Cornwall Football Forum

Applications to get promoted.

Speaking to a lot of other clubs & followers of clubs. A lot have the question of how applying to go up a league would now look with the new leagues underway. 

Looking at the new leagues I am sure many teams are already looking ahead and planning to go into the division above, some very strong teams who can play a league or two higher than they are in. 

Am I correct in saying if you finish in a respectable position (1st to 5th) for example, you are able to apply for ‘promotion’?

42 minutes ago, Redstripe said:

Speaking to a lot of other clubs & followers of clubs. A lot have the question of how applying to go up a league would now look with the new leagues underway. 

Looking at the new leagues I am sure many teams are already looking ahead and planning to go into the division above, some very strong teams who can play a league or two higher than they are in. 

Am I correct in saying if you finish in a respectable position (1st to 5th) for example, you are able to apply for ‘promotion’?

I think applications are only for going from Division 1 to Prem.

I’m sure @Steve Carpenter has full details though 

The promotion and relegation arrangements are all laid down in League Rules which can be found in the library notice on the Full-Time home page.

Promotion to the SWPL from the Premier Divisions is  by application to the FA.  One team can be promoted from each division and must finish in the top 4 possibly 5.

Promotion to the Premier Divisions is by application and two teams can be promoted from each of the Division One's. To be eligible they must finish in the top 4 or the top 5 if a reserve team that cannot be promoted finishes in the top 4. 

The top two teams in each Division 2, 3 and 4 will be automatically promoted.

The bottom two teams in all divisions, bar the two Division 4's, will be relegated but the number of relegations will be reduced by the number of teams any given divsion is short by.  In the case of the Premier Divisions if there are no successful promotion applicants or relegation would reduce numbers below the required 14 for NLS Regional Feeder League status there would be no relegation. 

The bottom two in each Division 4 would need to apply for re-election.

In other words 2 up 2 down with adjustments for gaps and caveats between the D1's and Premier Divisions.

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, The Badger said:

What is the status of this for the 24/25 season? Has there been any applications for the prem and are there any deadlines? 

I heard on the grapevine Foxhole, St Blazey Reserves and Newquay Academy had applied for the East Prem. Looking at the table it's looking a foregone conclusion Newquay will miss out if two go up. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Badger said:

i see the relegation line has been removed from the prem east division, does this mean no clubs will go down? 

Eagle eyed! Imagine the FA want 16 teams in. Altarnun rock bottom but I did see they had a new manager in so maybe bounce back next see if they do stay in the division. 

Newquay's loss to Blazey in Div1 last night won't have done their top 4 and promotion hopes any favours with Kilk and Minver hot on their tail with games in hand so maybe only two up from the 3 applicants. 

3 hours ago, The Badger said:

i see the relegation line has been removed from the prem east division, does this mean no clubs will go down? 

Yes it has and no there won't be.  I don't know who set that there but it shouldn't have been there in the first place.  It's a relatively new feature I believe and not one we've used before.

1 hour ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Eagle eyed! Imagine the FA want 16 teams in. Altarnun rock bottom but I did see they had a new manager in so maybe bounce back next see if they do stay in the division. 

Newquay's loss to Blazey in Div1 last night won't have done their top 4 and promotion hopes any favours with Kilk and Minver hot on their tail with games in hand so maybe only two up from the 3 applicants. 

Nothing to do with the FA as such but everything to do with the league.  As NLS Regional Feeder Leagues (they are listed separately as such in Annex A to the NLS Regulations) both  Premier Divisions must have 14 teams when fixtures commence.  The constitution of the Premier Divisions is for 16 teams which gives that assurance and all things being equal that will certainly be the case in the East for 2024-25 season, perhaps not in the West but we'll see.  There's a bit of a way to go yet and any number of things can change between now and the seasons' end.

Interesting thanks for the update Steve.

What benefits do clubs being in the feeder league get? When we applied as North Petherwin it was to ensure regular competitive football and not because it was a 'feeder' league. For me clubs shouldn't have to apply for this league but simply have the required ground/facility standards to allow and then based on position move.  Having flows of ups and down are good and a must for the competitions as makes leagues more competitive and keeps its integrity. What I have witnessed over the years is teams being able to choose to be in a league or not moved to the correct the league their performances warrants and creates mini leagues within leagues which then doesn't help the bigger picture 

5 hours ago, The Badger said:

Interesting thanks for the update Steve.

What benefits do clubs being in the feeder league get? When we applied as North Petherwin it was to ensure regular competitive football and not because it was a 'feeder' league. For me clubs shouldn't have to apply for this league but simply have the required ground/facility standards to allow and then based on position move.  Having flows of ups and down are good and a must for the competitions as makes leagues more competitive and keeps its integrity. What I have witnessed over the years is teams being able to choose to be in a league or not moved to the correct the league their performances warrants and creates mini leagues within leagues which then doesn't help the bigger picture 

Feeder leagues have to be in place to provide a pathway to the NLS at Step 6 for clubs with ambitions to progress and provide the highest level of County football.  There are about 50 across the country.  As a feeder we also get £3k per season from the FA as an admin grant which helps keep the costs down for all clubs.  We used to get a League Development Grant to pay for various initiatives but that was stopped after the first season.

As you probably know, today was the deadline for clubs to send in proposed rule changes for next season.  3 clubs have done so.  There are a number of other tweaks that will be discussed at our committee meeting on Monday before being circulated to the clubs. One of those covers amended arrangements for promotion to the Premier Divisions which will become automatic for those clubs whose grounds meet the criteria and who finish in promotion positions.  To enable that a programme of ground grading of those Division 1 clubs that need one is nearing completion with only 4 clubs yet to be visited.  Those Division 2 clubs promoted at the end of the season will have a grading visit early in the new season, possibly earlier. 

These are the sort of things we can do now that everything is under one umbrella.