Cornwall Football Forum

devon teams coming into duchy league

is it true that I've heard that teams from north devon and a team from ashburton are coming into the duchy league next year and if so whats peoples thoughts ! I feel were a cornwall league and should be for cornish teams and feel if true that the cost of traveling to north devon and ashburton could be a 3 hr round trip and a lot in fuel for some who have to drive most weeks as most teams in duchy 5 are res with lots of youngster who don't drive ?

Ashwater is 10 miles north east of Launceston, sort of half way between Launceston and Holsworthy. North Petherwin and Week St Mary are shown on the map

Ashburton was the name I was told as I asked the same question and also North Devon teams as well ! North petherwin and kilk are both in cornwall so no problem with travelling to a Cornish side it's the same as having to travel to the likes of saltash from North Cornwall ! I feel I rather travel to teams in west Cornwall rather than to Devon but from what I heard the league would accept any team as long as they passed the necessary criteria ! Would like to know more info and that's why I thought I'd ask on here

There are only 2 Devon teams in the Duchy League Lamerton and Lifton and travelling there isn't really any different then traveling to Launceston or Gunnislake to be honest 10 mins difference and to be fair these teams have been in the league a long, long time. 

But... it is a bit silly to be thinking of any teams coming in from any further afar. And before I get any abuse... I am Cornish just pointing out how many teams from Devon are in the Duchy League. 

I referee in the Duchy league and i am from Plymouth, and to be honest I see no point in letting teams from Devon into the Duchy league, the league in my opinion do not need anymore teams entering it, unless Cornish sides want to apply, the league is very strong now, and if the league is in need of teams, they should be teams from the Duchy. 

There are only 2 Devon teams in the Duchy League Lamerton and Lifton and travelling there isn't really any different then traveling to Launceston or Gunnislake to be honest 10 mins difference and to be fair these teams have been in the league a long, long time. 

But... it is a bit silly to be thinking of any teams coming in from any further afar. And before I get any abuse... I am Cornish just pointing out how many teams from Devon are in the Duchy League. 

And Week St Mary possibly?

Week St.Mary is in Cornwall Dave

Thanks. I thought I would put it on as not really sure - Exeter post code and very close to Holsworthy on the map and without seeing one of the course of the Tamar difficult to tell!

Village is set in quite a rural area approached by narrow winding lanes whichever way you attempt it.Football pitch on the edge of the village.

Can't see any teams from Devon applying for the duchy league. Only a few up towards east Cornwall/Devon way that would be a close way to travel for them, so most away games would be a fair old treck. For most duchy teams it would only mean an hour or so drive to each Devon team, maybe once or twice a season. No different to travelling from a St.Austell area based team to Kilkampton, lifton, Saltash etc. On the plus side, lots of teams like a good away journey for an excuse to chip in a few quid each, hire a mini bus and go on the piss on the way back. Old school style ! Pros and cons to the debate. I personally think it's pointless for a Devon team to enter a Cornwall league but it's up to them and the duchy league.

The DUCHY league !!!    The EAST CORNWALL league !!!   Devon sides should never have been let in to these leagues in the first place.

Using that same logic, Morwenstow can sod off from the North Devon League. They can find a league in Cornwall to play in.

Edited by skippy

I wish that Cornish teams would play in Cornish leagues. I think with the exception of Truro, only Stratton United play in a non Cornish league.

Morwenstow have a team in the North Devon Gazette League.Bude and Stratton have teams in the Hodgson Insurance Kingsley League.

​But they have first teams in Cornish leagues, Stratton's only affiliation with Cornwall is the Junior Cup

• 4 weeks later...

As a former player and secretary when we had two teams we've always had this issue. We're in the middle of no where and it's a hassle what ever league Ashwater are in (bar the Kingsley league) . As a reformed club it had it teething problems but the guy that runs it now is absolutely spot on. It's an irrelevant post in my eyes as the stick on here has made them reverse the application.Hope hearing more of a factual view helps