the misfortune to divert a vicious centre from the left into his own net. A second own-goal, from Collins five minutes later, handed a deserved but hard-earned win to the Blues.

“For over an hour today, today we matched Liskeard and the club can be so proud of these players,” said Penzance manager Ashley Waters on the final whistle. “Despite a massive injury list, the players have once again delivered showing total commitment.

In the end Liskeard showed why they are top of league and deserved the three points . They are a quality side with a top manager.”

In addition to Hodges, there were two other Penzance debuts to record. Gareth Ireson, as a half-time substitute, made his first appearance at Penlee Park having signed from St Day. And, replacing Archie Reynolds at right-back for the final seven minutes, 16 year-old Ashley Mead joins grandfather John and father Andrew in representing the Magpies first team.

Penzance: Will Trenoweth, Archie Reynolds (Ashley Mead 83), Alfie Turner (Lewis Hitchens 86), James Butler, Ollie Butler, Silas Sullivan (captain), Jacob Trudgeon, Kam Collins (Freddie Neaum 83), Rolandos Samnauskas, Dom Hodges (Gareth Ireson 46), Charlie Willis. Unused sub: Charlie Palmer

Liskeard: Cory Harvey, Josh McCabe, Matt Outtram, Harry Bell (captain), Macauley Thorp, Ruben Kane, Will Larsen (Max Gilbert 55), Finn Bartlett (Harry Jeffery 66), Will Gilbert, Dan Jennings (Lee Rundle 79), Tyler Elliott. Unused subs: Sam Borthwick, Bobby Hopkinson

Referee: Tom Anstice-Mitchell

Assistants: Neil Stephens, Tom Milburn

Attendance: 95

Keep charging Blues!

23 hours ago, Wetsuit said:

Callington. Mullion . Bodmin St Dennis Great results.  Well done.  Too much negativity on here about Bude   Weekly occurrence.    

Huge results. Mullion, Bodmin and St Dennis must have all thought they'd get points on eachother though.

Agree with Bude, just leave them be. They are clearly a side that are hot and cold but can upset anyone (forum members included) on their day.

Press Release from Graham Hambly

Ivybridge Town 6, Axminster Town 0

JOINT manager Wayne Gamble promised that Ivybridge Town’s South West Peninsula League match against Axminster Town would prove a different proposition to last month’s League Cup clash and the players lived up to that prediction.

Axminster managed a 1-0 win on their previous visit to Erme Valley, but the return match on Saturday (Jan 20) saw Ivybridge gain a comfortable 6-0 victory to strengthen their position at the top of the East Division table.

It was Ivybridge’s fifth successive victory with three successive clean sheets which sees them 18 points clear of second placed Crediton, whose match was postponed on Saturday. Third placed Bridport are 21 points adrift after being held to a 2-2 draw at home to Elburton Villa.

Ivybridge were given an early boost in the 14th minute when full back Jake Lane opened the scoring with a great shot for his tenth goal of the season.

The turning point came on the half hour after Jack Alexander and Luke Forward switched wings with Alexander immediately a threat on the right as he set up two cracking opportunities in the space of a minute.

Recent signing Sean Thomson gratefully accepted the opportunity to fire home his first goal for the club in the 29th minute. Then, a minute later, leading scorer Forward ran in from the left to meet Alexander’s cross to score his 19th goal in 21 appearances to give Ivybridge a 3-0-lead. Alexander continued to pose a threat to the visitors and was rewarded with a goal of his own with an excellent shot in the 37th minute. There was more of the same after the interval with Alexander collecting his 14th goal of the season in the 56th minute.

Ivybridge took the opportunity to give minutes to all five substitutes and one of them, Owen Pritchard, cashed in within six minutes of his arrival to complete the scoring in the 71st minute. It was his first goal for the club in his third appearance – all three from the bench.

Taken all round it was a successful afternoon for Ivybridge and match sponsors, The Railway Inn of Albert Road in Plymouth.

The man of the match award went to defender Jordan Powell, who had brilliant game at the back to take the award ahead of the claims of Alexander with his two goals and three assists. Powell started at central defence alongside skipper Scott Pocock but switched to left back midway through the second half when Jake Lane made way for Josh Zimmerman, who came off the bench to resume his partnership with Pocock at the heart of defence.

Having players of such quality among the substitutes underlines the wealth of talent in the current Ivybridge squad.

The league leaders now face three away fixtures before their next home game against Okehampton on February 24.

On Saturday (Jan 27) they face a trip to Honiton followed by a blank Saturday on February 3. Then come visits to Torrington (Feb 10) and promotion rivals Bridport (Feb 17).

Joint manager Wayne Gamble post-match : “The boys were relentless. Jack Alexander ran Axminster ragged, scoring two goals and getting three assists while we had Sean Thomson and Rio Daly pulling the strings in midfield. Then we had our warrior defender Jordan Powell, who was our man of the match, showing just how important he is on and off the field.”