Cornwall Football Forum

Germany -v- England

Mangle

Ok, I haven't watched England in too many of their recent games, but I thought I'd give this one my time. Up against the world's best. So, where are we? Well, as we approach half time in this game, having just gone 1 nil down (should be 2 nil), there are some glaring differences. Whilst I think we have good players that can hold their own internationally, like Kane, Alli, Welbeck, Henderson, Lallana, our defense is a class below (at least) the opposition. Smalling, Rose, Clyne.......when they get the ball at their feet, they do not look confident. Dier, in front the back 4 is, well, dire! He also looks shaky with any time on the ball, or rather, when any of our defensive players get the ball, they do not look like they have got any time!! It is clearly evident at goal kicks. The Germans simply pass the short ball out, player gets closed down by Kane/Welbeck etc, a short pass, confidence, and not once did they look under pressure, given that the England forwards were doing their best to close down. At the other end, any time we attempt a short goal kick, it's edge of the seat watching through fingers time......

My half time prediction, 3-0 Germany (although going forward, England have the players that are causing problems). Heart says 1-2 England, I do want them to win, but....I fear for them.

27 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Good goal from Vardy if this was Messi or Ronaldo it would be on all the sports/ news channels  and everyone would be raving about it , good away win  and no Rooney in sight .

Good goal from Vardy.

What about Harry Kane's bit of Cruyff magic to leave £40 million of rubbish Mezil Ozil on his backside,to score.

Then Eric Dier scoring the winner,and Danny Rose getting MOTM.?

Oh and Dele Alli did,nt have a bad game either.

COYS.

English football has gone full circle. For years we had the best defenders in the world (Butcher, Adams, Campbell, Ferdinand,  Terry) giving us a solid Base but we lacked real quality in the final 3rd. Yes we had some top players up the park but not the natural quality we have now. Dele Alli was top class all game, only bettered in the first half by Toni Kroos pure passing ability. Welbeck is the product of what we as a country look for in youth or grass roots football. You have to be an athlete and we can teach football (I've had this very line said to me by Tottenham). You may be able to teach football technique but you can't teach the natural feel for the game.

For me England need to bring back John Terry if we have any chance of a run at the Euros and believe in the young talents of Alli, Kane and Barkley. 

Look let's not get carried away  SSS good goal by Kane  as well , and I hope he can carry on scoring for England , but Germany are always a different team in competition , didn't see the game so can't comment on the Spurs contingent just passed comment on seeing Vardy goal  when a player plays for England club doesn't come into it , but some hang on to anything to do with the team they support just to score points , due to injuries some players get a chance to play , I just hope Roy picks players in form not the so called favourites or injury plagued  including Jack Wilshire as they can't afford to take passengers and it's not fair to the squad,

Look let's not get carried away  SSS good goal by Kane  as well , and I hope he can carry on scoring for England , but Germany are always a different team in competition , didn't see the game so can't comment on the Spurs contingent just passed comment on seeing Vardy goal  when a player plays for England club doesn't come into it , but some hang on to anything to do with the team they support just to score points , due to injuries some players get a chance to play , I just hope Roy picks players in form not the so called favourites or injury plagued  including Jack Wilshire as they can't afford to take passengers and it's not fair to the squad,

I imagine a much changed team on Tuesday v The Netherlands

Forster 

Walker - Cahill - Jagielka - Stones.

Walcott - Barclay - Drinkwater - Milner

Vardy - Sturridge

Subs

Heaton - Clyne - Smalling - Rose - Dier - Henderson - Lallana - Alli - Wellbeck - Kane

I think Germany have grown old together and England's speed caught them out, however, we were suspect at the back but saying that we were a young team that got better the more they got used to each others play, an entertaining game but we must not get carried away, a lot of work to do.

Come the day of reckoning Clyne - Smalling - Dier - Henderson - Lallana & Vardy  may have to give way to the more experienced players from Tuesday's team. When Euro2016 gets into full swing I can see players like Vardy being used as impact players to liven things up.

As you all know I am an Arsenal fan but Theo shouldn't be picked for the squad ,  I like the man but he has not earned a starting spot for the Gunners  so why should he get picked for his country ?  In my opinion I think he is at a cross roads in his career at Arsenal and he may have to move on .

Wow, I must have watched a different game. Rose did not get MoM, I thought Alli did, and deserved. But, as I said, we have players that can create problems, and goals, going forward, but defensively, we looked shaky. Rose was not convincing for me. Smalling, really, come on, he is clumsy, and just manages to "get away with it". Cahill is the best player we had on the night at the back, and performed the worst. Clyne, same as Rose, not convinced. Looked low in confidence to me. They all had their moments, but overall, I still think we were lucky to win that game. I know Dier scored the winner, and I was happy, but apart from that, he did not convince me he was a good international player. I guess he needs more games at that level? With Spurs qualifying for the CL next year, that will only help. 

However, I think everyone has got carried away with this, yes a good "away win" in Germany, but we "won nothing". When it comes to competition, we will struggle. But with Kane, Vardy, Lallana, Welbeck, Alli, Barkley, Henderson, and attack being the best form of defense, we always have a "punchers chance".

Stevieb -  I agree with you about Walcott, he could be classed an impact player to bring off the bench as someone to get at the opposition, even at that his contribution lacks the explosive bursts he demonstrated early in his career.

We would all disagree when picking our choice but I fail to see how Henderson ever did enough to wear an England shirt, I say that as one of the supporters who attended all our qualifying games home and away including friendlies during the past year, I just don't rate him.

Barclay was brilliant 6 months or so ago but since then his game appears to have declined a little so for me from one of the first names on the team sheet he has slipped onto the subs bench, even Lallana is less effective than he was.

Wellbeck always does well for England but I think he lacks 90 minute fitness so is likely to be one to be subbed (not ideal) but I have always liked him in the team - I think we have the young players to do the job this time around and for that we have to thank Roy Hodgson for giving them the opportunity to show what they can do. In the past playing established players has not worked apart from my memories of 1966. I'm looking forward to my many trips to France. 3 booked already and one provisionally lined up for Paris if we win the group.

Oh dear. England found out by a mediocre Dutch side. Does not surprise me. Defensively, England are poor. Well done to Drinkwater, looked cool and collected, good movement, confident, especially considering it was his debut. Should have been a penalty against Rose after 6 mins. We are not looking good for the Euros.

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Spot on stevieb - but, who would pay the salary he was given when he signed his new contract. 

Strange the club pays good money for a player who when his contract was coming up for renewal he was playing out of his skin and fans including myself did not want to lose him but surprise he gets a new deal and he has gone backwards  complacency has set in , when he came on last night I know not that long but he looks lost , but then again not many players stepped up last night ,  I am not sure what has happened to Llanna but he also seems to have lost his sparkle at Liverpool . Could have lost by more Rose lucky to get away with the pen decision first half , but also a foul against England  which resulted in Holland second goal , as Older stated only a friendly , but if they want to go to the Euro's  surely they should be busting a gut to get into the squad ,  most of them just seemed disinterested last night a waste of time watching that display  .

I agree with most things being written by everyone. But no one seems to be worried that we are there for the taking. Our only hope is that the forwards are capable, against anyone. But the further back we go, the worse we get. Defense is rubbish. Clyne and Rose have pace, as does Walker, but defensively, not great (their pace gets them out of some of the problems they get into). Smalling, don't rate him at all. Cahill, good player but seems out of form. Back up......Stones? Not convinced. I suppose it's all we've got, and they can only get better, can't they?

We have got to get out of a group with Russia, Wales and Slovakia. It's going to be tough.