Cornwall Football Forum

A question for those in the know

We all know that the FA want to start filling the Western League Premier with sides from Cornwall and Devon to try to bring it's centre of gravity Westwards to make it easier for travelling and costs for clubs down here.

What I want to know is, what happens to the Western League First Division? Will Cornwall and Devon sides that finish in the Western League Premier relegation spots be forced to join the Western League Division One eventually forcing that Westwards as well or will they get a choice to drop back into the SWPL instead with all that entails with promotion/relegation with the St Piran League?

Will the choice be made by the FA? If they are forced into Western League One, for the first few clubs the cost will be higher than those in the Western Premier as there will be no other Cornish sides in that Division. Will there be a "Golden Parachute" for those first few sides? 

Also if a Cornish side wins the Western Premier but refuses promotion to the Southern League due to cost/time constraints, how far down the pyramid will they be relegated by the FA, down to the St Piran?

Lets pretend everything is up and running in 5 years time and a few Cornish sides are dotted amongest both Western League Divisions. If one of our local sides finishes in a relegation spot in Western One, do they drop to the SWPL or St Piran. If they are dropped into the St Piran, is it possible for a St Piran side to apply to join Western One instead of having to go the SWPL route?

Answers on a postcard but it makes you think that the FA have put got themselves twisted by allowing SWPL to be a feed to Western Premier and not Western One.

I am only asking before I choose this week's lottery numbers because a promise is a promise.

18 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

We all know that the FA want to start filling the Western League Premier with sides from Cornwall and Devon to try to bring it's centre of gravity Westwards to make it easier for travelling and costs for clubs down here.

What I want to know is, what happens to the Western League First Division? Will Cornwall and Devon sides that finish in the Western League Premier relegation spots be forced to join the Western League Division One eventually forcing that Westwards as well or will they get a choice to drop back into the SWPL instead with all that entails with promotion/relegation with the St Piran League?

Will the choice be made by the FA? If they are forced into Western League One, for the first few clubs the cost will be higher than those in the Western Premier as there will be no other Cornish sides in that Division. Will there be a "Golden Parachute" for those first few sides? 

Also if a Cornish side wins the Western Premier but refuses promotion to the Southern League due to cost/time constraints, how far down the pyramid will they be relegated by the FA, down to the St Piran?

Lets pretend everything is up and running in 5 years time and a few Cornish sides are dotted amongest both Western League Divisions. If one of our local sides finishes in a relegation spot in Western One, do they drop to the SWPL or St Piran. If they are dropped into the St Piran, is it possible for a St Piran side to apply to join Western One instead of having to go the SWPL route?

Answers on a postcard but it makes you think that the FA have put got themselves twisted by allowing SWPL to be a feed to Western Premier and not Western One.

I am only asking before I choose this week's lottery numbers because a promise is a promise.

Best of luck with both those lotteries...lol.

The swpl premier is a higher level than western 1  that is why promotion from swpl puts you in western prem so you would be relegated to swell

Just now, hoppit said:

The swpl premier is a higher level than western 1  that is why promotion from swpl puts you in western prem so you would be relegated to swell

Swpl not,swell

The SWPL is at the same level as Western 1, which is why promotion from SWPL is to Western Prem.

Relegation from Western Prem is at the FA's discretion, but would be on a geographical basis. For example, Saltash would return to SWPL, but Cullompton may well end up in Western 1. Neither would be relegated to the St Piran as that is more than a one division drop.

A club refusing promotion would be relegated two divisions I think, but I stand to be corrected on this.

(Sorry that I haven't got any postcards at the moment, didn't know that they were still around.)

My understanding is that promotion (and indeed relegation) is from step to step, and not between leagues. The FA juggles clubs between leagues to even up numbers at step levels, and that does result in unhappy people.  Chipping Sodbury were initially shifted from the Western League to Hellenic League for season 2020/21 ,but were moved back on appeal. Reallocation of clubs would be how the FA would fit Devon and Cornwall clubs into step 5, while gradually shifting the Western League away from its current heavy Bristol and Bath area focus. As for consequences and penalties for not taking promotion, I'll keep the lid firmly sealed on that can of worms...

On 17/03/2021 at 11:32, Way Of The Park said:

My understanding is that promotion (and indeed relegation) is from step to step, and not between leagues. The FA juggles clubs between leagues to even up numbers at step levels, and that does result in unhappy people.  Chipping Sodbury were initially shifted from the Western League to Hellenic League for season 2020/21 ,but were moved back on appeal. Reallocation of clubs would be how the FA would fit Devon and Cornwall clubs into step 5, while gradually shifting the Western League away from its current heavy Bristol and Bath area focus. As for consequences and penalties for not taking promotion, I'll keep the lid firmly sealed on that can of worms...

Agree. But the FA did a certain relegation in the neighbouring Wessex League. Andover walked the Step 5 league, refused promotion and the FA relegated them to Step 6. They've not recovered. 

The days of buying the league and staying down,  are coming to a close. You've got to have a massive reason to refuse.