Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance Reserves 2-1 Illogan RBL

This game was re-arranged by Illogan RBL as they wanted a hard match before their League Cup semi-final against Helston on Sunday.

Both teams won their previous matches but Penzance had the added pressure of needing to win this match to gain points in their relegation battle.

Penzance were boosted by the inclusion of four first teamers – James Street, Paul Cox, Stevie Burt and Liam Devine. Illogan played the team they hoped to use in their cup match.

The evening was perfect for football being dry but chilly.

The ref starts the match and Illogan come at Penzance from the off. Their pace is almost frantic. Perhaps the idea was to get a couple of quick goals then settle back and soak up the pressure.

Penzance are forced to commit a series of petty fouls and from one of them on the half-way line they float one in. Their player turns and shoots just wide of the post. Next they break down their left, float the ball in high but Damien Norman in the Penzance goal punches it away and the ball is cleared upfield.

Penzance first chance comes on 12mins when a free kick from mid-field is headed clear by the Illogan defence.

A couple of minutes later Alfie Turner goes on a run down the Illogan right, beats two players in the box but shoots into the side netting.

Illogan are pushing forward and their back line are playing the off-side trap ably helped by their linesman who seemed flag happy the whole match.

Penzance push the ball through the middle and their keeper sprints out 35yds to bring down Paul Cox. He gets booked but it looked a little like last man so he was lucky. Paul Cox takes the free kick but blasts it wide.

In the 25min Penzance break through again with Marcus Smith picking up the ball 40yds out. He runs down the left channel and shoots low from the edge of the box. The keeper bends down to save the ball but it curls round his hands into the bottom corner of the net. 1-0 to Penzance.

Illogan get a corner but it is headed high over the bar.

The game settles down for a while but Penzance break through again but the keeper runs 30yds to foil the attack.

A Penzance free kick on their right is floated in but the Illogan keeper makes a clean grab.

H-T

At the start of the 2nd half Illogan push forward leaving a large gap between their back four and keeper who acts like a sweeper at times. Their linesman is still a little flag happy.

Penzance get a corner but the chance is wasted.

Illogan come straight back at Penzance. They work the ball down their left but the resulting low shot is grabbed on the ground by Damien.

On 56mins Penzance double their lead. Alfie Turner works down the Penzance right, accelerates to the goaline, crosses and Marcus Smith blasts the ball past the keeper whilst under pressure from 6yds out. 2-0 to Penzance and Penzance supporters among the crowd of 58 were starting to believe that the Magpies might be climbing off the bottom of the table.

More Penzance pressure around the Illogan box shows that they are vulnerable under pressure.

Then Illogan seem to wake themselves up as 5mins later they pull a goal back. Illogan work down their left, cross but the ball comes out. It’s put in again Simon Ellis volleys in from 6yds out. 2-1 in the 63min.

Jack Liddicoat makes a run and meets a pinpoint diagonal ball but shoots wide with a low shot from the edge of the box.

Penzance get a corner. Stevie Burt puts a long one in. Jack Liddicoat shoots at the back post but it is deflected away for another corner. The next corner is cleared.

Illogan substitute their keeper.

Illogan player booked for dissent.

Zak Podd comes on for Alfie Turner who has run himself into the ground for the Penzance cause.

Illogan start pressing forward looking for the equalizer.

Penzance have a fantastic chance to increase their lead when they break 2 on 1. Paul Cox runs down the right with the player beaten. Marcus Smith is open in the middle but Paul’s cross spins off into the keeper’s arms.

In the 81st min Illogan come on the offensive and work their way into the box. They are forced wide but their player goes down in the box and the ref points to the spot. Liam Devine gets booked for a bit of afters as he reacts to being stood on whilst on the ground.

Gareth Pitt steps up to take the spot kick and blasts it high.

Damien gets booked for swearing at Pitt.

Penzance get a free kick. The ball is floated in, Paul Cox runs onto it, shoots but the keeper drops onto it.

Adam Thomas replaces Paul Cox.

Illogan have a final push for the equalizer. The ball is floated high into the Penzance box. The keeper loses it and a shoot from 6yds out is blocked on the line.

Charlie Pearce comes on for Jack Liddicoat.

The final action of the match sees Illogan attacking. They get a corner, float the ball over but the resulting header is cleared off the line.

Game Over.

Penzance- Damien Norman, Darren Ball, Liam Devine, James Street, Jack Liddicoat, Sam Long, Danny Michael, Alfie Turner, Steve Burt, Marcus Smith, Paul Cox

Subs- Zak Podd (for Turner), Adam Thomas (for Cox), Charlie Pearce (for Liddicoat), Craig Nicholls.

Illogan – from Dan Burrows, Sam Fenton, Matt Callaway, Jason Roberts, Josh Kemp, Musa Saby, Gary Sturmey, Ryan Cooper, Gareth Pitt, Rob Bray, Darren Burchell, Simon Ellis, Mark Miller, Shaun Carter, Aaron Gayle

Crowd 58.

