Praze-An-Beeble Reserves   0-1           Dropship

St Day 3rds      0-6      Wendron United 4th Team

Group H

St Ives Town Reserves        2-1      Perranwell Res

ARTHUR PEARCE CUP

Constantine Res       0-2      Wendron United 5th

Troon Reserves    1-2             Dropship Reserves

Newlyn Non-Athletico 3 v 11 West Cornwall

WC totally dominated the early stages, and deservedly built a decent lead by half time (7 or 8 up). NNA composed themselves at half time, and although WC probably dropped off the pace a bit, a more even second half where the home team restored a bit of pride.

Learnt something. One of the first half goals should have been disallowed. I was running the line. Ball is out wide right, attacker beats defender and plays ball across the area. Attacker receiving the ball was in an offside position, has to retreat slightly to get to the cross, controls it and fires home. I raise the flag for offside. Lots of shouting (as usual), but “ball went backwards, can’t be offside” was being said. Ref comes over. I told him the scorer was clearly offside when ball was played. But (potentially influenced by the shouting), he asked if the ball went backwards. In my opinion, from running at full pelt and keeping an eye on every eventuality - throw in, offside, corner - I said at best it was parallel, or forward, I do not believe it went backwards. He says the if the ball went backwards or parallel, it can’t be offside. New one on me. So I said go with parallel and he gives the goal. I’ve done a bit of research, and it matters not what direction the ball travels, if the players is offside when the ball is played, he is offside. So goal should not have stood. Unless I am missing something (recent change to the laws etc).

Prem

Stithians 3-2 Threemilestone.

A lovely day up the Stithians showground absolutely no wind and a wonderful sunshine.

We started brightly had a couple good chances but failed to score. TMS had alot of ball without really threatening.  We finally broke the deadlock as a through ball by Howard Vague was poked home by Peter Blight for 1-0.  Threemilestone come back into it and equalised after a defensive mistake was capitalised on by the winger to make it 1-1. We regained the lead just before half time after some pin ball in the penalty area was smashed in by Blight for his second of the game. 2-1 HT

Second half started TMS having Abit more of the ball trying for an equaliser but Stithians looked dangerous on the break. And in the 60th minute we made it 3-1 after good work from Howard Vague down the left twisting and turning finally crossing for Peter Blight to bundle home for his hat trick.  TMS then pushing to get back in the game we were defending well but in the 75th minute the TMS midfielder smashed in a rocket into the top corner. TMS kept pushing for an Equaliser but Stithians defended well to earn the win.

A good end to the season for us picking up a couple wins and a few better performances. We ran out of games to stay up but who no's what's going to happen with the new leagues.  One last game to go in the cup final.

All the best to TMS and thanks for coming back to the pub after. 

6 hours ago, Mangle said:

Newlyn Non-Athletico 3 v 11 West Cornwall

WC totally dominated the early stages, and deservedly built a decent lead by half time (7 or 8 up). NNA composed themselves at half time, and although WC probably dropped off the pace a bit, a more even second half where the home team restored a bit of pride.

Learnt something. One of the first half goals should have been disallowed. I was running the line. Ball is out wide right, attacker beats defender and plays ball across the area. Attacker receiving the ball was in an offside position, has to retreat slightly to get to the cross, controls it and fires home. I raise the flag for offside. Lots of shouting (as usual), but “ball went backwards, can’t be offside” was being said. Ref comes over. I told him the scorer was clearly offside when ball was played. But (potentially influenced by the shouting), he asked if the ball went backwards. In my opinion, from running at full pelt and keeping an eye on every eventuality - throw in, offside, corner - I said at best it was parallel, or forward, I do not believe it went backwards. He says the if the ball went backwards or parallel, it can’t be offside. New one on me. So I said go with parallel and he gives the goal. I’ve done a bit of research, and it matters not what direction the ball travels, if the players is offside when the ball is played, he is offside. So goal should not have stood. Unless I am missing something (recent change to the laws etc).

Check highlighted part.

If any part of the attacking player is further forward than the ball and second last defender (including goalkeeper), it's offisde. If the ball and attacker are level  - onside. If the attacker is behind the ball - onside.

Your referee appears correct in law based on your interpretation.  If your of the inclination to research topics like this, I recommend reading up about the flash lag effect. It basically proves that in that split second when the ball is played and an attacker appears marginally offside, it's extremely likely that he/she is actually onside. I was actually quite intrigued when taught about it.

Screenshot_20230416_221816_LawsoftheGame.thumb.png.073ad8997b67d5d59e97dd0ec947066b.png

8 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Check highlighted part.

If any part of the attacking player is further forward than the ball and second last defender (including goalkeeper), it's offisde. If the ball and attacker are level  - onside. If the attacker is behind the ball - onside.

Your referee appears correct in law based on your interpretation.  If your of the inclination to research topics like this, I recommend reading up about the flash lag effect. It basically proves that in that split second when the ball is played and an attacker appears marginally offside, it's extremely likely that he/she is actually onside. I was actually quite intrigued when taught about it.

Screenshot_20230416_221816_LawsoftheGame.thumb.png.073ad8997b67d5d59e97dd0ec947066b.png

Thanks. However, I believe the decision was incorrect, and it was offside. The ball went “parallel”. The player was not parallel, he was 2 yards offside. He had to retreat to get to the ball. The decision on the day was influenced by the direction of the ball, which I now find to be irrelevant. It is the players position that define on or offside.

The “flash lag effect” sounds interesting. Might read up about that. I’ve done a lot of running the line over years, sometimes a virtually impossible and thankless task!!