Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - best days ending in coming years?

I love the SWPL and see lots of games, mostly in the West division. It has been great that 'the West' incorporated all Cornish Clubs at this level, bar Millbrook and Torpoint.  However, maybe the good days of the league are numbered? Surely coming seasons may see the 'big clubs' like Mousehole, St Austell, St Blazey,  Newquay and others leave for the WL after SWPL success..... Maybe even Bodmin who have been averse to moving up the pyramid too 😉 Will anyone want to be left behind?

The medium term impact could be no well supported clubs, poorer grounds and a poorer product. I hope not.

At least within Cornwall, who are the clubs with good setups and ambition,  to fill the pending void to be left? I'd love to be educated on this one!

It will come again. No certainty that clubs promoted to step 5 will stay there, and space is now being created for ambitious clubs to step up into the Peninsula. Even the biggest fans of the South Western/Peninsula West would say that the stagnation caused by no promotion/relegation wasn't good. 

One big positive to come out of this will be that it gives more spice to the Senior Cup. The Western League clubs will certainly be seen as prize scalps to take, Helston at Falmouth, Saltash at Liskeard and Millbrook at Torpoint for example.

On 27/04/2021 at 19:26, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I love the SWPL and see lots of games, mostly in the West division. It has been great that 'the West' incorporated all Cornish Clubs at this level, bar Millbrook and Torpoint.  However, maybe the good days of the league are numbered? Surely coming seasons may see the 'big clubs' like Mousehole, St Austell, St Blazey,  Newquay and others leave for the WL after SWPL success..... Maybe even Bodmin who have been averse to moving up the pyramid too 😉 Will anyone want to be left behind?

The medium term impact could be no well supported clubs, poorer grounds and a poorer product. I hope not.

At least within Cornwall, who are the clubs with good setups and ambition,  to fill the pending void to be left? I'd love to be educated on this one!

Both sides - surely the point will be, there will be more Cornish teams in the WL and a fair few in Devon - this will actually mean the WL will end up more like the SWPL of a few seasons ago - just a few odd away trips into Dorset / South Bristol. There will be as many decent fixtures to watch - just under a different name? I watch a fair few WL games and it is overall a better standard - but one where the top 10 in the SWPL could feature and once there - we can all look forward to FA changing it all again.