Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Youth Under 18's - 2000/ 2019.

With time indoors let me give you a selection of Squads that have represented Cornwall over the past twenty years.

First up is the squad that won the SW Counties Knockout Cup, this match played at Melksham Town FC saw Cornwall defeat Somerset by 4 goals to nil.

Date Sunday 16th April 2000.

Squad in no particular order.

Martin Atkinson...............Newquay FC.

Philip Burgoyne..............Wadebridge Town.

Andrew Dyer.................Truro City.

Ellis Glassup................St.Austell.

Dean Harris................Truro City.

Ian Hodges...............Falmouth Town

Andy Morris..........Falmouth Town

Dan Nancarrow.....St.Austell.

Stuart Parkyn.......Wadebridge Town.

Mark Penpraze.....Waebridge Town.

Matt Perry........Falmouth Town.

Wayne Riley.....St.Austell.

Kevin Robertson....Torpoint Ath.

Phil Smith.....St.Austell ( Capt. )

Andrew Stevens.....St.Dennis

Mark Vercesi .......Bodmin Town.

Daniel Williams....Porthleven.

Steve Winnan .......Falmouth Town.

Manager: Kevin Rowett, Assistant: Terry Huddy, Coach: John Clarke, Physio: Brian Matthews.

Information taken from the match day programme.

More squads to follow whist we are all in lock-down. Keep safe everyone.

Hi Dave, hope you're safe and well mate. During the boredom I found this beauty from my first season in the County Youth team when I was 16. You might notice our "back up" keeper in the squad, a certain Nigel Martyn!!! Think he went on to do better than the rest of us!! 😁👍👏 5 Mark's in that squad as well! Glad no one called me that anyway! Only my mum when I was in trouble!! 😁🙄 Decent side but we lost a couple silly games that season! 🙄😮 All the best Dave, enjoy looking at the old county youth sides over the years, keep them coming mate 👍

20200403_194248.jpg

58 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Hi Dave, hope you're safe and well mate. During the boredom I found this beauty from my first season in the County Youth team when I was 16. You might notice our "back up" keeper in the squad, a certain Nigel Martyn!!! Think he went on to do better than the rest of us!! 😁👍👏 5 Mark's in that squad as well! Glad no one called me that anyway! Only my mum when I was in trouble!! 😁🙄 Decent side but we lost a couple silly games that season! 🙄😮 All the best Dave, enjoy looking at the old county youth sides over the years, keep them coming mate 👍

20200403_194248.jpg

Rappo.

Thanks for the above reply, amazing that Nigel Martyn was only the reserve keeper !!!

Some really interesting selections, Nigel Pugh and of course the legend that was Dave Gardener.

Prophet

Burt   Beel.  Pugh(c)  Dingle

Pope   Gardner   Lugg   Gerald

Baron.  Rapsey

Subs)  Martyn, Brown, Lenton, Eva

Pretty sure that was the side that day Dave. Drew 1-1 with Dave scoring a header to equalise playing in midfield in his younger days and Pughie was captain. Was like Virgil Van Dyke when he was 17! Big old monster for a kid! Burtie was playing right back for Newquay 1st team at 16 before injury.ended his career by 21, Beeler joined the Army at 18, Dings had a good SWL career, Popey and Gerald both had injuries and fell away from the men’s game, although I think Grenville played a few seasons at Bideford? Bars was a better striker than me back then In my opinion but never fulfilled his huge potential with injuries and other stuff, me and Dave luckily went on to win loads with Falmouth a few years later playing in a great team, Browner had a couple seasons with a good Bodmin side, Milky Lenton tough as nails joined the Marines, and the talented Mark Eva played down West but was unlucky with injuries when he got to men’s football. Big Trev in goal disappeared from football altogether and Nige got spotted by Bristol Rovers the following season and the rest is history as they say! 650 Premier league appearances and 23 England caps! Great bloke Nige deserved everything he got, as they say it’s a funny old game!! 😀👍️ Just can’t believe it’s 36 years ago! 😳🙄🤔

Another County Under 18 Squad , this time in the South West County Championship against the Army Under 18s at Penlee Park Penzance in October 2000.

Not all 'Counties' were keen to travel  so far west in those days although they thought nothing of making us travel miles 'up country', not so the Services who are used to  long journeys. 

The game resulted in a 2 nil win for Cornwal, and if my memory serves me correctly was the last time the two sides met as the Army withdrew from this competition at the end of the season.

20200404_084611.jpg

Cornwall v Gwent at Priory Park, Bodmin.

30th March 2003.

At the conclusion of one of those 'not to be seasons' this was sufficient as it saw the end of the managerial reign of Kevin Rowett and his staff, Kevin appointed in the summer of1994 when the County Under 18' rejoined the South West County Championship after a eight year absence.

