Cornwall Football Forum

Yate 4 Parkway 0

10 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Parkway's recent run of improved results brought to a juddering halt by a 4-0 thumping at the hands of Yate, who they now replace at the bottom of the league. Defeat away to strugglers Harrow on Saturday and it will start to feel like they are in a relegation battle.

Start ? Think they already are to be fair. 
A  Very bad result against the bottom team in that league . Only 3 players on the bench 2 young lads and a defender so nothing that going to change the game , and That’s the big problem , the squad isn’t big enough or good enough to compete in that league. 
as much as people believe parkway are swimming in money I understand the budget is one of lowest in that league so the young loan player will have to jump straight in and help get the team out of this slump. Saturday is another long difficult trip to London ,Lee will have to pick them up 

tough times at the minute 

10 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

In my opinion, if they can stay in the league it’ll be a successful season.

It would be now. That shouldn’t have been their initial aim at the start of the season. Surprised to see that score line last night after they looked to have been turning the corner slowly. Still think they’ll be alright, squad looking very thin currently (who’s still to come back?)

I don’t buy the “one of the lowest budgets” comment either. Yes I’m sure there are bigger spenders however Parkway can attract and offer money to the majority of the best players within this region. (Even have a lad from Bristol on their books)

The difference in budgets from this league to last year is huge.  I mean western super mare have a striker on the books who on about 1500 a game. 
if parkway could offer money to anyone then half the current Truro team would be in yellow.  The squad is to small you need quality players everywhere players to come on and change a game. 
I do agree if they can put some wins together and stay up that will be huge achievement 

Think you missed my point (I probably explained it terribly)

I know clubs have a bigger budget than Parkway (finally 😉) but I think the budget they have is adequate to attract the vast majority of players in Devon and Cornwall. I couldn’t see Tavistock/Bideford/Western League clubs offering more money.

A tough learning curve but I still think they’ll survive and look to kick on next season.

Several people did express concern at the start of the season that the squad looked light on numbers and quality, especially for a 42 game league season. The contrast between Truro having a full bench last night with plenty of experienced playing options, plus several who didn't even feature in the matchday squad, and Parkway only naming 3 subs for Tuesday's match (effectively only 2 as Callum Rose wasn't fit enough to start) was stark. I know that there is a budget to work within, but it does smack a bit of hoping to get away with it. Last season, in what was only a 36 game season, Parkway were able to get away with a relatively small squad through a lack of injuries, pulling in cover players and also utilising the semi retired Shane Krac and Jamie Lowry at times. Injuries, loss of form and various absences and unavailability at the season's start have been a factor this time around, it does feel like the luck ran out (cannot get my head around step 3, contracted, players being able to go on holiday in the season though). Have noticed that registered squad players from the under 18's, Jacob Smith and Callum Bleasdale, have been playing for Torpoint and Saltash recently. Don't know if they could have been utilised to fill up the subs bench.

Going into Saturday's match Billy Palfrey is back from suspension, Callum Rose may shake off his injury along with hopefully Dan Rooney, and they may get Rio Garside back from his absence.  So there may be a bit of scope to shuffle the pack. And, as ever, a win from this game, will lighten the mood considerably going into two home games in rapid succession against Hendon and Tiverton. 

On 13/10/2022 at 09:42, Tavi Fan said:

Think you missed my point (I probably explained it terribly)

I know clubs have a bigger budget than Parkway (finally 😉) but I think the budget they have is adequate to attract the vast majority of players in Devon and Cornwall. I couldn’t see Tavistock/Bideford/Western League clubs offering more money.

A tough learning curve but I still think they’ll survive and look to kick on next season.

I think this is the key - their budget doesn't need to be the biggest (or even, necessarily, competitive) within the league. It just needs to be competitive within the region, and it clearly is. The likes of Tiverton, Dorchester, Truro won't be spending significantly more than them, so they should be able to compete for the best players in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset, and there's more than enough ability there to build a competitive Step Three side.

Their budget doesn't need to compete with the likes of Weston, Poole, Chesham, Hayes & Yeading etc, they're not shopping in the same player pool.

