Cornwall Football Forum

I've been lucky enough to watch a few games this season, Including Helston 6 v 0 Perranwell, Falmouth 0 v 4 Helston, Hayle 0 v 3 Truro and when Truro beat Penryn 5-1.

After watching these games i am quite excited to watch the "Helston v Truro" encounter to basically decide who wins the league. I think It'll be too close when they play for a number of reasons; Truro can play fine football and so can Helston ocasionally- not to truros standard, but lack the physical presence that Helston have. By watching both teams play i can see Helston have so much to play for and have bags of determination where as Truro just seem to go through the motions and seem frustrated that they are playing in this league.

I think that who ever is at home will win the game... But i unfortunately don't see another team in the Combination to stop Helston dropping points except Truro. Is the 6pt deduction too much??? IF Helston win the games in hand they will be 8 pts clear.

I fear for Truro and think Helston will do it.

What are anyones else's thoughts....

I have also heard that for Helstons Man of the Match, They have to wear a Truro Shirt after the game! Tongue in cheek from Helston, obviously are not worried about the White tigers!

i've played both teams this season and to me helston seemed a much better outfit, no disrespect to truro but bringing in players from the 1st team (as they can only take a team of 11 and 3 subs) does seem to upset the team slighlty!!

also

if helston did win the league would they want to step up to the peninsula league west??

When are the two fixtures set for?

For Helstons position they wouldnt want evening games when Truro could juggle their team.

Its part of the Truro master plan to win the league at all costs so as to keep a good standard between their first team which is expected to go Southern League next season.

So Helston secretary be on your guard if these fixtures are not yet decided.

Both Helston and Truro are quality sides as their results show, However I would be very suprised to see either team go the whole season without dropping points to any other clubs. Teams very often have bad spells during the season even at premiership level. An injury to Dom Pullen could be a major set-back to Helston, they are not a one man team by any sorts but Dom is knocking in the goals like no tomorrow, no team would not miss a player like him. Truro might upset their play by the inclusion of first team players. As a neutral good luck to both sides will be entertaining whoever wins title!

as a neutral of both clubs but a friend of winno i would love helston to win the combo(very impressed with the last halfhour i saw them play at falmouth yesday) however i just fear truros huge resources will enable them to keep their squad at full strength if not stronger as the season goes on they can drop down/load up as winno likes to say! at will.And with trevors nous once hes had a good look at what other combo teams have to offer including Helston their may be some eye catching transfers. how will helston react when injuries and suspensions inevitably weaken their squad will there be players of sufficient calibre to step in i hope so and that the title chase runs its full course as helston have been a breath of fresh air throughout all the leagues their teams participate in this season with both the ressies and thirds flying high

Well Helston if you win the league i expect kevin heeney would buy your team to get promoted the following season. or he would buy your team in the south west 1 league and change your name to truro city! That what he has done with the womens team, Newquay will change their name to Truro City and take all the Glory! If you ask me this Truro City are doing a Tesco of the retail world. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!

Guest Helston Patriot

To be fair we have had 9 different goal scorers this season who have chipped in with 22 goals and 3 O.G's!! Dom's just a goal machine, always in the right place- sign of a good player. I think the Man city fans used to say "Feed the goat and he will score"...

Well Helston if you win the league i expect kevin heeney would buy your team to get promoted the following season. or he would buy your team in the south west 1 league and change your name to truro city! That what he has done with the womens team, Newquay will change their name to Truro City and take all the Glory! If you ask me this Truro City are doing a Tesco of the retail world. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!

John the same old negative talk that we have been hearing all season.Turn the record over.And I dont think

Kevin Heaney would want to raid Helston for players or a Helston team.He has plenty of quality players signed up already.I think when it is time to get the cheque book out,it will be over the Tamar.

As for the meeting of Helston and Truro,they are both quality sides,and should be a cracking game,and may the best team win.

KIT 65.

Totally agree with your comments Lee. Alot of people are talking about Truro and Helston all the time but there is a long long way to go and lots of good sides out there competing hard. Two years ago at Aggie we were right up there flying high and then went on a run of 3 points from 25 I think. We still finished runners up but it shows you cannot really slip up at all. I hope we will be up there all season my boys at Helston are as Ive said b4 top notch attitude and want to win! Every game is a cup final for us!!Domo is scoring for fun but its a team game and the rest of the boys are working hard as well. We have a great squad at present so I hope we will be able to cope with injuries and suspentions. Also some very good players in the 2nds who could step up easy...The biggest test for us ins't going to be Truro City it's going to be when we loose a few games how will we react to that!!!!!!!

Total respect for all the other sides in the league lets hope for good title battle..........