He was highly respected by his peers and guided the County to two SWC Championships and a SWC K/O Cup Winners Trophy.

20200405_160021.jpg

South  West  Counties Youth Championships. 

Oxfordshire v Cornwall. 

March 2004.

Venue: Iffney Road,  Oxford.

The playing area  was  surrounded by the running track  made famous by Sir Roger Bannister in 1954 when he ran inside 4 minutes for the legendary 1 mile distance. The first athlete to achieve this feat.

The cinder track had gone replaced by a synthetic surface.

20200407_171311.jpg

I diverse slightly. 

South  West  Counties  Senior Section. 

Cornwall  v Gloucestershire. 

St.Blazey FC 5th Feb. 2005.

My only Senior Programme unfortunately.

Some  names to conjure with here.

The previous season  the County were SWC Champions for the first time, still no photos to celebrate that occasion,  so maybe during the current lockdown someone may raid their attic, unearth their scrapbook and find some photos,  if so give me a call, 01726 64399.

TH

20200408_100642.jpg

Back  to County Youth business.

We move forward to the Spring of 2007.

The Play Off Final of the SWC Championship. 

Cornwall v Hampshire at St.Blazey, 5th May 2007.

Not to be this time around, Cornwall on the day beaten by a better side. I don't have the score to hand but definitely a two goal margin .

But a good Cornwall side never the less whose  only defeat in the Championship  was this final tie,  

20200410_154730.jpg

Season 2008/09.

Cornwall South West County Youth Champions for the third time.

Result: Cornwall 3 Oxfordshire 0.

A very solid squad, blessed with talented strikers, lead by the prolific Liam Eddy.

Goalscorers that day, well if my memory serves me correctly Liam got all three.

Again their only defeat of the season came in the FACYC, early in the season to visiting Worcestershire at Saltash.

One away victory stood out that season and that was a 4-1 away win at Chippenham against a strong Wiltshire side who on the day really fancied their chances, but came unstuck against this outstanding squad of players.

20200415_184532.jpg

Few Counties have retained  the South West County Championship from the previous season, however in May 2010  Cornwall joined that elete group of achievers by defeating Gloucestershire CFA by 4 goals to nil. The venue Bitton FC on the outskirts of Bristol. That season the side also reached the Quarter FInals of the FACYC, losing away to Liverpool CFA. Once again a very talented squad who did their county proud. 

20200417_151129.jpg

Season 2012 / 2013.

South West  Counties Youth Championship.

Cornwall v Somerset at Penlee Park, Penzance.

Saturday 9th March 2013.

Tommy's  last game in charge, under his tenureship the County won two S.W. Championships and were runners up on one occasion, a true gentleman both on and off the field of play, it was a privilege to work alongside of him.

Match result a 2 - 0 win for the Cornwall lads.

20200420_193838.jpg

James Ross replaced Tommy Matthew's as the County Under 18's Team Manager, 'Rossie' had previously captained the side in 1994 when they won the SWC Championship for the first time, more about that to follow.

Success in April 2014 when the side won the SWC Knockout Cup for th second time. A 2 - 0 victory over Oxfordshire with goals from Alex Coles and Jordan Annear.

Glynn Hooper took over from James Ross in 2016 and guided the couny side to its first ever appearance in the FA County Youth Cup Final a year later.

The County Youth Committee was absorbed by the Competitions Committee that same season and the reins of organising representative county fixtures were in the safe hands of Richard Pallott, my 30 years had come to an end.

Between 1994 and 1999 two Championship titles came our way, I will give these a mention.

20200422_091645.jpg

The standard of county youth football is extremely high and in all my time in charge I can’t think of a single player who didn’t enjoy their opportunity to play for Cornwall. 
I was lucky to work alongside great people as coaches, physios, administrators and of course players who gave everything they had as ambassadors on and off the field.  It made such a difference that everything  was brilliantly organised from start to finish. 
Great times! 

In the summer of 1994 Cornwall Youth Under 18's returned to the South West County Championship after an 8 year absence,  and under the management lead by Kevin Rowett they returned in style, winning the title on a hot May afternoon at Alton FC defeating the hosts Hampshire County FA by 3 goals to 1.

They also narrowly missed out on a place in the final of the FA County Youth Cup losing a Semi Final replay ( in those days ) to Liverpool CFA.

20200423_154246.jpg

Found this squad photo, taken roundabout 1990. 

Unfortunately I don't have the names to go with the photo, maybe someone has saved the match day programme for their scrapbook. 

Anyone recognise himself or any of the others, if so let me know via davebrayer06@gmail.com. 

And Dan I unfortunately don't have any more photos that I can find at present, what happened to the Phil Smith Memorial Trophy ?,  we should revise a match once we get back to playing again, keep in touch.

20200510_150703.jpg