Cornwall Football Forum

New team - Redruth United ladies

29 minutes ago, I guarantee said:

Rumour has it the girls are too loyal to leave 

Will this jeopardise there recruitment 

I caught up with a friend of mine today in waitrose of all places and he said that a lady from a team he is associated  with received an SMS from the club. I know of two other people that help run female teams in the count and they also said their players had received smss from Redruth. Whilst I personally am a fan of all football I don't like to see clubs downfall come at the cost of another clubs achievements If that makes sense. I should probly say that this is all word of mouth from the club's as I don't know anybof the ladies personally toask

16 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I've been told in the past that poaching has gone on in the men's game for years. It's frustrating and I hope that the ladies don't copy the men's game in other areas as well. But - why bring this poaching subject up at all, just when the ladies game is beginning to get on it feet ? 

Because I know that poaching from other ladies teams is happening here. 

It does happen in mens football and this is why mens football is in such a state. 

Let’s hope the ladies sides don’t start this 

Let us hope with this new team is given time to settle down. 

Years ago the ladies set up, country-wide was well established with good strong sides, and then it exploded with clubs being set up here, there and everywhere 

Overall this weakened the game and because there were not enough players around, clubs folded, players were pinched, money crept into it, etc 

This didn't help at all and ruined it and for several seasons the ladies game suffered.

Thankfully in the last two to three season, only one or two clubs are forming and they are slowly taking up the "slack" due to new players taking up the game again. 

We can point to men's Vets football suffering the same fate with long established clubs like Vintage Brew, etc folding as their game went to big too quick and became unsustainable. Sunday football the same. The players are out there but we need to rebuild slowly. 

Anyone agree? 

6 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Let us hope with this new team is given time to settle down. 

Years ago the ladies set up, country-wide was well established with good strong sides, and then it exploded with clubs being set up here, there and everywhere 

Overall this weakened the game and because there were not enough players around, clubs folded, players were pinched, money crept into it, etc 

This didn't help at all and ruined it and for several seasons the ladies game suffered.

Thankfully in the last two to three season, only one or two clubs are forming and they are slowly taking up the "slack" due to new players taking up the game again. 

We can point to men's Vets football suffering the same fate with long established clubs like Vintage Brew, etc folding as their game went to big too quick and became unsustainable. Sunday football the same. The players are out there but we need to rebuild slowly. 

Anyone agree? 

Not really Teddyboy, the interest in football,  and most local participant sports is in decline and wont be turning around anytime soon! 

Great to see any additional new team on board if it increases the number of functioning teams in Cornwall. 

However (and not specifically directed at Redruth but more general), my concern when a club currently has no female provision of its own, is what are they bringing to the table?   Why do they want to form a women’s team? Is it just a box-ticking exercise to get them a better FA accreditation?  Under the old “grow the game” system then of course there were financial incentives.  

So with no female provision already or pathway from youth football, unless a club has a pool of players itching to start playing, starting a new team from scratch runs the risk of being at the detriment of another club just up the road.  

I wish Redruth well, but I do hope this isn’t at the expense of other clubs. 

9 hours ago, AmberArmy said:

Great to see any additional new team on board if it increases the number of functioning teams in Cornwall. 

However (and not specifically directed at Redruth but more general), my concern when a club currently has no female provision of its own, is what are they bringing to the table?   Why do they want to form a women’s team? Is it just a box-ticking exercise to get them a better FA accreditation?  Under the old “grow the game” system then of course there were financial incentives.  

So with no female provision already or pathway from youth football, unless a club has a pool of players itching to start playing, starting a new team from scratch runs the risk of being at the detriment of another club just up the road.  

I wish Redruth well, but I do hope this isn’t at the expense of other clubs. 

Got it in one.

• 1 month later...