Respect to all the other clubs out there

My money has to be on Truro im affraid. Spoken to a few players that have played Helston and no one seems to be that impressed I believe its most of last seasons side plus a couple of good editions so dont fear anything there but a side with confidence as they have will always be hard to beat. We played Truro and although they won 4-1 and had 2 very poor penalty desicions given to them they still look a class act and play well within themselves I think come a big game like Helston, they know they will have to win and im sure they will step up another couple of gears and be too strong.

Also Helston in the past have been notorious for great starts to xmas then fading away, I hope they dont because id like to see a close run race and as for people saying saying 2 horse thats rubbish, look at Holmans they are looming in the background now after a slow start.

Like I said long long way to go. I can't understand people saying we at Helston arnt very good we have absolutely demolished a few sides and it obviously shows how good if we arnt the other sides are. We are totally committed every game as Ive said b4 the combo league is won a majority of the time by the side whom are together the most not neccesarily the one with superstars init. Illogan won last year nowhere near in my eyes the best footballing side. But a great bunch of lads 100% together whom never gave up on on anything... It can be done....

Thats fair enough Winno I agree with 99% of what your saying except the comment about us not being the best footballing side in the league last year but I wont get into that.

If we had the same squad this year as we had last year we would win the league again or certainly push Truro close. Take the combo as a whole this year and it is far weaker than it has been for several years. (not just saying that cause we won it last year before anyone moans)

The league is a junior league with senior status. Teams of old would annialte most teams in this league hands down and most of those inthe league above. Take the old Penryn and the Perranwells they would be top of the swpl ( west ) no questions. It wasnt a pop at Illogan Gareth just making a point that its not always the best footballing side that will win the league. We won it at Penryn a few years back with a group of mainly local boys whom fought hard for each other. Goonhavern also when they won it. Mousehole and Wendron in my views played the best football in this league last year followed by yourselves and Penryn.....

How are you anyway!!!!!!!

Totally agree with you Winno but hopefully with this pyramid thing it should all level out just means as I think a few people have mentioned before that combo league may be struggling to keep its status as Senior football. The facilities are still worlds apart from FHL and Mining but the football standard is certainly closing I reckon.

And yeah im good thanks, keep up the good work at Helston its good to see you being successfull in your 1st year of managing.

Guest Helston Patriot

I guess we got lucky beating Holmans 4-1, Perranwell 6-0, Falmouth 4-0. Against Falmouth gee we had 5 players who started which we didnt have last year so its more than a "couple" of "good" additions.. I think we have a good balance of Talent (except me) and togetherness and passion. Thats what i think makes a good team. Its funny what people say about us, You claim someone wasn't impressed and not to worry where as others have said we are the best team they have played... Time will tell, 28 cup finals left, i'm not foolish enough to think we wont drop pionts,we will fact. I strongly believe that we can bounce back stronger.

Goodluck to all teams

VOTE FOR PEDRO :thumbsup:

as in all football, its not usually the two ties between the top two at decide the title, its what you do against the weaker teams. great starts by both teams, but 10/10 is exceptional, with the result against perranwell standing out. what will the big time players at truro fair in mid jan, on a cowfield being kicked from pillar to post, thats where the league will be won. i think truro with their 1st team ambitions need promotion, but being a combo player of the past, its helston for me, good luck to all.

Isn't this Truro v Helston debate great news for the Combo?

I was talking to Phil Hiscox the SWPL Secretary last Friday night at the PZ v St Blazey game trying to get him to tell the SWPL clubs to increase the size of the of the Div 1 West by 2 to 18 clubs so that both Truro and Helston can be promoted.

My next task is to stop Truro 3rd team to be promoted to the Combo (to give the rest of us a chance) in replacement for their Reserves.

Also it's looking like Goonhavern will be relegated to the Combo (unless their results improve) so there won't be much scope for new teams to enter from the leagues below.

He wouldn't commit.

You also have to finish in the top 2 of the league, your ground up to scratch, etc.

Also it is up to the clubs to decide who comes up and if they will extend to 18 teams in the Div 1 West. With one going down and if they extend the numbers 2 could possible go up.

The SWPL rules say that they can have up to 54 teams in the league. 18 in each league, but as I say it's up to member clubs to alter.

Also said that they were thinking about a sup cup for the league starting in new year.

Isn't this Truro v Helston debate great news for the Combo?

I was talking to Phil Hiscox the SWPL Secretary last Friday night at the PZ v St Blazey game trying to get him to tell the SWPL clubs to increase the size of the of the Div 1 West by 2 to 18 clubs so that both Truro and Helston can be promoted.

As the SWPL ladders stand, both clubs relegated from the Premier will drop to Div 1 East. With one of the top two clubs (Wadebridge?) promoted from the Div 1 West, the league will drop to 15. If one gets relegated (Goonhaven?) then down to 14. Whether the league stays at 16 or increases to 17 or 18, there will be several new clubs in Div 1 West next season.