Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Tuesday 7th November 2017

A game of 2 halves. Helton resisted some early pressure and dominated the H1. Sticker got their act together in H2, received a generous Pen, were denied a stonewaller soon after. The 2nd goals for each side were absolute crackers. Can't see too many complaints with the draw. 

Pretty much sums it up Baldy. Sticker could have been 3-0 up in the first 20 minutes when Jack Bowyer had three one on ones well saved by Barry Wyatt and then went behind to a close range deflected goal by Matt Buchan. Five minutes later Dan Stidwell cut in from the right and hit a superb strike into the far corner, one of the best goals I’ve seen this season. Stickey came flying out the traps 2nd half and got a penalty which I would say was 70/30 converted by Jack who went on to miss a couple more good chances, could have had five himself on another night perhaps? Frank Macevoy then hit a screamer from the left into the far corner to almost match Stidwells goal for the equaliser. How ref Mr D,archy? didn’t give a pen for a foul on Lloydy with about 15 to go I’ll never know? Was a stonewall 100/0% no doubt! This ref always seems to antagonise players and supporters for some reason? Not one to criticise the man in black if I can help it but there always seems to be controversy around this chap? The best refs you don’t even notice I think? Thought Tom Smith was still a classy act at the back for Helston, excellent positioning. Also both keepers made a couple great reflex saves and thought the Sticker midfield played well especially second half. Helston forced half a dozen late corners but a draw was probably a fair result over the 90 minutes. Pitch and lights looking great ? 

I made my first ever trip to Burngullow last night to cover the game with the Voice - report in next weeks paper.

Firstly, the Sticker club as a whole should be very proud of the way they do things on match days. Friendly chaps on the gate, even directed to a parking space in the car park! I've covered games at a much higher level and not received a welcome like that from some places.

Onto the game and as has been said above, Sticker could have been out of sight in the opening 20 minutes, but Helston still looked good with the ball with the lad Buchan a constant threat.

His goal was a tad fortunate, but Stidwell's was out of the top drawer and it was a goal that would struggle to be bettered at any level this season.

After half-time, Sticker won a very soft penalty, then equalised with another stunning finish and then were denied a certain penalty. Didn't think the referee had that bad a game, but was a little over zealous with the way he spoke to some of the players and after a couple of reckless challenges in the second half, could have lost control on another day.

Late-on, Helston rallied, but couldn't turn a succession of late corners into a winner which they probably didn't deserve.

I was very impressed with Kirk Davies and he was Helston's best player - confident on the ball going forward and solid in defence. For Sticker, Duff had a quiet first half, but grew into the game and pulled the strings in the second half. He always seemed to find space, used the ball sensibly and some of his touches were sublime.

Just to finish, I was disappointed not to meet you Sticker Forever as from your post, you must have been at the game. 

Don’t get to every game in my old age these days but will certainly look out for you if I do. Glad you enjoyed the Sticker hospitality. The club has come a long way since my first activity with them in the seventies, the changing rooms were down the road and you had to walk up across a field and over the hedge where the stand is now to get to the pitch! Proper grassroots stuff.

According to a Phil Hiscox report on the SWPL forum, during the halftime break Steve Massey approached him and said, this will be the first time you will have seen one of my teams win a match !!!!
Unfortunately for Mr Massey, Phil is still waiting.
Might explain some of the whinging and foul language coming from the Helston dugout area though.