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

Just noticed on Twitter that Helston have announced the signing on a Dual-registry basis of Reece Shanley.  Not sure if he will now prioritise Helston over Parkway.

To be honest, he won't be missed at Parkway (Helston don't fancy Tyler Ashmead as well do they?).

Announcement of a couple of new signings have been trailed ahead of tomorrow's tough looking trip to Harrow. Rumours also flying around yesterday about a high profile player departure (which I won't repeat).

1 hour ago, GRTourist said:

Their budget doesn't need to compete with the likes of Weston, Poole, Chesham, Hayes & Yeading etc, they're not shopping in the same player pool.

The problem will always be that it is a pretty shallow pool of step 3 capable players in the Devon area. Truro have most of them at the moment, Tiverton and Parkway are fighting over what's left.

Heard that Chesham and Hayes have decent budgets, but Met Police, Hanwell, Harrow and Hendon pay little beyond travel expenses. Difference between those clubs and the Devon ones is that there are a lot more players to choose from in the area.

1 hour ago, GRTourist said:

I think this is the key - their budget doesn't need to be the biggest (or even, necessarily, competitive) within the league. It just needs to be competitive within the region, and it clearly is. The likes of Tiverton, Dorchester, Truro won't be spending significantly more than them, so they should be able to compete for the best players in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset, and there's more than enough ability there to build a competitive Step Three side.

Exactly my point, well summed up.

Looks as if Toby Stephens from Yeovil Town is now registered with them too so assuming he’s joining on loan.

57 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Exactly my point, well summed up.

Looks as if Toby Stephens from Yeovil Town is now registered with them too so assuming he’s joining on loan.

The player needs to be given a chance, but is he any better than what Parkway currently have?

Looked like his loan spell at Truro was cut short, and he spent last season loaned at Barnstaple and Hemel Hempstead. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The player needs to be given a chance, but is he any better than what Parkway currently have?

Looked like his loan spell at Truro was cut short, and he spent last season loaned at Barnstaple and Hemel Hempstead. We'll see.

Do Parkway need more attackers? Seem to need strengthening at the back to me…

6 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Do Parkway need more attackers? Seem to need strengthening at the back to me…

Talking of strengthening at the back, Adam Parkes (Argyles 3rd choice keeper) also now registered. Wouldn't think that he would be loaned to Parkway to sit on the bench. Of course, Kyle Moore could be injured or suspended (he does accumulate yellow cards).

12 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Talking of strengthening at the back, Adam Parkes (Argyles 3rd choice keeper) also now registered. Wouldn't think that he would be loaned to Parkway to sit on the bench. Of course, Kyle Moore could be injured or suspended (he does accumulate yellow cards).

In fairness I don’t watch Parkway but most goals conceded in the league suggest they’re having issues at the back.

You’re  right, I’d be amazed if he’s been loaned to sit on the bench. 

3 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Parkway desperate need a keeper and he joined till January when I expect cooper at argyle is rumoured to move on. 
he won’t be there to sit on the bench so maybe your see Kyle Moore move on Loan somewhere like Tom bath did last season. 
defence is the area that needs strengthening, 

Did Kyle Moore need replacing? Always thought of him to be a good vocal keeper but no idea how he’s performed recently.

26 minutes ago, Buckland Jim said:

We certainly benefited from Rob Farks departure from Bolitho, been a rock for us since he joined. 

Rob Farkins was a great player and clubman for Parkway in his time at Bolitho, but his powers were undoubtedly on the wane and an upgrade was needed for step 4 (which Callum Rose  provided). Thought the manner in which his leaving the club was handled could have been done better, he deserved more considering the contribution he made and his popularity with supporters. Contrast that with Shane Krac's departure and the way the club treated that.

5 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Parkway desperate need a keeper and he joined till January when I expect cooper at argyle is rumoured to move on. 
he won’t be there to sit on the bench so maybe your see Kyle Moore move on Loan somewhere like Tom bath did last season. 
defence is the area that needs strengthening, 

Parkway have tweeted Kyle Moore no longer at the club, doesn't say where he's gone though. 