Corners Penzance 3-4 Illogan. 0-2 1st half.

Penzance up to their highest league position since 13th October.

not a bad write up, shame your striker stood offside most of the game! maybe the reason why our linesman was a little flag happy! not making any excuses as we were beaten fair and square, but who the hell is that referee, never seen him before but what a total disgrace! hew wasnt even up with play and missed so much! well done to penzance, all the best for the rest of the season! hopefully things will change for us on sun!

You make my first goal sound good!! thanks!!

i have to admit i was extrememly lucky it went in, i changed my mind as struck it and ended up dragging it to the near post!!! still every goal counts!!!

Good win lads, lets build on it!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

not a bad write up, shame your striker stood offside most of the game! maybe the reason why our linesman was a little flag happy! not making any excuses as we were beaten fair and square, but who the hell is that referee, never seen him before but what a total disgrace! hew wasnt even up with play and missed so much! well done to penzance, all the best for the rest of the season! hopefully things will change for us on sun!

i spoke to your lino at end of match (aaron as i went coll wiv him) and he admitted he was flaggin alot and did make a few mistakes Prazeno8!! (im guessin thats willy??)

as for standing offside?? i was playing off your last man, but your left back was never pushing up wen mussa was sayin step up hence keeping me onside-which aaron did keep flaggin for

as for the ref, i personally thought he had an alrite game compared to some refs, he has been reffing along time and i think im rite in saying he sometimes refs south western footy-i think thats where i seen him

ok smithy you were obviously in a better position to see yourself, as it was me who was last man and calling for the offside all the time, maybe he did get one or maybe two wrong but not the majority! anyway good luck for the rest of the season :drink:

I forgot to mention I made you man of the match for your 2 goals plus you chasing the ball all over the pitch.

It's a pitty when you and Coxy were 1-on-1 he sliced his pass to you as you would have had your hat-trick.

3 goals now in 2 games.

More of the same this Saturday please.

thanks!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ok smithy you were obviously in a better position to see yourself, as it was me who was last man and calling for the offside all the time, maybe he did get one or maybe two wrong but not the majority! anyway good luck for the rest of the season :drink:

good luck for sunday!! :thumbsup:

Have to be honest quite an accurate write up from cornish teddy boy quite often they are biased from the home supporters but that about summed it up, just too many of us had our eye on sunday but that said we still could of won but didnt.

The only point that was wrong is:

Liam Devine gets booked for a bit of afters as he reacts to being stood on whilst on the ground

He wasnt booked for reacting to being stood on, as after he made the clear foul for the pen he continued to stamp all over me on the ground and it was me who reacted.

Oops sorry Gee.

There was a crowd of players in the way from where I was sitting in the stand plus I had the Helston players standing on the seats blocking my way!

I repeated what I was told by someone who could see!

I try to write my reports in a non bias way as what you see on here goes in our Reserves team programme plus it is emailed to the Cornishman who use the reports for their West Britain/Cornishman editions. I don't get paid but do it for the club.

The worst thing is I can only write by printing. Left handed you see and I find it quicker to write in capitals than joined up writing. Sometimes the action is quicker than I can sribble.

The worse thing is when Penzance score, I stand up, cheer then have to sit down and write up what I saw. This season I haven't had many oppertunities to cheer.

The bottom of the Combo is getting interesting especially as Portreath will be promoted. Oops did I say that. I give everthing away. Soon there will be no point anyone turning up for the AGM in June as it will all be on here.

CTB

Guest Doomer17

Tut!!

First of all, you could say 3 FIRST TEAMERS, Silky, Liam and Coxie, Darren Ball was a first teamer but hasn't played first team at all this season and has played 2nds only.

The only first teamer on the bench was a goalkeeper, so therefore 4 in total(or 5 if you want to be technical)..not 7!

And also, nobody is saying that we've won the league, can you guys not see how big the 3 points were for us?(this week and against wendron)

Nobody is trying to gloat or showboat, its just huge in our situation, and i think Illogan will agree it was a good game that was played in the right manor.

I remember reading a similar thing when we 'just' lost to Truro city 1-0, all because we used 6 first teamers... A lot of clubs actually agreed that if you have them available, why not use them? Thats the idea of having 1sts and reserves, e.t.c.

Awesome again marcus, deserved a hat trick! Going to be massive for us..great signing for the club.

I had an awful second half so my apologies for that! Doesnt help being injured but i make no excuses. Big game against mullion guys..come on!

Lets not let this snow ball it was a good result for you boys so well done.

My only issue I ever have with 1st team players being played is that it is unfair on the other sides around you who play with the same squad all year but yourselves and wendron etc can draft in as many 1st team as you want to get a result.

If it came down to the last game and you boys had to win to stay up and your 1st team have no game you would no doubt throw in as many 1st teamers as you can to get a win (which you are allowed to do) I dont see why there cant be the same rule as combo to mining that you have to be re instated to play and you can only have 2 reinstated playing it will soon fix that problem.

