Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - SATURDAY 30 September 2023

Dave Deacon

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - SATURDAY 30 September 2023
21 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

And huge budgets for all 3. 

That is the reality of this league I'm afraid, playing resources and budget matter. 10 clubs in the NLS average 1000+ for their home attendances (Maidstone, Torquay and Yeovil significantly more than that), Truro are below 300 and at the bottom of that measure by a long way. Yeovil (for example) have a full time squad of 23 players, Truro could only name 4 subs v Chippenham (and Stewart Yetton was amongst those).

Keeping City up ,and ensuring NLS football for the hoped for return to Cornwall next August, will be Paul Wotton's biggest managerial achievement. 

9 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

That is the reality of this league I'm afraid, playing resources and budget matter. 10 clubs in the NLS average 1000+ for their home attendances (Maidstone, Torquay and Yeovil significantly more than that), Truro are below 300 and at the bottom of that measure by a long way. Yeovil (for example) have a full time squad of 23 players, Truro could only name 4 subs v Chippenham (and Stewart Yetton was amongst those).

Keeping City up ,and ensuring NLS football for the hoped for return to Cornwall next August, will be Paul Wotton's biggest managerial achievement. 

Agree with that. The only thing that bothers me about Paul is I feel every loss interview sounds the same.... we dominated and got done by a worldie or their only shots on target. Not sure what that says about the team tbh.

(Belated) Thoughts on City 0 Chipp Tn 2

This was comfortably the worst home performance of the season. However, along the same row in the stand were five key injured squad members. With a small squad to start with such absences are starting to bite, inevitably. For me this is the time for patience and backing those in white during what is / will be a difficult time. It is likely to get worse before it gets better.

A realistic view of the season would be mid-table would be a fine finish, with NLS status being retained the *only* real objective for the season, pending a return to Cornwall. Overall, having seen all but one home game and one away to date, I think the strongest starting XI is good enough for this league. The key will be how squad / fringe players perform. A few urgent loan signings from English pro clubs may be really key. To date I’ve seen no really poor teams in the league, but conversely  seen nothing that outstanding either.

Back to Saturday - too many sideways and backwards passes and not enough movement, hence leading to aimless passes that went astray. In general, a lack of pace in the team. Is confidence waining? I agree with WOTP, the post match responses from Wotton appear, especially after a loss, to lack awareness and recognition of how a game went. Last week was genuinely a case of not getting what the White Tigers deserved. Well his week they got what they deserved….. nothing. Chippenham were organised and competent. That is what I see in most teams opposing Truro. That the best effort from City at the weekend came on 90 minutes from a Greenslade header when the game had gone tells you what kind of game it was. Truro huffed and puffed second half with a dire lack of imagination and penetration.  A bad day’s work 😉

The ‘crowd’ was very disappointing. A cold miserable day for sure, but Argyle were already sold out and Chipp bought  maybe 30 supporters, there was probably a similar number of Argyle / Parkway onlookers, so barely a 100 home fans. Very disappointing. How on earth are Truro meant to compete with Yeovil, Torquay (even allowing for Gary Johnson’s ‘genius’) and some of the longer standing ambitious clubs in NLS? Let’s hope Paul Wotton can earn his corn and add to his impressive CV by getting City through this final season in Plymouth.