SOUTHERN LEAGUE

PREMIER SOUTH

Bracknell Town    3-2        Hendon

Hayes & Yeading United    0-0     Swindon Supermarine

Metropolitan Police        0-0        Weston-super-Mare

North Leigh          1-2        Plymouth Parkway

Poole Town          3-0        Truro City

Winchester City    1-0        Yate Town

Very tough looking Tuesday night trip to Oxfordshire for Parkway against a North Leigh side that, despite being bottom of the table, have won 3 of their last 5 league matches. 

It will be a case of "big hearts and strong minds being needed" (to quote Alan Hansen) if Parkway are going to come back home in the early hours of Wednesday morning with anything. Memories of the 4,0 reverse against then bottom side Yate when they went there on a Tuesday night back in October will still be fresh in the minds, and a reminder of what happens if you aren't totally tuned in mentally and physically.

Not any easier for Truro either, 5th placed Poole are unbeaten at home in the league since they lost to Salisbury at their place back in August.

14 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Beats me how all the players get time off their jobs to go to these midweek evening matches! 

Many of the Truro players will be on contracts, and several of the Parkway players are (the money from this is meant as some compensation for having to take unpaid leave), some will have to take it out of their annual leave entitlement and others will have understanding bosses who let them move their hours around. If you're self employed, you just lose money I guess.  Make no mistake though, non league football at this level is a huge commitment. Not just the playing, but also the twice a week training sessions. 

I currently work with someone who has refereed at various levels up to step 1, and has been an assistant in the Football League. That required similar levels of dedication , especially for midweek games.

5 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Beats me how all the players get time off their jobs to go to these midweek evening matches! 

I remember many years ago ,the then Liskeard captain used to work for me at Princess Yachts.  He used to do shift work and either used holidays or would have to swap shifts. Sometimes he would have to miss the match.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 21 February 2023

Bracknell Town  3 - 2 Hendon

Hayes & Yeading United 0 - 0 Swindon Supermarine

Metropolitan Police 0 - 0 Weston-super-Mare

North Leigh 1 - 2 Plymouth Parkway 

Poole Town 3 - 0 Truro City

Winchester City 1 - 0 Yate Town

All I'll say is, at least WSM drew their match. 

If you want attendance numbers, you can find them here (the page where I copied the results): https://southern-football-league.co.uk/Results/All/All/2022/2023/P/Southern League Premier South/

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Great away win for parkway.   Terrible night for Truro losing to Poole who parkway hammered a few weeks back. Strange league. 

Shows how competitive this league is, and that points can easily be dropped on the road in midweek. Huge win for Parkway at North Leigh, the last 3 long Tuesday night trips have brought 7 points from a possible 9. Says a lot regarding the preparedness of the coaching staff, plus the attitude and togetherness amongst the squad.

See that Weston could only manage a goalless draw at the Met Police. Race for play off spots is super tight, with even 12th placed Tiverton thinking they can get involved. As Parkway gradually eat  away at their games in hand, they are only 2 points behind them..

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Poole Town getting a decent crowd over 300. The rest of the crowds for that level are no better or worse than the South West Peninsula league. 

Certainly some pretty poor gates in the Southern Prem South. Only 4 clubs manage over 500 average attendances (Weston, Gosport, Parkway and Merthyr) down to Met Police who average 129.(although they are partially funded by the Met Police lottery and the large social club and conference/hospitality facilities at Imber Court. They don't pay their players beyond expenses either).