But just to finish there is no animosity from tuesday at all thats just the way it goes and we will be putting everything into this sunday as that is our whole season really and hope we get to the final and hammer Truro (whoops got carried away)

do u boys honestly think uve done enough to win the league!! NO!! sorry to ruin ur hopes but u havent, so$ wat u beat illogan!! who cares??

i think you hav over reacted a jus a lil bit dont u?? tit!

we are not claimin we'v won tha league or nout!

we r jus sooooo happy to get a back to back win!! and if im correct (ctb, or damo can correct me if im wrong!! :D ) thats the first of the season!!

anyway if u read my earlier comment i said good luck for sunday--but as for your cheap shot comment i take it back!! hope u get stuffed m8!!! :yahoo::thumbsup: lololol only kiddin its only footy boys!!!

well playd damo by the way m8!! some great shot stoppin again!! just worried me wen u dropped that cross under no pressure!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

c u 2mo!!!

here we're down to bear bones again?? apparently first team are strugglin!! and are lookin at takin a coupl of ours! :angry2:

so you could be short tomorrow?? anything to do with 7 players from tuesday with 1sts tomorrow and players left out on tuesday telling you to :D stuff it {or simaler}????

not at all, first team are short due to injuries-and are callin some 2nd teamers up-which in turn makes us short

was it that hard to understand?? :blink:

Guest WINNO

I WATCHED THIS GAME AND AS A NEUTRAL. I WILL COMMENT ON IT AS BEING CRAP. YES BEFORE YOU START NO WE AT HELSTON ARE NOT THE BEST AND IM NOT SAYING WE ARE.

I DON'T KNOW WHY ILLOGAN WANTED TO PLAY THE GAME BIRCHEY WASNT THERE AND THE PLAYERS FROM WHAT I COULD SEE DIDNT REALLY WANT TO BE NEITHER.

THE GAME IN MY EYES MATTERED MORE TO PENZANCE AND YES THEY PLAYED 1ST TEAMERS AND THERE ISNT ANY WRONG IN THAT. BUT DOESNT IT SHOW THAT ALOT OF THOSE PLAYERS WHO DID PLAY WOULD STRUGGLE TO GET INTO ANY GOOD COMBO SIDE AS THEY DIDNT STAND OUT TO ME AT ALL!!! THEY DID NOT REALLY MAKE PENZANCE LOOK ANY BETTER THAN A BELOW PAR ILLOGAN WHOM I KNOW CAN PLAY ALOT BETTER THAN THAT..... I THINK COME THE END PENZANCE WERE VERY LUCKY AS IT WAS ILLOGAN PRESSURE NON STOP. BUT SOMETIMES THINGS GO FOR YOU AND AFTER THE ROTTEN SEASON YOU ARE HAVING PERHAPS THIS WAS THE RESULT YOU DESERVE...

C U SUNDAY GARETH... NOT TO MANY BEERS SATURDAY NIGHT BUD!!!!!!!!

winno i know you say its not wrong to play 1st teamers but 4/5 of your end of season midweek games are against reserve sides.you,ve had a great season but final finish place will be a lot harder than if you were to play these teams when 1sts are playing on a sat.sympaphize with you mate you,ll still give em a good game but it ain,t fair.many years ago we lost combo league in simaler circumstances and it still pisses me off.

2 words guys, SENIOR FOOTBALL !!!!!!! We have 2 senior sides at Porthleven & if a player is playing well for the combo side, he deserves a chance to play for the 1st team ! ( Matt Fox & Jason Robertson ). Likewise, a player going through a rough time with the 1st team drops down & plays some games for the 2nds ( Paul Ainscough & Mike Davis ). Whats the point in running 2 senior teams if this is not the benifit to everyone at the club ! I constantly hear a lot of people saying, myself included, that the SWPL West is no better than the combo anyway, so where is the problem ? I personnaly feel that at least the top 8 in the combo would more than hold their own in the SWPL West, so this argument about "STRENGHINING" teams with 1st team players just dosnt hold water fellas. :SM_carton:

Guest WINNO

Handsome. None of us like it when players from higher leagues are added to teams. But it happens and so long as its above board then I cant see a problem!!!!

No it's not fair but its up to that manager to play those players. I just think the rule should be open to all clubs no matter if its senior or junior it will allow clubs to run properly dropping players etc.....

Totally agree with Kev's point and as he showed in his example there were only 2 players going up 2 coming down etc, which is fine and we often do that at Illogan drop a couple down to 2nds for 1 reason or another but we can only do that with 2 players who have to be re instated. What I think is wrong is that in senior footy you can play as many as you want in your 2nds if they are also senior.

Im sure you would feel alot different winno if you ad Truro last game of teh season and you had to beat them to win the league and they turn around and play the entire 1st team to get the result.

Why cant you just have the same rule as you do combo to fal&hel\mining only 2 players who have to be re instated and only 2 re instated players allowed to play.