To be fair he struggled a lot this season. Made a fair few errors and not looked as commanding as he was a few years ago.  
I know the club have been actively looking for a new keeper for a while. 
As mentioned above  when lee thinks your tone at club is up he will get rid. Bigger names then Kyle have come and gone.  
im sure he do well locally somewhere 

6 minutes ago, Box 2 Box said:

My money would be on Mousehole , Ollie Chenoweth seems out of favour and they are relying on a youngster , if they have aspirations of promotion then a solid GK is a must. That said Saltash would also be a contender as would Helston 🤣 

Think that Mousehole's number one and two keepers (Chenoweth and Piran Jones) are both out injured. Helston would be my favourites, have no idea what has happened to Cory Harvey. Saltash would be a surprise destination, gather that Jordan Duffey is very highly regarded there (meant that the long standing Ashes number one, Ryan Rickard, has gone to Millbrook).

The post Yate clear out continues as Tyler Ashmead departs. Seemed a strange signing back in the summer, missed chunks of pre season through injury and has been distinctly underwhelming when played. Leaves only one right back in the squad in Harrison King, who is loan from Exeter and can be recalled at any time, which would suggest more new arrivals are imminent.

Think ashmead was signed on the basis he had a superb game against parkway and Lee kept tabs on him and the Bristol location thinking was the location for away games. . It didn’t work out tho. Missed loads of training and games injured and never really looked on form. Also  meant Lee had to get in shanley in another that wasn’t quite up to it and went back to helston 

seems to be a problem area . And yet again loans propping up the team. 

Now Mike Landricombe has left the club, the fourth departure in the week since the Yate debacle. Club legend, one of the best players I saw in the yellow shirt at Bolitho. Has been a calm, solid and very effective presence at the back, and also good enough to look impressive at full back/wing back, central midfield and even upfront (as he did for Tiverton a few times). Did fear though that this would be a step and season too far for him.

Will take a bit of replacing, which will be a tall order for a club at the wrong end of the table at this time of the season.

Heard rumours for a while Mike might depart. A great player but his age and the step up he has looked not quite up to it.  I think the yate defeat made Lee do some proper thinking and the people  that have gone as good as they been for the club in the past each  have struggled this season.  
the team is evolving but Lee does need some permanent players in. 
i notice a fair bit of sponsorship has come in the last couple of weeks maybe help with increasing the player budget 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Heard rumours for a while Mike might depart. A great player but his age and the step up he has looked not quite up to it.  I think the yate defeat made Lee do some proper thinking and the people  that have gone as good as they been for the club in the past each  have struggled this season.  
the team is evolving but Lee does need some permanent players in. 
i notice a fair bit of sponsorship has come in the last couple of weeks maybe help with increasing the player budget 

I know that it has been a big step for Parkway, and yes, the team does need to evolve and develop, but it is worrying that this is going on when (let's be honest) Parkway are going to be in a battle to stay up. Three of the departures this campaign were only brought in during the summer (Theo Simpson, Tyler Ashmead and Reece Shanley), which does call into question some of the decisions that were made regarding player recruitment and retention.

The most recent seasons for Parkway have involved a significant loss and bad performance, which has then precipitated a rethink, change of playing style and personnel, and the season has then kicked on afterwards (back to back defeats away to Melksham and Evesham last October were followed by a run to the league title). Lee Hobbs has been courageous enough in the past to the make the big changes, and has been completely vindicated. Hoping this is the case again.

3 hours ago, golong said:

Very difficult when you get many clubs fishing in the same pond, albeit a small one. Parkway have progressed through the ranks with the same core of players and this step-up looks to be one too far perhaps - I hope they can turn it around! 

Hasn’t stopped them in recent seasons with more teams in the same pond!!

1 minute ago, Tavi Fan said:

Hasn’t stopped them in recent seasons with more teams in the same pond!!

Edit to add..

Or when they’ve had far more money than the local sides they’ve been competing with.